November 26th, 2010

Thefts, stampedes make Black Friday blue for some

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/11/26/fl.black.friday.shoppers.robbed.wpbf"%5D

Call it a case of consumerism bringing out the worst in people.

Three women in West Palm Beach, Florida, say $1,000 worth of Best Buy merchandise was stolen from their car Friday morning within minutes of being purchased, according to CNN affiliate WPBF.

The women were the first people at Best Buy after camping out since Wednesday night.

After they made their purchases, they put them in the car and went to JC Penney. A few minutes later, they returned, and the goods were gone.

"I mean, we've been camping since Wednesday," a tearful Shereece Francis told WPBF. "Just cruel, just wicked."

The women weren't the only ones to experience Black Friday car troubles.

At least 10 shoppers in St. Louis, Missouri, left Best Buy to find that their cars had been towed, CNN affiliate KSDK reports.

The customers had parked in a lot adjacent to Best Buy belonging to a T-Mobile store. They told KSDK there were no signs saying parking was for T-Mobile customers only, just a small, upside down sign from "Bulldog Towing" warning about abandoned or illegally parked cars.

Now, those customers are out $335.

"We're going to have to return our gifts that we bought on Black Friday just to get the car from tow," said Lavorn Ford, who had purchased a Playstation 3 for his son. "It's frustrating because you get up early in the morning to get your kids stuff for Christmas and then this stuff happens. "

A T-Mobile store manager said the store needed the parking lot when it opened at 7 a.m.

"Our lot was full by 4 and then again by 6, so we would have opened up our business and not had any spots," store manager Brian Fisher said.

It seems that some people will go to extreme lengths in the name of their children. A Wisconsin woman who cut in front of a long line of Black Friday shoppers was arrested, police say, after she allegedly threatened to shoot those she moved ahead of.

"I just wanted to get my daughter the toy that she wanted for Christmas, which probably won't be there when I go today," Lanessa L. Lattimore, 21, told CNN.

Lattimore attempted to cut in front of a line of "several hundred shoppers" at a Toys R Us store in Madison, Wisconsin, on Thursday, according to a police report. Lattimore admitted there had been a confrontation in the line but disputed the details.

"Everybody was cutting in line. But there was one girl who was threatening me, so I told her that I'd shoot her," Lattimore told CNN. "I'm not a violent person, but police charged me with disorderly conduct."

Several eager shoppers were trampled Friday morning as they surged through Target store doors in North Buffalo, New York.

CNN affiliate WIVB had a camera inside the Target and captured the drama. People at the front of the line were pushed to the floor when doors opened. The commotion and screams drew additional store staff to sort the crowd out.

"It went from controlled to a mob in less than five minutes," shopper Rich Mathewson told WIVB. "And then it just got nasty."

Several people had cut into the line, angering the crowd, Mathewson said.

Unruly Wal-Mart shoppers in Sacramento, California, prompted an evacuation of the store, affiliate KTXL reported.

Just after the store opened its doors at 5 a.m., customers became pushy and unruly.

Sacramento Sheriff's officers were called in to help clear the store and everyone was ordered to leave their carts in the store and exit. Once everyone outside calmed down, shoppers were allowed back in to finish their shopping, according to KTXL.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Holidays
soundoff (1,197 Responses)
  1. Parkerman

Very funny, most of these items can be bought later and even cheaper. Waste of time camping out. Just alol hype.

November 26, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Forreal

This is ghetto style oh yeah

November 26, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Yeah, white ghetto folks

November 26, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rita

It was probably white ghetto thugs that robbed these ladies.

November 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John Kingsford

Yeah....people are just clamoring to get into a T-Mobile store at 7am on Black Friday. Really?
    The stores create this madness and everyone buys into it. So to everyone who got their car towed or broken into or everyone who got pushed and shoved and bruised from racing to that hot deal, tough. Maybe you learned something today.

November 26, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mechatronics

What a bunch of ignorant rude mofo's these people are. For once i would like to see them act civilized. We all know that will never happen.

November 26, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jon

It's like cavemen (or mostly cavewomen, from what I saw Friday morning at 3am when I got to work) fighting over the last piece of woolly mammoth or whatever. At least back then it was for survival, now people act like they can't live without their USB Powered Toaster that will be in a landfill in 3 years anyway.

November 26, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. stunned

WHY IS ITCALLED BLACK FRIDAY. THATS SO BIAS. WHY NOT KILLER FRIDAY OR GREEDY FRIDAY OR VOMIT DEALS FRIDAY. SAD. IT IS SO SAD TO SEE PEOPLE BEING WORRIED ABOUT SO MUCH MATERIAL CRAP. WHY NOT STARTING TO WORRY ABOUT LIFE AND OTHER LIVING THINGS. SAD....

November 26, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Steve

Now I see why they call it BLACK Friday....

November 26, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jimbob

Maggie..It's called black because the companies are in the neg profit most of the year (neg in accounting is in red numbers) and they jump to being profitable on this day and for the rest of the year (black ink indicates a profit).

November 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. henry

hey guys, what about finding a career that makes good money so you dont have to waste 24 hrs waiting in line just to buy a half priced item? Money is something you can always make, but not time. Spend quality time with your family and friends on this day not waiting in line like a greedy, materialistic idiot. Getting trampled over black friday is not worth it. standing outside in the cold is not worth it. Black friday is not worth it. Do you really need that big screen TV? spend that money paying off your debts or at least get something nice for your family.

November 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TNabcd

My child: You didn't get me what I wanted.
    Me: I'm sorry, honey. I tried.
    My child: (pouting) You didn't get me what I wanted.
    Me: Honey, no child has died from not getting what they wanted. I think you'll be okay
    Disappointment is a part of life (as is delayed gratification). If the worse thing my child has to experience is not getting a particular Christmas present that she'll get bored with in a few weeks...I think I've done okay.

November 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • DannyG

Can I just say, that I salute you. Guess what kids? I Love you and I want the best for you, but Sometimes life throws you lemons.

November 26, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kakakma

Bunch of losers.

November 26, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MaryB

Ah yes. The true Christmas spirit.

November 26, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kathy L.

These people ought to be ashamed of behaving so uncivilized. Such behavior is best left to their primate counterparts. You're going to die if you don't get the latest Flatscreen right? idiotic consumers.

November 26, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jimbob

I saw a stoey that Pelosi actually sends her house ppl out to do the black friday shopping for her.

November 26, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Katie

I work as a retail manager and DREAD Black Friday. It represents the worst in our society: greed, rudeness and the notion that love is represented by material goods/gifts. These stories make me sad more than anything.

November 26, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |