November 27th, 2010

Report: U.S., South Korea begin war exercises

[Updated at 10:35 p.m.] North Korea deployed surface-to-air missiles to near its Yellow Sea border with South Korea days before joint U.S. war exercises with the South were set to get under way on Sunday, South Korea's official Yonhap news agency reported, citing unnamed government sources.

"[North Korea's missiles] appear to be targeting our fighter jets that fly near" North Korea's Yellow Sea border with South Korea, the source said, according to Yonhap.

South Korea and the United States began assembling ships for joint war exercises Sunday off the west coast of the Korean peninsula in the Yellow Sea, a source at the South Korean Joint Chiefs told CNN.

FULL STORY

[Original post, 7:51 p.m.] South Korea and the United States have begun war exercises off the west coast of the Korean peninsula, according to South Korea's official news agency Yonhap.

"The drills started around 6 a.m. Sunday with the USS George Washington joining our warships in the Yellow Sea," an official at the South's Joint Chiefs of Staff told Yonhap.

North Korea had warned of unpredictable "consequences" if the United States fulfilled its vow of deploying the aircraft carrier USS George Washington to the Yellow Sea for joint military maneuvers with South Korea.

Earlier this week, North Korea shelled Yeonpyeong Island, killing four South Koreans. North Korea said the South provoked the Tuesday attack because shells from a South Korean military drill landed in the North's waters. South Korea was holding its annual Hoguk military drill when the North started its shelling, and the South returned fire.

The U.S.-South Korean exercises were planned months ago and are meant to underscore strong ties between South Korea and the United States, defense officials from both countries have said.

Post by:
Filed under: North Korea • South Korea
  1. phil

Duke...I doubt China views N. Korea as "god's chosen nation"

November 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Avon Barksdale

ATTENTION: TO EVERY HIPPIE/EX HIPPIE, TREE HUGGING, ELECTRIC CAR REQUESTING, SAFE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT, ANTI-WAR DEMONSRATING, PEOPLE FOR PEACE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. Let's all COME TOGETHER and start a revolution!! A REVOLUTION FOR PEACE & LOVE! I refuse to believe that 6 BILLION PEOPLE on this planet want WAR. Besides the spineless companies and corporations worldwide who stand to make a profit who else does WAR help? NOT I AND CERTAINLY NOT U.

November 28, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Protoman

I came up with the mini movie scene about the Jewish girl. Don't let Avon fool ya.

November 28, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. phil

@T-2000...revolutions are expensive. We pimped Ben Franklin to Paris in order to secure Banc of France financing for our initial revolt against England. We humans simply can't afford a real revolution, and their aren't any financiers willing to back us financially.

November 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Protoman

@Avon: 6 billion people do not want war. I believe many like to fight and kill, so the powers that be will allow and profit from war. Only those smart enough to see that they are being coaxed into choosing sides can emerge triumphant. The problems in the world are not that difficult, but they are made difficult by the greedy and murderous.

November 28, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. phil

@Protoman...if you were drafted, would you still stand by your statement? Would you "emerge triumphant"?

November 28, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. duke

Phil!!
    Not so much the "chosen people" aspect,but the fact that they can violate and antagonize the world because they have the support and blessings of their"super power"backers!!
    Saddam was just grandstanding about his weapons,but he had to go??meanwhile the cowards in america wanted no problems with lil Kim,you evr wonder why??

November 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Protoman

@Phil: You think so far back in time. You give this government more credit than it deserves. A few politicians getting bumped off would do I think. Most military I've talked to would not kill Americans. If you get rid of a few bad apples to send a message then the rest will fall in line out of fear. That sir would be very cheap. Stop thinking in terms of old military tactics. If I were drafted for an unjust war I would be jailed. If it was a direct threat to this nation I would join voluntarily.

November 28, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Avon Barksdale

HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE?

November 28, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Avon Barksdale

Protoman, i'll talk with you a little later about our movie! The big question is who will star as Dr Bad? My choice would be DANIEL DAY-LEWIS. I could just picture Daniel Day-Lewis sitting behind an outdated computer, fat, smelly, sweating profusely. He'd only be wearing a filthy wife-beater and underwear that reek with the smell of alcohol and tears. The guy who finally stops him would be FBI Agent Jones played by Brad Pitt. The movie ends with Dr Bad in the corner of a padded room while having convulsions and screaming out "MY SINS OUR YOUR SINS! MY SINS OUR YOUR SINS!" over and over as the camera edges closer and closer to his face and eventually speeds all the way to into his eye-FADE OUT. Do I smell an Oscar? DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, BRAD PITT- CALL ME!

November 28, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Deployed

Avon, it's sheeple like you that create other sheeple by voicing severly uneducated opinions to a mass while claiming to know some uncovered truth. Have a little faith, there is a great deal of planning that goes into the decisions made for military strategy and fun fact, it doesn't involve POTUS. Weird. Stop engaging your 'circle of concern' and focus more on your 'circle of influence' which if you're a film major, I imagine is preeeetttyyyy small.

November 29, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. GOD

I WANT PEACE FOR ALL OF YOU.

November 29, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Avon Barksdale

To Deployed, thx for the comment. I wish that I could give u a great big bear hug like I gave to my best friend Dr Bad. I feel honored and deeply moved that out of the many people who commented my words touched u the most. (one lonely tear is rolling down my cheek). It's obvious that I speak for the billion's AND BILLION'S of people worldwide. Believe me, I WANT TO LIVE. I want to live to see flying cars. I WANNA SEE THE CUBS WIN THE WORLD SERIES IN 2015! But more than anything I WANT PEACE. I dont wanna die because some companies are trying to profit from war. NEWS FLASH: We make more $ from WAR than anything else. It's called a Military Indusrial Complex. Will it ever stop? NO. As I said before, unfortunately it looks like this is our destiny and no hippies or tree-huggers will be able 2 stop this from happening. I just hope THE CUBS WIN IT ALL before it all comes to an end.

November 29, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Avon Barksdale

And by the way 'Deployed' if by SHEEPLE you mean someone who states an opinion which the majority of people agree with then I plead guilty. Thx for the compliment! I guess John Lennon, Ghandi and Jesus were SHEEPLE'S also.

November 29, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse | Reply