November 22nd, 2010

Minnesota Vikings fire coach Brad Childress

The Vikings have given coach Brad Childress the axe.

The Minnesota Vikings have fired their head coach Brad Childress. A statement released by the team says he will be replaced by assistant Leslie Frazier.

It’s been a controversial and disappointing season for the Vikings who went to the NFC championship game last season. Childress had public disagreements with quarterback Brett Favre, and got in trouble with owner Ziggy Wilf when he didn’t tell him about his plans to release big-name wide receiver Randy Moss.

The last straw came yesterday when the Vikings were humiliated at home 31-3 by Favre’s old team and arch-rival Green Bay Packers. That dropped the Vikings record to 3-7 and virtually eliminated any chance of them making the playoffs this year.

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. Bob

Hey William Clay Ford: It's OK to fire a Coach mid season instead of renewing their contracts each year!

November 22, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. IceT

Fire Childress but keep Favre? I guess the ownership knows who sells more jerseys.

November 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suzannah

Who EVER wore a Childress jersey?? I thought he was a good coach, but who really wears the coach jersey?

November 22, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Samantha

BurnTHaIO, funny all the players i've heard talk about brett love him. same can't be said fot TO but seems other players do like Moss. gee i know more about football than a dude here, cool.

November 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • BurnTHalO

He was bashed by several players when he left the Jets, Rodgers bashed on him with the players in GB taking his side, and he was disliked in Atlanta for the way he acted. He has never left a team where he has been liked. When Favre is gone from Minnesota, you will hear the stories. And actually, Moss can say that. The Patriots players were very upset that he was gone.

November 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Semper Fi

Go Jets!

November 22, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Reality check

Detroit fans can't play GB soon enough!!

November 22, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Al

Give Tjack a chance! Look at how different Jason Campbell has been, and a lot of people wrote him off too! If I am Favre, I pack up and go and enjoy the holidays with my family. This season is over. Statistically, yes it is still possible for the Vikes to get into the playoffs, but look at how strong the NFC is this year(minus the west). Philly, Chicago, Green Bay, New York A, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Tampa Bay all are far superior teams with better records. Good records! I don't see anyway that the Vikes can Win out, be 9-7 and get a wild card spot. It's over Favre. Back to Hattiesburg.

November 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GoPACKGo

@BEQUIET: Nice come back! Like seriously who reads CNN blogs and spends time being a "human spell checker"?

Any ways, I must agree. Wisconsin residentls are very content with Rodgers and the Packers!

November 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Crimsonrain

love the comment by learn to spell

"F-A-V-R-E people, not FARVE." They need to learn to PRONOUNCE it like it's spelled...either that or his family needs to learn to spell like it's pronounced. What sort of idiot pronounces a word when a letter is pronounced before the letter that appears directly in front of it.

November 22, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • InAwe@MassStupidity

Perhaps the same kind of idiots who use silent consonants in common words like "knife" and "Pneumonia." I'd hate (love actually) to hear what you have to say about names of people from Poland or some other country whose dominant language is not English.

November 22, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bubba

The Vikes making the play-offs is a little Favre-fetched. Adios, Childress!

GO PACK GO!!!

November 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Packer Girl

Haha. Clever! 🙂

November 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. WHO DAT!?

GO SAINTS!!!

November 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Randy, Indiana

Vikes suck anyways who cares

November 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JurassicClassic

Childress reminds me of the bald guy that was grabbed by the head in Jurassic Park 3. Same result this time. I'm not even a Vikings fan but I was hoping they would fire him last year.

November 22, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steven

I hear they will place him on a large wooden boat, then send it out to sea. Afterwards, flaming arrows will ignite the boat – sending childress into the afterlife.

November 22, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • BurnTHalO

Man, I thought you were going to say send him out on a party boat with Daunte Culpepper.

November 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Packer Girl

Why do all the Viking fans hate FavRE now? They were praising him last season. This is why they have the worst fans. Packer fans are always loyal to their players... even through throwing picks and texting chicks.

November 22, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rins

To be fair to the viking fans, I wouldn't consider Favre "their player". Sure they scooped him up and he played for them last year and this year...but that was after being their "enemy" for the past decade+. Plus, they got burned right away. There wasn't time for affection to grow...he played well enough to get them to the championship game, but ultimately the "bad" Favre was playing and his forced pass turned into a game/season ending interception. On top of that...he's not exactly playing well this year. So I think it's reasonable for them to at least dislike him.

November 22, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Packer Girl

I partially agree with you @Rins, but when all the Viking fans were rubbing it in the Packer fans faces that they got Favre... I lost all sympathy for them. I also warned them that he'll go back to playing like he did when we got rid of him. They didn't believe it because he's the "greatest quarterback of all time". Maybe in the glory years (1996).

November 22, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rins

True, I don't have sympathy for them either 🙂 (as a fellow packer fan). I was just saying I can understand why they have no loyalty to him.

November 22, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BDGFN

And this is a surprise to anyone how??? The only surprise here is that it took this long.

November 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |