November 26th, 2010

Thefts, stampedes make Black Friday blue for some

Call it a case of consumerism bringing out the worst in people.

Three women in West Palm Beach, Florida, say $1,000 worth of Best Buy merchandise was stolen from their car Friday morning within minutes of being purchased, according to CNN affiliate WPBF.

The women were the first people at Best Buy after camping out since Wednesday night.

After they made their purchases, they put them in the car and went to JC Penney. A few minutes later, they returned, and the goods were gone.

"I mean, we've been camping since Wednesday," a tearful Shereece Francis told WPBF. "Just cruel, just wicked."

The women weren't the only ones to experience Black Friday car troubles.

At least 10 shoppers in St. Louis, Missouri, left Best Buy to find that their cars had been towed, CNN affiliate KSDK reports.

The customers had parked in a lot adjacent to Best Buy belonging to a T-Mobile store. They told KSDK there were no signs saying parking was for T-Mobile customers only, just a small, upside down sign from "Bulldog Towing" warning about abandoned or illegally parked cars.

Now, those customers are out $335.

"We're going to have to return our gifts that we bought on Black Friday just to get the car from tow," said Lavorn Ford, who had purchased a Playstation 3 for his son. "It's frustrating because you get up early in the morning to get your kids stuff for Christmas and then this stuff happens. "

A T-Mobile store manager said the store needed the parking lot when it opened at 7 a.m.

"Our lot was full by 4 and then again by 6, so we would have opened up our business and not had any spots," store manager Brian Fisher said.

It seems that some people will go to extreme lengths in the name of their children. A Wisconsin woman who cut in front of a long line of Black Friday shoppers was arrested, police say, after she allegedly threatened to shoot those she moved ahead of.

"I just wanted to get my daughter the toy that she wanted for Christmas, which probably won't be there when I go today," Lanessa L. Lattimore, 21, told CNN.

Lattimore attempted to cut in front of a line of "several hundred shoppers" at a Toys R Us store in Madison, Wisconsin, on Thursday, according to a police report. Lattimore admitted there had been a confrontation in the line but disputed the details.

"Everybody was cutting in line. But there was one girl who was threatening me, so I told her that I'd shoot her," Lattimore told CNN. "I'm not a violent person, but police charged me with disorderly conduct."

Several eager shoppers were trampled Friday morning as they surged through Target store doors in North Buffalo, New York.

CNN affiliate WIVB had a camera inside the Target and captured the drama. People at the front of the line were pushed to the floor when doors opened. The commotion and screams drew additional store staff to sort the crowd out.

"It went from controlled to a mob in less than five minutes," shopper Rich Mathewson told WIVB. "And then it just got nasty."

Several people had cut into the line, angering the crowd, Mathewson said.

Unruly Wal-Mart shoppers in Sacramento, California, prompted an evacuation of the store, affiliate KTXL reported.

Just after the store opened its doors at 5 a.m., customers became pushy and unruly.

Sacramento Sheriff's officers were called in to help clear the store and everyone was ordered to leave their carts in the store and exit. Once everyone outside calmed down, shoppers were allowed back in to finish their shopping, according to KTXL.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Holidays
soundoff (1,200 Responses)
  1. Marygrace

I happen to live just outside Buffalo – was raised in Buffalo – most of my friends live in Buffalo – and for the most part Buffalonians are really great people, kind, friendly and considerate. It's a shame that low-life maggots that don't have a life have to ruin it for others. If they want to waste their lives standing outside for hours to purchase cheap electronics made in CHINA yet – not even American made – fine. Be a fool. But this trampling of others and the rudeness is uncalled for.
    Several years ago I thought it would be nice to shop on Black Friday. But I was not going to camp out and put up with a pack of animals. Yes – that is what they are. I went to WalMart at 11:30 in the morning – knowing that the "door busters" were most likely gone but hopefully the rioters would have moved on to the next store to terrorize.
    Surprisingly – the so-called "door-busters" that were only supposed to be on sale till 9 AM, were still on sale and stacked almost to the ceiling.
    And the animals were out strong. I cannot shop like that. I don't believe in being rude, pushing others, slamming my cart into people, elbowing and hitting for something. I was raised to have manners. And at this time of the year we are supposed to have "Christmas Spirit" –
    I blame the stores for this. They are at fault. Advertise so-called great bargains (China made goods that won't last long) and only have a few in the stores and this is what is going to happen.
    Buying electronics? Wait till after the holiday when the stores get rid of everything because they have inventory in the beginning of the new year and they want to sell as much as they can beforehand.
    Trampling another for greedy purposes? WRONG! and for all those that trampled this man – may they get trampled worse than he did. Maybe then they will learn.
    And to think that most of them have children – fine examples they are setting.............................

November 30, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kevo

Here, not a black person in sight. Also Black Friday comes from retailers being "in the black" or gaining profits; because if you had half a brain cell in your racist heads, you'd understand that profit on a business ledger is written in black ink, expenses or losses is written in red ink. – Educated Black Man.

December 1, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sam

Possibly the most intelligent post on this thread. Thank you.

Samantha- accounting major ;)

December 5, 2010 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Say WHAT?

When did people get so stooopid during holiday shopping season? My solution: gift cards for everybody!!!!

December 7, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Kent

The whole gift giving thing is strange, I don't understand it. I have very simple tastes and simple means and live far below my income level....and I am HAPPY. I dont waste time buying things and trying to pay debt. I will have a comfortable retirement. Most folks feel things bring happiness, they are very wrong.

December 17, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ashish

what is Debt Management Plan ?
    =============================================
    Debt Management Plan

December 24, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Ricardo

What!!!!! I'm sorry for what happened to this people, but black Friday is not supposed to be a joyful holy day season. It is black Friday that is destroying the holiday season!!

April 18, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. hellae

When we go home, the store closes...i guess you will need to camp out until the next day then

November 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. billgates

Couldn't agree more. I did all my "Black Friday" shopping on the web, and will from now on.

November 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Maggie

I totally agree with you. I have never camped out for anything, and I don't even leave my house on "Black Friday." (Does anyone know why it is called "black." Seems like a strange thing to call the day that most businesses make most of their annual profit. You'd think that because it's the beginning of the Christmas season that they could call it something more cheerful. I assume that it's the media that started calling it this, with the stores now following suit (can't count the number of ads I've seen announcing "Black Friday" sales). "Green Friday" sounds more appropriate. But I still wouldn't go out and shop that day.

November 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Kath

Its called "Black Friday" because its when businesses hope to go from "in the red" to "in the black" from a financial standpoint.

November 26, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Parkerman

The term black friday comes from the businesses being in the black for the first time in the whole year.

November 26, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Emmy

Because instead of being in "the red" from overspending, your budget is still in "the black".

November 26, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Anon

"Black" as in the color of the ink of the store financials – they're "in the red" until that Friday. Has nothing to do with gloom and doom.

November 26, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Shan007

The name is derived from an accounting term. To be in the "red" is to be in the negative and to be in the "black" is to be in surplus. Stores hope that their large sales bring them into the black – ie: makes them a lot of money.

November 26, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. vernon

thank you for the great news profit for business and the consumers and pay or die trying. that why i never left my home. i will wait till dec. and than jan to buy. that if i still have a job.

November 26, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply