November 23rd, 2010

Miners trapped underground in New Zealand dead, police say

All 29 miners trapped underground in a New Zealand mine are dead, Gary
Knowles, superintendent from Tasman Police Command said Wednesday.

Air released from the drilling contained high levels of carbon monoxide and methane but little oxygen, police officials have said.

Post by:
Filed under: Australia • Mine accidents
  1. ronald mcloughlin

Quite frankly, I cudn't take another mine rescue!

November 23, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • vmaxnc

Meaning what, that you couldn't sit on your sofa and watch other people rescue the miners? What kind of pansy are you? What would happen to you if there were another mine rescue? Would your extreme wussiness implode?

November 24, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. Hannah

I live here in NZ and just want to say that this is very sad news for all the miners families and their friendS. R.I.P

November 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dave Ryan

Rest in Peace brave miners. You did not seek fame or glory but only to bring home a paycheck for your family. Hopefully, the company that employed you, your government and insurance companies will see that your families are taken care of. Peace & Grace.

November 23, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mmmmm

Mining is dangerous work. It is not the only job that one can lose life. You can thank and praise God in tragedy...you guys who attack the victims families's faith at the time of loss are the losers here! READ THE BOOK OF JOB...it is a powerful testimony to loving the Will of God and having confidence in His Providence in good times and bad. Shame on you CNN blog-monsters!

November 24, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. RT

My husband was a miner in Mo. These men deserve respect for what they did. It is a hard and dangerous job. Prayers go out to all families involved. RIP miners!

November 24, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jim Brieske

I hope a valuable lesson has been learned. There are no heroes in mining accidents. Either the miners survive or they do not.
    jim

November 24, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Homer Simpson

someones an as.s MMMMM let me think .mmmm

November 24, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. JJ - Kansas

I was hoping for a better outcome, not a tragic ending. I'm so sorry! JJ

November 24, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. meee

The worms crawl in the worms crawl out the worms play pinochle in their snouts

November 24, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. donna

if u people with your god awful comments cant say something worth reading dont waste our time with your trash! my heart goes out to those loved ones families!

November 24, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kim

R.I.P.

November 24, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jack

I hope that the families of the miner are alright.

November 24, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |