Source: Poll finds most troops OK with repeal of 'don't ask'
November 30th, 2010

Source: Poll finds most troops OK with repeal of 'don't ask'

A majority of U.S. service members surveyed do not care if the law banning openly gay and lesbian troops from serving is repealed, according to a source knowledgeable with the results of the Pentagon study.

Members of Congress are to get an advance look at the study Tuesday.

Post by:
Filed under: Military • Politics • U.S.
  1. Protoman

The only people really concerned about it are people not in the military. Most gay people I've known are generally quite liberal and wouldn't join the military anyways. Many who oppose gays don't even know any to help them form an opinion. The only people whose opinion matters are the ones serving. Even if the military overwhelmingly was in favor of repealing DADT there would still be talking heads telling us what our opinion should be.

November 30, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sheila

I was active duty. I served. My husband continues to serve. We both support the repeal of DADT. It's pure discrimination, nothing more, nothing less. And I didn't serve my country to support discrimination, any discrimination.

November 30, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. know your bible

Throughout history the world's governments and major religions have enjoyed a cozy arrangement. Particularly during war, the religious leaders do their respective governments a great service by telling their members that if they go to war God will reward them. And the religious masses believe them, and send their children off to war in God's name. Fortunatly the bible exposes this age-old practice and gives honest hearted individuals direction. Now if people would only study the bible and recieve direction instead of just listening to some "holy" man telling them to go die for God and whatever country they happen to reside in, countless lives would be spared

November 30, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kiefer

toledoleboy2008

you are a useless bigot and i cant belive im wasting my time writing this. i cant wait till you turn 21 go to a bar get hit on by a gay guy kiss him and kill yourself after.

November 30, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. USMC Ret.

I can see it now.... "I need a platoon formation. We have to give up a three man working party to the S-4. I'm sending Smith, Jones, and Flintstone". "Flintstone Sgt? Who the heck is Flintstone"? "Well who else in the platoon likes to have a gay old time"?

November 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil

I don't see anyone complaining about letting gang-bangers serve. Oftentimes it boils down to either going to prison or going to war for these thugs. You can visit some of them at your local county jail if you live anywhere near a military base. That's where they go when they get caught doing over there what they've been doing over here for years. This is by far a more serious threat than the relativly few gay recruits.

November 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • USMC Ret.

It's not like that any more. I was very briefly stuck on recruiting duty. You can't enlist anyone with gang related tatoos let alone involvement. I once had a kid turned down because of an unpaid ticket. Puting people in the service today is like pulling teeth.

November 30, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Anthony

People, i am 20 years old and i understand that we need to grow up and accept that times have changed and this is a new generation. I am a straight single male, and i am currently in the process of joining the U.S ARMY. @Jim S you have no right calling him idiot because his opnion which we all have one. Just because some of these people may be gay, dosen't mean they are going to be kissing or touching eachother. There are rules in the military even with male and female affection while in uniform or in public. So maybe you should understand the rules before you open your mouth. Plus who cares if your gay or straight?? i am straight i do not agee with man on man relationships, but its not my life or my buissness. so tell me how it affects you???? what would you do if it was the opposite??? and females and males was treated like gays.

November 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. steven

let god juge them i hate gays to but i let god juge them

November 30, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steven

unpaid ticket i think your lieing

November 30, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Franciou

The Marine corps is supposingly a brotherhood, in times of war gay or not we depend on eachother for survival. And that should be the focus because nothing else matters.

December 1, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |