November 28th, 2010

Stranger saves Christmas for woman whose gifts were stolen

A Black Friday theft has led to an act of kindness from a stranger, giving true meaning to the phrase "holiday spirit."

Kerry Ann Brown and her friends were the first people to enter a West Palm Beach, Florida, Best Buy electronics store on Black Friday, after camping out since Wednesday, CNN affiliate WPBF reported. She put her merchandise in her car, went to a nearby JC Penney, and when she returned, her car had been broken into and $1,000 worth of merchandise was gone.

Brown told WPBF that among the stolen goods were three computers that she was going to send to relatives in Jamaica.

A small business owner man in New York saw the story on CNN.com and decided to step up.

Alan Howard, who owns Plesser's Appliances in Babylon, New York, said he would replace $1,000 worth of merchanside.

Through WPBF, Howard contacted Brown and told her he wanted to give her a gift certificate.

"I don't have words to comprehend how I'm feeling right now," Brown told Howard in a telephone call Saturday. "I'm awestruck, thank you. I didn't know people were like that in the world."

"There's still some good in the world," Howard said.

Post by:
Filed under: Holidays
  1. Jesus Christ

I sent an angel to bless this man to give the money to this poor woman. I also sent the devil the OK to have her robbed. Yes you all know I'm such a jokester, I kill myself literally.

November 29, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. MLS

To all the negative posters – please get a job or volunteer somewhere or go out for a nice long walk or clean your house. just get off the computer and your ass and do something constructive. Wow. I think I'll follow my own advice right now.

November 29, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Willie

n this day and age....

She left her car doors open... a family member or husband (most likely a family member) unloaded the stuff... she's hoping for someone to be kind and replace her items... so now she has double to send back to Jamaica....for resale and a profit..

Sorry folks.. but this is the new world... no trust, no honesty and no morals...

November 29, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • hobart

So sad that you you are so lonely, heartless and dishonest that you think everyone else in the world is just like you.

November 29, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. jordan

@eouhcee- That is just rediculous. any one of any race is capable of being a theif. how can you single out blacks only. I am a white woman living in a white neighborhood, and i have had stuff from my car stolen. Race has nothing to do with it!!!!! Your are just being ignorant and racist.

November 29, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Alex

What is the point of shipping computers to Jamaica, anyway ? There are computer stores in Jamaica.

November 29, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. torak

I had some expensive items stolen from my car in West Palm Beach. The window was broken out by the thieves. People around West Palm Beach need to be very careful....lots of theives and the cops could really care less.

November 29, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. poleshift

Thats the way capitalism works you always look at how you will benefit personaly How do you feel when you help someone ? only you know what your true intentions are. Remember material things are only universal energy that we have molded into our creations Eternal life & your spiritual being is your garrantee not the extended warranty on your new computer " Jesus is the way" Merry Christmas !

November 29, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sage Advice

"Stop storing up for yourself things where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal." Materialism doesn't work.

November 29, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. denise

Ok I "believe" there are TRUE "Santas" out there! :)

November 29, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Geela

Folks, it pays to be careful any time of year when leaving your car unattended. Someone tried to break in my car at the grave-side service of my brother. I had left my purse in it. Fortunately, the car alarm went off and the lights flashed and scared the thief off before any damage was done or anything was stolen. My husband, who was a pallbearer, had to leave the ranks and go turn off the alarms because it was interupting the service. Since then, I never leave anything of value in the car. I don't know about the lady's true situation who got the computer's taken; but, maybe she's learned her lesson, too.....the hard way.

November 29, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Moses

Moses' wife was a black woman. Yes, the biblical Moses. And her father's name was Jethro. And yes, he was a black man. So people who are bigot racists...are you better than Moses? Should we follow your lead as we cross this 'red sea' of desegregation? No, we should not. (in case you haven't heard, archaeologists have found ancient Egyptian chariots at the bottom of the Red Sea where the ancient Israelites crossed. The only explanation as to how a bunch of chariots got to the bottom of the sea can be found in only one book, the bible. No other historical record offers an explanation.

November 29, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. kay nwk

I hate to wish bad luck on people but to all of u stupid a$$ jokers who posting dumb sh%t should of stayed in school long enough before opening your mouth! 1st of all they had to make a report with police for the story to be public! 2nd they had to have the reciept of there purchased goods cause the news & newspapers do make stories public unless they proof that it can stand up & not just word of mouth! To the dummies who said she lying yall just mad yall a$$ was at home broke wishing yall were the ones stealing people sh%t if your broke a$$es even have a car to get to best buy. STUPID!!!

November 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. smart phone

Hello There. I discovered your weblog the usage of msn. That is a very well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

April 8, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Anna

@stwebb, how old are you? how far did you make it in school? anyone can get robbed by anyone, period. Why open your ignorant mouth to say something that stupid?

November 29, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse | Reply