November 24th, 2010

Airport security protest leader: Abandon 'security theater'

Flying out of Philly? You might bump into James Babb, co-founder of wewontfly.com.

He’s at Philadelphia International Airport this morning, representing one of several grassroots organizations leading "National Opt Out Day” - a protest of Transportation Security Administration's full-body scanners and pat-down procedures. Babb has never gone through a full-body scan or pat down, but he says travelers should refuse to be searched because the scanners hurt health. He said they should also protest in the name of  privacy, calling security screeners "gropers." Here's what you should know about security procedures at the airport.

Babb spoke with American Morning Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.

"I want us to have the best security possible," Babb says. "That means we have to abandon the security theater, and we have to bring in common sense. What they're doing right now is for show. It's actually creating a false sense of security. It could make passengers less vigilant."

A recent USA Today/Gallup poll shows most frequent travelers are not bothered by the new TSA scanners, and the majority are willing to giving up personal privacy if it means they'll be safe.

So, which side are you on? If you’re headed to the airport, will you "opt out?" Send your answer to CNN's iReport.

Filed under: Air travel
  1. Michigan girl

I would go thru the scanner grow up people and lets fly safe

November 24, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. BF F Skinner

Please

November 24, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. BF F Skinner

Some would argue this is illegal search. Others would argue this is only a problem if you can afford to fly.
    We should however attempt to see beyond the language and literature of freedom and dignity.
    Societies must be controlled for their own good. Department of Homeland security is helping us do this.

November 24, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. TimothyCrowe

I won the war on terror when I stopped fearing terrorism. I would rather have the Christmas day bomber on my plane then the TSA in my airport. Thats right, I said "the TSA are worse then terrorists". I would rather die with dignity then watch my nation turn to cowardice.

November 24, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Homer Simpson

dellusional at best, you dont want to adress the inescapable fact that if you make it easy for them, they will take advantage of it. Easy to say until the choice becomes reality

November 24, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mike Mack

That is the dumbest statement I have ever read. TSA worse than bloodthirsty, ignorant, criminals, what a waste of bandwidthm

November 24, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. brian d

maybe ur so pathetic u dont have anything to live for but alot of us do

November 24, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sgt. Slaughter

@ timothy

Oooh-Rah! To that brother. You are exactly right.

I think scared people should not fly, or drive a car or go to Disney. They might get hit by lightning.

Terrorists should not have gained control of the aircraft on 9/11 either. I thought we learned that lesson during the hijacking era????? Oops I guess they forgot that.

Its definately a FALSE sense of security for the sheep of society

November 24, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sgt. Slaughter

Ok please tell me people. Does anyone think that 6 Mutts would be able to take over an aircraft again with a couple of box cutters and a screwdriver?

Unfortunately the people on the planes on 9/11 were hoping for some mercy FROM THE TERRORISTS. So they stayed compliant.

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN AGAIN

November 24, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sgt. Slaughter

STILL CAN'T CATCH BIN-LADEN...?????

November 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |