November 28th, 2010

Stranger saves Christmas for woman whose gifts were stolen

A Black Friday theft has led to an act of kindness from a stranger, giving true meaning to the phrase "holiday spirit."

Kerry Ann Brown and her friends were the first people to enter a West Palm Beach, Florida, Best Buy electronics store on Black Friday, after camping out since Wednesday, CNN affiliate WPBF reported. She put her merchandise in her car, went to a nearby JC Penney, and when she returned, her car had been broken into and $1,000 worth of merchandise was gone.

Brown told WPBF that among the stolen goods were three computers that she was going to send to relatives in Jamaica.

A small business owner man in New York saw the story on CNN.com and decided to step up.

Alan Howard, who owns Plesser's Appliances in Babylon, New York, said he would replace $1,000 worth of merchanside.

Through WPBF, Howard contacted Brown and told her he wanted to give her a gift certificate.

"I don't have words to comprehend how I'm feeling right now," Brown told Howard in a telephone call Saturday. "I'm awestruck, thank you. I didn't know people were like that in the world."

"There's still some good in the world," Howard said.

Post by:
Filed under: Holidays
  1. sara

why could he have bought a bunch of toys for children sick and in a hospital for christmas? or for kids as a homeless shelter? b

November 29, 2010 at 3:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • 314swfl144

That is true but he didn't. It is America (still, for now) so I guess he had the free choice to do what he wanted.

November 29, 2010 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

What a relief. I never know who most deserves my charitable giving during the holiday season. And there you are, plugged into the divine, just ready to tell me who's been naughty and doesn't deserve it, and who's been nice, and does. Jerk!

November 29, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cocoroco

@314swfl144 clearly you're the one who is uneducated.

November 29, 2010 at 3:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Cocoroco

@314swfl144 and I feel sorry for you, even though I don't know you. :*(

November 29, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • aetna7011

You're both picking a fight on the internet. For the sake of my amusement, keep doing it, but remember, arguing on the internet, especially in such an unintelligible way, is kind of like the special olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded (this is looking likely, there is this magical thing called a reply button...)

November 29, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. J.

Attention, thieves. Steal my stuff and get a hole in your head from a 9mm. Merry Xmas!

November 29, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Chris

merry christmas to all who posted something positive, all the rest of you are not worth a dime...

November 29, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. BOOZER

Dude helped out so he would get laid.lmao

November 29, 2010 at 4:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Lawrence Lugar

Everything in this world is an investment, even charity and anonymous donations.
    That business owner made an investment in his business – he might as well present a large, over blown check to her on live TV.

I'm Lawrence Lugar. and that's what I'm about.

November 29, 2010 at 4:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ds

i am so glad to hear a good news story. I am so happy she had something wonderful happen after a raw deal.
    I hope the guy that offered the gift certificate, has a wonderful happy holidays. Lady, please next time you land door buster deals, go home put the stuff up, in a closet , then go back out..... The news always says to hide your packages, in the trunk and no large hand bags on holiday shopping trips....Hope your holidays end up happy after all ....To the thieves shame on you may you find a lump of coal in your stockings....

November 29, 2010 at 4:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Sarli

She should know better then to leave expensive things in the car. Trunk is the safest place because at least nobody can see it.

November 29, 2010 at 4:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Peter D

Ok this has to be a dumb lady. I am from West Palm Beach and I know exactly the location of this best buy. Not in a good neighborhood at all. I figure of all people a Jamaican would be smart enough to know that she is in the hood and that you cant even leave your cell phone in sight without coming back to a smashed windshield

November 29, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carter

I live in West Palm Beach at City Side just down the street from Best Buy and Brands Mart. Either you don't live here or your just talking out of turn and don't have a clue. Neither store resides in a neighborhood per se. I trying to figure which neighborhood you are referring to. Could it be Malibu?

November 29, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Michael

SHE'S LUCKY, IT LOOKS INCONCEIVABLE SHE COULD EVEN JOLT HER MAN INTO HELPING HER.

November 29, 2010 at 5:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. gwats

People get so caught up in this frenzy of buying their common sense flies right the window this time of year. I don't understand this rush to go broke every year on gifts no one is going to remember getting three months from now. Running up debt just because the Calendar hits a certain date. It's stupid and those who get robbed will get no sympathy here. Maybe this chick should invest in jenny Craig instead.

November 29, 2010 at 5:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. CCB

THIS JUST IN; After getting the $1000 gift certificate, she returned to Best Buy and puchased 3 more computers. She then put them in her trunk and proceeded to go to JC Penny. Upon returning, she found that someone had stolen the computers again. After an investigation by police, it was determined that she forgot to close the trunk.

November 29, 2010 at 5:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Fewgoodmen

A few good men!

November 29, 2010 at 5:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Derek

Look out for that merchanside, stuff's dangerous.

November 29, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse | Reply