Overheard on CNN.com: Reason for the season
December 1st, 2010

Overheard on CNN.com: Reason for the season

COMMENT OF THE DAY: "The only thing in this article that catches my attention is that it costs $18,500 to promote Christ and $20,000 to denounce him!" - BetweenTheLines

An atheist billboard that calls Christmas "a myth" has sparked a growing controversy. The billboard is near the Lincoln Tunnel, a 1.5-mile-long twin tube that connects New Jersey to New York. The full message, which appears with a nativity scene, reads: "You know it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason." A pro-Christmas billboard was erected in response.

Readers were largely incensed by the billboard, with commenting atheists debating the particulars of their views and joining the oppositional chorus over the sign's content and cost.

Read more on iReport

Post by:
Filed under: Christian • iReport • New York • Religion
  1. peggy

The Fool Says, There Is No God. psalm 14

December 2, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. USMC Ret.

All the atheists I know have religious parents and had rotten childhoods. I confronted one of them about it once. I said "so it's not as much that you don't believe in God as it is a convenient way to get back at your folks"? Man I thought his head was going to explode. "f" u man you don't know what an "a"hole my dad was! He was all "f"d up no God would want someone to be like him. "f" god, "f" him, and "f" you! Ok so it looks like I struck a nerve.

December 2, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Angelic

I'm atheist, grew up happy with very loving christian parents. It's a decision I made as I grew older and my parents support it.

December 2, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stu

I suggest your sample size consisting of your circle of atheist friends is too small to be statistically significant.

December 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. shay

@haha yeah i know what my religion is it is based off christian belief but i said i was raised not still believing it too many out there who are you to believe so every religion is right! NOT i'm all for beliving in what you want but don't cram it down my throat. Good for all who believe but i want more proof!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Shane

Shay;

If you want proof read The Case for Christ, he tried to prove Christ did not exist and that he was not God. Every writer of the day worth his salt wrote about Jesus , from the Greek writers to Josephus a Jewish writer they all wrote about Jesus. Check out the history of what the other Greek writers had to say about Jesus. Do some searching on your own, read the case for Christ and look up all the references in there. that is proof enough.

December 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Veritas

I am a Christian i have no intention of leaving my faith and i dont care what anyone else believes thats between them and God. In the final concensus we will find out who was right when the time comes. i have enough to do trying to live up to my belief standards without worrying about anyone elses belief system.

December 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Angelic

So an atheist puts up a billboard and everyone freaks. A Christian puts up a billboard and it's normal. Come on, what's with the double standard? If you don't agree with the billboard just look away and forget it.

December 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stu

It's taking a jab at something a lot of people hold near and dear to their hearts, something that is at the core of many people's self perception. This atheist thinks it's ill-considered and accomplishes nothing.

December 4, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

@Angelic. Maybe that billboard is too specific. It also implies that those who believe in the 3 kings are stupid and naïve. If they want to put down people's religion, why not tear all religions down? Why pick on one specific avenue?

December 3, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

@Angelic. This is not a rhetorical question.

December 3, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Andrew

I continued to go to church for years after I became an atheist. No matter what other hidden agenda you may think is at work here, Silverman is telling the truth about what this billboard is meant to accomplish. There are atheists hidding in your pews, and I for one want to see them come out. And to the comments about Islam, yes Islam is just as big a myth as Christianity, but in America there are much more atheists kneeling in churches than there are sprawling on prayer mats, if only because there really aren't that many prayer mats.

December 3, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Name*Willow

The bible says it was magi not kings. Read you bible and you see how the Christmas story has been adulterated from the start. Unless you believe kings are all astrologers.

December 4, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • RationalCelebrant

Quibbling about the exact details of this myth is as silly as holding ANY version of the myth as true.

That said, Merry Christmas to all! I hope Santa brings you lots of goodies!

December 6, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sally Michigan

That billboard is just the sign of the times.

December 5, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Reason

Shane...

You've read the books you were told to read and thought the thoughts you were told to think and now you can say the words you were told to say. Feel free to worship God, Allah, Confucius, Zeus or Odin but stop trying to make the government force me to worship with you.

What's the square root of 64? If you are home schooled the answer is JESUS!

December 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Higher Fiver

Turn 8 on its edge; the infinite one. So with a bit of joy and love, math can go further with eternal goals.
      Square roots. I'm square and I know my roots.

January 12, 2013 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. tjdog800

We should all think about this.....................

Merry Christmas

Twas the month before Christmas*

*When all through our land,*

*Not a Christian was praying*

*Nor taking a stand.*

*See the PC Police had taken away,*

*The reason for Christmas – no one could say.*

*The children were told by their schools not to sing,*

*About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things.*

*It might hurt people's feelings, the teachers would say*

* December 25th is just a 'Holiday'.*

*Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and credit*

*Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it!*

*CDs from Gaga, an X BOX, an I-pod*

*Something was changing, something quite odd! *

*Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa*

*In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda.*

*As Targets were hanging their trees upside down*

* At Lowe's the word Christmas – was no where to be found.*

*At K-Mart and Staples and Penny's and Sears*

*You won't hear the word Christmas; it won't touch your ears.*

*Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty*

*Are words that were used to intimidate me.*

*Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen:

*On Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton !*

*At the top of the Senate, there arose such a clatter*

*To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter.*

*And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith*

* Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace*

*The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded*

*The reason for the season, stopped before it started.*

*So as you celebrate 'Winter Break' under your 'Dream Tree'*

*Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.*

*Choose your words carefully, choose what you say*

*Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS ,not Happy Holiday!*

Please, all Christians join together and

wish everyone you meet during the

holidays a MERRY CHRISTMAS

December 8, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. KA

We live in a country of religious freedom, where no one is persecuted for their religious beliefs. Why then must there be one group denouncing another's beliefs?

April 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |