November 28th, 2010

Video: Parents break into car to stop attempted carjacking

Dramatic surveillance video shows why one couple have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving holiday.

Aaron and Melanie Richman, both 22, stopped at a Kansas City, Missouri, gas station early Wednesday after driving from Colorado en route to Eldon, Missouri, according to CNN affiliate KCTV.

After gassing up, the couple parked their vehicle away from the pumps and walked over to talk to the drivers of their moving van.

In a matter of seconds, a man noticing the unattended vehicle made a beeline for the Richmans’ car.

The man jumped inside and began to drive off with the Richmans’ 6-month-old inside.

The couple responded immediately.

Video shows Melanie Richman holding onto the side of the car, and in the process breaking the back passenger window. She finally falls to the ground after being dragged across the parking lot.

Aaron Richman manages to jump inside the vehicle and begins “giving the crook the business, kicking him in the head repeatedly, trying to save his child,” according to KCTV reporter Jonathan Carter.

The beat-down causes the offender to crash the car, causing no harm to the baby, and flee. The couple suffered minor injuries, according to KHSB.

Police are still looking for the man who ran off.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Missouri
  1. Concerned

I think these parents should be charged with neglect. One parent could have stayed with the child while the other goes to chit-chat or pay. I'm glad the child was not harmed but I am concerned that these parents will probably be careless a few more times with their childs health and saftey.

November 29, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. WAAAA?

Never leave your child unattended .... EVER.
    You stupid people are just lucky, not heros at all!!!! Bet they took their wallet and purse with them!

November 29, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. WAAAA?

Ruffnutt .. sorry to hear about your life and the place where you live ... I hope something better comes along for you. At least you've learned some valuable survival skills. Run for Mayor ... make it better

November 29, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. NOT HEROES

What kind of "hero" leaves a child in a running car and walks away? These people are not heroes they are just stupid parents. If you are going to lay down and start popping out kids have at least the common sense of a tree frog. I would never ever even consider leaving my child in a car and walking away let alone a running unlocked car! The news will do anything to get a story even if it means giving credit to dumb parents who put their child at risk. And a parent who fights to get their child back is simply a parent. A hero is someone who doesn't even know the child and puts their life at risk to help them.

December 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • protective mom

I'm with you. I would NEVER leave a child unattended in a car, locked or unlocked, they should be charged with child endangerment!

December 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hysteric

Never leave children unattended! Damn,people?!..good save! But,I would've pumped off a couple rounds honestly!

December 14, 2010 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Alberto

Hey, seeing as how well this tconest went, I'm going to actually be hosting one soon again. Its going to run a little differently but I think that this one, being my first, went really well! Thanks for your support and I will be getting to your package as soon as next week. I should be done with the fifteen articles by this weekend for 1st place winner. Thanks for joining up!.-= Tony Tovar s last blog .. =-.

April 22, 2012 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |