November 21st, 2010

Delta jet makes emergency landing at JFK in New York

A Delta Air Lines flight to Russia made an emergency landing Sunday evening after encountering an engine problem shortly after takeoff from New York, the Federal Aviation Administration reported.

Delta Air Lines Flight 30 returned to John F. Kennedy International
Airport at 5:49 p.m. ET, about 50 minutes after takeoff. The Moscow-bound
Boeing 767 was forced to turn back after its crew reported a problem with its
left engine, FAA spokeswoman Holly Baker said.

FULL STORY

1. chambers natasha

thank god it returned safe and the people werent hurt

November 21, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mr Gaga

it is amazing that this didnt end in disaster because as a plane lover i would know that the 767 is a big wide body aircraft. Delta so far has a good safety record i hope they keep it that way especially with good aircraft. hopefully they arent as bad as quantas who has and accident every 5 days

November 21, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • fkyboy

Actually, Qantas has the cleanest safety record of all airlines. Get your facts straight!

November 21, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christi

Re: Mr Gaga Please do some research on Quantas. You were using a computer when you posted your response, why not take the time to get some facts.

November 22, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Deb M.

I think my brother and wife might have been on that flight, but Delta won't let me know because I don't have his flight confirmation # and that that is a "privacy" issue. My mother and I are concerned and find this very frustrating. Has anyone else been able to find out this info.? Susan Candiotti- are there any numbers to call?

November 21, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Name*Sue

My Sis and nephews are on the flight, she's been texting me. All passengers are ok and set to take off again at 10 pm on different plane.

November 21, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Deb M.

So maybe my brother isn't on the flight–anyway my brother's name is Jim (grey hair blue eyes) and his wife is Irina–Russian with short brown hair and brown eyes. Perhaps your sister might spot this couple. I have e-mailed my brother and left him a message, so maybe he isn't on this flight.

November 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. oma

Thank God d prob was noticed n d landed safely,dats d most important,

November 21, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. relationshippower21010

Keep up the interesting writing. sounds like you sparked a lot of interest by the tone of your comments section

November 21, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sean M

It was a bad leftist engine. It would not have been right at all. Just one engine would have made the plane spin around and around like the Soviet Union did. Everyone would have puked before crashing into the ground. Good thing they got on a different plane.

November 21, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. A.leo

Delta needs to update it's aircrafts, especially those 767s that date from the 1980s and use technology from 1970s. They need to invest in some new 777s and airbus 330s and 340s. I ve been on some if those 767s that delta uses and they are in a bad shape at least as far as the cabin is concerned. One time we had to wait on the Tarmac 4 hours at JFK until they fixed a problem with an engine of a 767

November 22, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. phil

I love it when people criticise airliners while driving cars that haven't been kept up. It's amazing how many people drive around and their brakes are totally worn out. Even if your reaction time is perfect, worn out brakes will vastly extend the time it takes to stop and avoid an accident. Airliners are still a lot safer way to travel than automobiles are. "The Terrorists" could claim responsibility for the deaths of thousands of Americans if they in charge of your brakes instead of you.

November 22, 2010 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mehdi General Tire&Wheel

We wiLl fix the brakkes on yor Car you lazY swine aMericuns. It suck to be you!! ha ha

November 22, 2010 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. ebonyman

i always kiss the ground when i get off a plane!

November 22, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Matt

There is some serious problem with Delta airline quality that needs to be fixed. This happened to us on the Delta fight to Stuttgart Germany (September 28th ). The right engine caught fire at 2:00 AM after 1hr into Atlantic ocean. We were sitting right behind the wing and I had to call the airline hostess and tell her that our engine is on fire. We were at 40000 ft and the pilot mananged to shut the engine off after 20 min. He dropped the plane to 10000 ft in few minutes. We thought our plane was going down. They were able make an emergency landing at St. John international Airport Newfoundland after an hour or so. We were stuck there at St, John for more than 24 hrs. This was not on CNN and Delta managed to keep this low. We had over 200 passengers with mostly US military family member with their children. There were no explanation given by Delta what really happened. It looks like Delta needs an overhaul.

November 22, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tristam Lynch

I have flown on the 757-200, MD-88, 737-800, and the 767-3ER and 767-4ER versions with Delta. All flights were excellent, smooth, and for the most part on time. I took the 767-4ER to California San Francisco and the 767-3ER to Ireland, with a return on similar 767-3ER to U.S. from Paris. Flights over the Atlantic were smooth and comfy. I would fly the 767's anytime. I once flew a 747-1 across the Atlantic, but it had to make a stop in Ireland due to a crack in a flap that broke off. I still would trust the boeing 747 and 767 versions though for long haul flights.

November 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |