December 15th, 2010

School board shooting: How it happened

Due to the graphic nature of this story, we feel it’s necessary to reveal up front that none of the gunman’s targets in this video were actually hit. The scene unfolded Tuesday at the Bay County School Board meeting in Panama City, Florida. The gunman has been identified as Clay Duke, who told board members he was upset over sales taxes and the apparent firing of his wife. During a drawn out back-and-forth dispute with school board members, he said someone was going to die. Ultimately that someone was Duke, wounded by a security guard’s bullet, but killed by a self-inflicted gunshot to the head.

Superintendent Bill Husfelt explained his frame of mind during the ordeal to CNN’s Anderson Cooper. “I do not have a death wish,” Husfelt said, “I know if I were to die today, I know where I’m going and I was fine with that, but I did not want everyone in that room killed.”

As you’ve seen, school board member Ginger Littleton, who Duke told to leave the room, snuck back in to try and knock the gun from his hand with her purse. One question comes to mind: What was she thinking? She and Superintendent Husfelt talked to CNN’s “American Morning.”

Watch the entire un-edited scene unfold here.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. david

how did his gun misfire?

December 15, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. God

I'm disappointed in all of you.

December 15, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Kay

God. That's how. I have never fired a weapon and yet something tells me Id know how to use one. This guy may have been messed up or perfectly fine but he fired in the direction of people not just one man and missed, unexpected and unexplained...I've seen some wild thins in my day but a 5 year old could have aimed better than that. I've gotta say the big man upstairs was with them!

December 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. n

This country needs to wake up! This has nothing to do with gun control or control of any other weapons. That man tried to take action into his own hands. Ask yourselves, what can you take from a man that already has nothing? He had nothing to lose. His wife was fired, the government denied him health care even after many appeals. This guy could have shot people but he shot past them. People that turn guns on themselves when they are losing houses and jobs are starting to see that killing themselves solves nothing. They are going to start going for the people that left them out on the street. These are going to be government officials and big business executives. If you think you can squeeze out the middle class and think they will site back and take it think again. I will not advocate violence of this type, but you can't stop a man that has lost everything. He will come after someone. If you think the government can stop this, think again. When it comes to mob rule, the guard and soldiers only have so many weapons. Some aren't even going to turn on their fellow Americans.

The powers to be need to wake up. You may be another Florida School Board shooter's, or a man having his house being taken's next target and the next guy doesn't plan on missing. "sorry for the bad grammar, but you know what I mean"

Sorry to bear the bad news, but the rich and powerful created this mess.

December 16, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Wordpress syndicate

Hi there, just turned into aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I will appreciate should you proceed this in future. Many people will be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

April 6, 2012 at 4:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. louis revilla

Hugh J,

yep, she MIGHT have apoint, a fool-ass like you making a comment like that and PRETENDING to be a "follower of God."
    The hateful God, huh? TYPICAL.

December 15, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. louis revilla

HUGH,
    MY BAD, misread YOUR comments, actually I am with you although maybe "Ms Lisa' does not go for those types of acts?

December 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply