University of Florida head football coach Urban Meyer steps down
December 8th, 2010

University of Florida head football coach Urban Meyer steps down

Urban Meyer, head coach of the University of Florida football team, will step down after the Gators' January bowl game, Athletics Director Jeremy Foley said Wednesday afternoon.

Meyer will leave Florida with six seasons under his belt. He captured two National Championships, two Southeastern Conference Championships, three SEC Eastern Division crowns and led UF to six January bowl games in a row, gatorzone.com reported.

He was named Sporting News and Sports Illustrated “Coach of the Decade” in December of 2009.

Meyer will remain Florida’s head coach through the Outback Bowl in Tampa on New Year’s Day, the school said in a statement.

“I have been a Division I football coach for the last 25 years and, during that time, my primary focus has been helping my teams win titles,” Meyer said.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and I am a fierce competitor to my core. At this time in my life, however, I appreciate the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field. The decision to step down was a difficult one.

“But after spending more than two decades motivating and celebrating the young men I’ve been so proud to coach, I relish the opportunity to cheer for my three terrific kids as they compete in their own respective sports. I know how fortunate I am to be in a position to make this choice and to have a family that is as loving and supportive as my amazing wife and children have always been.”

Last December, Meyer announced that he was stepping down due to health concerns. But a day later, he reconsidered and said that he would instead take a leave of absence. He returned to his position in time for the 2010 season.

– CNN's Brett Roegiers contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Sports
  1. baroar

Urban was a great coach... but the Gators are going to be down for awhile. He is smart for leaving while he is still a legend. The Florida fans would have undoubtedly turn on him about halfway through the next season. It's national championship or bust for SEC fans. I would like to see the Old Ball Coach go back. Him and his sun visor belong in Florida.

December 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

The only reason he quit is because he thinks that the Denver Broncos will call and rejoin him with his little timme

December 8, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Johnny

Winningest Active NCAA Head Coach is John Gagliardi at St. John's University 478 – 129 -11

December 8, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Truth

I've been a Gator fan for 51 years. You guessed it, at birth. Will Florida be investigated? Probably, all schools are these days. It starts in the family unit. Kids are brought up these days acting like the world owes them something, parents only facilitate that mannerism. Its a shame, but adults are really the biggest problem with sports minded children. Learn to be a graceful winner, but also know how to tie or lose with the same grace.

December 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Truth

Hate is such a final and HATEFUL word. BTW, he didn't quit last year, he took a leave of absence. He resigned this year. Everyone has that right. Even yourself. Wouldn't it be a shame if for your personal reason you had to leave your employment then the situation reversed itself and you couldn't go back. Now that would be a travesty.

December 8, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Willy Brown

Urban "Hello Meatchicken" buh bye Dick Rod! Almost happened last year but Meatchicken kept Dick Rod around for one more beating in the Big Ten.

December 8, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The Truth

Its not about winning or losing. Its about how all SEC. teams crush big ten schools for national crowns. Sorry, couldn't help myself.haha

December 8, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Russell

Urban Myer is one of the best coach's in College football. He is a class person and knows how bring a team together and win games. It never stops amazing me how readers turn on people when they are down. He will make any team he coaches a winner.

December 8, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DVD, VCD Player

Your article has definitely inspired me to rethink the way I run my site. I want to thank you for all your hard work.

October 11, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. orthodontist

You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation but I to find this matter to be really something which I think I might never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely wide for me. I am having a look ahead for your subsequent put up, I'll attempt to get the grasp of it!

April 11, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |