Preval calls for calm amid post-election protests
December 8th, 2010

Preval calls for calm amid post-election protests

Haitian President Rene Preval appealed for calm Wednesday as thousands of angry Haitians took to the streets of the capital to protest the results of what they charged was a fraudulent election.

In a speech broadcast on radio, Preval urged the presidential candidates to discuss and analyze the results provided by the Provisional Electoral Council. The council announced results Tuesday night that will force a runoff between former first lady Mirlande Manigat and Jude Celestin, a Preval protege.

"Preval is a thief. We don't need Jude Celestin. We need Michel Martelly," people chanted, expressing support for the candidate who came in third and was left out of the runoff.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Elections • Haiti
  1. sassy

Kim
    What do you know about Haiti, for you to say another poor stupid country and full of crazy black people. Haitians been through alot for ages. No one should be saying anything bad about any of these people.

December 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • BestHaitian

AND YOU ARE THE DEVIL"S CHILD. HAVE YOU VISITED YOUR FATHER IN HELL LATELY? YOU SHOULD GO!!!

December 8, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Josette

To all, I do not believe that people could still in the 21st century make so many racist comments. I can understand that Haiti has issues, yet in the United States and many other countries Haitians are appreciated and well loved and respected. You all should know that Haiti has many intellectuals at home and brilliant professionals in all fields in most countries of the world. Haiti is trying to become a democratic country and unfortunately has yet to succeed, no one has ever achieved this overnight. Let it be said, that the United States was helped in 1776 by soldiers from the French Colony which was to become Haiti. They were 5000. And many from the world are curious about Haiti's history, about its weather, its food, its unique art. Of course, it is too bad that we are so emotional but let it be said that racism has never helped anyone become a real person.

December 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim Brieske

I don't work for the Devil, I work for God. In fact, he chose me. So if I say start executing the lazy motherfuking black Haitian men then do it. It's the only way they will work.
    Also if I say 500,000 tent camp living females will die if that is not done then they will die.
    Mearder. Fuk you. The Haitian men are worthless and as close to garbage that a person can possibly be. If they were good hard workers, the place would have been cleaned up. But they need inspiration. Herd them like cattle and shoot them. Then the rest will work.
    jim

December 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT

i wonder what % of the haitians have herpes and other diseases?

why are we trying to help them when clearly mother nature is trying to get what needs to be done finished. maybe a whiff of some smallpox would do the trick.

December 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mearder

that s onlyIFyourWh0,,,,,reGirlfriend dont give you Syphilis first
      SvckYourGranny'sfilthy inbetween

December 11, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jim Brieske

Mearder. I know what you are. You are a dumb n word otherwise you would not have wrote what you did. I am sure God is not amused and has plans for you.
    Enjoy.
    jim

December 8, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Steve

Wow- such strong words. I write tonight from Port au Prince, partly because the international air terminal is closed. This afternoon we heard gas grenades in a number of directions, smelled the burning tires or whatever, and saw the UN helicopters overhead. We did not dare go downtown, but I'd like to offer a few observations from my perspective, which is admittedly limited.
    A journalist I overheard talking earlier today said he was going down to where the smoke was. The point being that journalists go to where the action is. They won't be on the evening news if they tell you that parents would not send their kids to school today, dut to the possibility of danger (and wouldn't you do the same to protect your kids?) The real news is that most people in PAP are not participating in demonstrations, because chances are they are busy surviving. And believe me, I know for a fact that mere survival in the vast tent camps is a fulltime job. So if you think every citizen of PAP is downtown throwing rocks, you are wrong.
    Having said that, let's talk politics, with some contact thrown in. Haitians have been given a bad deal their entire history. By the French, of course, but even by the U.S., which refused to recognize another democracy when they declared their indepencence. Their political leadership has been poor, and they recognize that fact. In good times and bad, their leaders have robbed the country. Unfortunately, when such a large part of the population has been saddled by such massive misery: political thievery, an earthquake, flooding, and now cholera, they can't exactly donate their spare bucks to their favorite candidate for president. Celestin and Manigat have the power and the money, and if either is elected, it will be five (I believe that is correct) years of the same. And people are tired of it. Haitians want good government, and their protest of this rigged election is their only way to voice their displeasure. I do not presume to speak for Haitians, but the Haitians I have spoken to say that they would like a government that is interested in the development of infrastructure, so that their enormous pentup entreprenurial spirit can be unleashed. They know that education is key. The motivation of the typical Haitian student puts the average American student to shame. Not to digress, but yesterday I popped my head into a rural Haitian classroom. Immediately every single stood up at attention. These kids are not just motivated. Both they and their parents take pride in the kids' role as students. Every day, even if they have to wash their kids' school chothes in the river and iron them with their charcoal irons, their kids are clean and neat. They deserve a chance, but their disfunctional government, and the punishment of one calamity after another, has robbed most of them of a bright future. Despite all this, they have not lost hope. I have to say that I wish they had a candidate like Gandhi, but I certainly can't fault them for being a bit impatient with the way their political fortune is being decided for them.

December 8, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim Brieske

Steve. I have no sympathy for these people. Their main priority should be clearing space to build on and reducing the size of the tent camps. This should be a massive undertaking with all men participating. But like you said, they are surviving. That is pure stupidity, laziness and selfishness.
    Because that leaves about 600,000 women and children in danger when Haiti is struck by two hurricanes this season. These people have continually gotten what they deserve. I don't know if their women are mentally retarded or their no good lazy men are controlling.
    Actually I know their men are no good, lazy and controlling. Time is running out.
    I highly suggest the Haitian Army start shooting the men to get them to work on clearing space.
    jim

December 9, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. miss b

For those of you who think racism is dead in America, just come to cnn.com and read some of the blog posts. Sad.

December 9, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. ThatScreenNameIsAlreadyTaken

man Haiti is all messed up.

December 9, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jim Brieske

miss b. You are an idiot. This has absolutely nothing to do with being racist. It's solving a problem.
    You are why these lazy worthless Haitian men are going to live and 500,000 females will die next hurricane season.
    Me I would be shooting the Haitian men now, forcing them to work to save women and children from death later. They are incapable of moving rumble.
    Oh and fuk you.