December 15th, 2010

School board shooting: How it happened

Due to the graphic nature of this story, we feel it’s necessary to reveal up front that none of the gunman’s targets in this video were actually hit. The scene unfolded Tuesday at the Bay County School Board meeting in Panama City, Florida. The gunman has been identified as Clay Duke, who told board members he was upset over sales taxes and the apparent firing of his wife. During a drawn out back-and-forth dispute with school board members, he said someone was going to die. Ultimately that someone was Duke, wounded by a security guard’s bullet, but killed by a self-inflicted gunshot to the head.

Superintendent Bill Husfelt explained his frame of mind during the ordeal to CNN’s Anderson Cooper. “I do not have a death wish,” Husfelt said, “I know if I were to die today, I know where I’m going and I was fine with that, but I did not want everyone in that room killed.”

As you’ve seen, school board member Ginger Littleton, who Duke told to leave the room, snuck back in to try and knock the gun from his hand with her purse. One question comes to mind: What was she thinking? She and Superintendent Husfelt talked to CNN’s “American Morning.”

Watch the entire un-edited scene unfold here.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Ivory Dorsey

The song below "God Blocked it by Kurt Carr. Superintendent Bill Husfelt said. "God was standing in front of me and I will go to my grave believing that." He is RIGHT!
    God Blocked It
    --Kurt Carr

There were dangers awaiting me
    Destruction was sure to be
    But thank God for Angels
    That were shielding and protecting
    And looking out for me

The Devil had a plan to kill me, I know
    But God intercepted his plan
    And told the devil, no
    God blocked it
    He wouldn't let it be so
    No He wouldn't let it be so

Haven't lived a perfect life
    Seems I've done wrong more than I've done right
    But thank God for compassion and forgiveness
    That kept me from a terrible plight

You see, my life was spinning out of control
    The fact that I'm still a live today
    Ain't nothing, nothing but a miracle

God blocked it
    He wouldn't let it be so
    No, He wouldn't let it be so

For I've got work to do
    work to do

God wouldn't let me die
    Because He knew I had work to do

Oh yes

And I've got life to live
    There are blessings
    He want's to give
    God blocked it,
    He wouldn't let it be so
    No, He wouldn't let it be so

God blocked it
    He wouldn't let it be so

It was the lord
    Nobody but Jesus

School board gunman had Dec. 14 marked on calendar
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 15, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Yep

Lol, what a lot of crap.

December 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

God does work in wonderful ways and on that day he was with the school board. The officer that came in and helped in my eyes he is a hero. He risked his own life to save the others. Just like God did he risked his life for ours and every day I thank him for dying on a cross for me. The shooter could have killed someone that day but God did block that bullet from hitting anyone.

December 16, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. elley m

Well I wish God would have blocked that car from hitting my little brother. Curious how he chooses....

December 15, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • louis revilla

The car that hit your brother was NOT a blank.
      What an idiot that guy, huh? "God" saved me," what a fool on the School Board no less!!

December 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Elly sorry your brother had to die from a car. Just remember your brother is watching over you and loves you

December 16, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. roy g biv

Whoever the female school board member was, who tried to slug the guy with her purse, should win a Darwin award for stupidity above and beyond the call. She's lucky the guy didn't pop a cap in her a$$.

December 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • louis revilla

Hey Darwin,

Look at the video again, the gun was a cap gun, so popping a "cap" would have been literal. I guess he could havve smacked her and she would have been out. She knew it, but HE knew her name, so...he did not want to hurt her. He just wanted to scare and then be killed, straight out "suicide by cop."
      NOW the cop is a "hereo." The guy who was "saved" yeah fat chance from three feet,is now "God's chosen one."
      TYPICAL MEDIA and dumb-person HYPE.

December 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carey Gumaer

Again, this wasn't a cap gun, it was a real Smith & Wesson handgun. Get your facts straight.

December 15, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lisababy

We know not his reasons. of one thing we're sure we know not our time but when it up i will go to my God for eternal peace. Now lets hear from all the haters, athiests agnostics etc. Bring the bulls!t you empty desolate evil creatures. i dont fear your evil empty rhetoric.

December 15, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • louis revilla

Here's one for you:
      I actually attempted to defend your IGNORANCE , thinkingvv that the other commenter was wrong, but based on your comments, it would appear that you not only started this negativity, but you calim to "represent a God who would ALSO condone your worthless remarks? In the name of YOUR confusion, amen.

December 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rose

Lisababy, you sure do have a foul mouth & a heart full of hatred for some one who professes to be a Christian. It is mean, judgmental, holier then tho Christian like you that drove me away from the church. None like you have the heart of Christ. You so gleefully await the day your god judges & condemns those you look down your pompous nose at. & it is then that Christ will turn to you and say " As you have done unto the least of these, you have done unto me." & if ur god & ur judgment day & ur hell are real, then it is you that I pity.

December 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Informed

The story is still evolving. Fact is the gun he carried in only had blanks. So why is everywhere reporting that he killed himself?

December 15, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • louis revilla

They KNEW the gun had blanks they said nothing when the cop showed up, they did not yeall "don't shoot him the gun is only a cap gun." They have to JUSTIFY this silliness.

They could have yelled "let's bum-rush this nut, all 7 of us, BECAUSE his gun is a cap gun." No, the punks. Now they have to justify and make it MORE than it was.
      The guy wanted to die. He did not want to go back to prison. Probably had something to do with his wife getting fired? His prison issues? Just guessing.

December 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carey Gumaer

It's not a fact that he was firing blanks. Watch the video again. They SPECULATE that he was firing blanks because no one was hit. The gun in the video is a real Smith & Wesson handgun, and if you watch, you can see papers ruffled from the first shot, and he fired the second shot into the desk hoping to hit someone. If you watch the interview with the superintendent, he says that there are two bullet holes behind where he was sitting. Count the number of shots he fired before he was taken down by the security guard. It's two.

December 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rose

I agree with you totally! Seems to be a trend though, gun man ALWAYS kills himself. This whole thing seems a bit staged to me! My daughter thought it was people acting out a scenario.... This will be used to enforce stricter gun laws. & whats up with the silly V he painted on the wall?! Did he really set around thinking I am going to go in there with a can of spray paint & paint a V on the wall? & then actually did it! He was shooting blanks or like the other person is saying "It is a cap gun"

December 15, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. roy g biv

Spoken like a true "Christian" LBaby; put yourself and your beliefs up on a pedestal for all to see and hear and then vilify anyone who doesn't align themselves with your ideology and beliefs. You know, that's one reason why Christianity is dying a slow death; you're all hypocrites.

December 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ChelleSea

Hmmm. I'm a non-hating agnostic. Lisababy, you're the one who's hating. I'm neither evil, nor empty, nor desolate. I would pray for you, but I'm not sure if anyone would be listening.

December 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • louis revilla

Well, I am a HATING aetheist. I hate IGNORANCE, I hate poverty, I hate abuse, I hate GREED, I hate people who use their "moral superioty" to take advantage of others, yet PROVING "moral inferiority" by doing the same.

I guess Ms Lisa, the trollette, is a TYPICAL example.

December 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carey Gumaer

I don't mean to trample on anybody's beliefs, but god had nothing to do with the fact that he missed his shots. If you watch the video, he's got his left hand in his pocket while he's firing the gun. Even the kickback from a small Smith & Wesson like that is enough to completely throw your accuracy if you are not supporting the firearm with both hands. If he was really serious about landing his shots, he would have used both hands. Instead of thanking god, they should be grateful that Clay Duke has no idea how to properly fire a pistol. In my opinion, the guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 feet away.

December 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. louis revilla

You need to report the news ACCURATELY!! It is plainly stated in the video that the man was using a cap gun!!
    Doubtful he could miss from 4 feet away.
    He WANTED to get killed, so WHY the FAKE "hero" stuff, or the "saved by God," silliness? Report the NEWS, not your ASSUMPTION of what took place. Look at the video again and REMOVE these GARBAGE stories and rewrite the piece.

December 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carey Gumaer

Louis, you're wrong. In the video, you can hear them speculating that he was firing blanks, or "caps" but he was firing live rounds. There are bullet holes behind the desk where he was firing. These speculations came completely out of the fact that he didn't hit anyone. It's clearly a Smith & Wesson handgun, and he died from a self inflicted gunshot wound. He simply doesn't know how to properly fire a gun and missed every time, or in the last moments he subconsciously avoided hitting them.

December 15, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carey Gumaer

Also, it's completely plausible that he would miss from 4 feet away because he wasn't supporting the firearm with both hands, like I stated above. Ever tried to fire a gun with one hand before?

December 15, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • louis revilla

Cary,

you might be right. You may in fact be correct. I am NOT an expert, but as big as that man was and the probability that he knew how to use a gun, would suggest at that range he COULD NOT miss!.

Now, I did hear the one board member claim "he knew" the gun was a blank, and since I did not inspect the gun, I could not tell a real one from a fake at the distance I am at (on my computer, at my home) so, YOU certainly would have a btter understanding, but if the gun was real it is a "wonder" not ONE person was shot. Did he have three blanks and then a live round in his REAL gun? Was he drunk? Did he intentionally want to miss?
      Doubtful he could not deal with the kicback, not HIS size.
      But this all conjecture as you and I know. But I certainluy grant you the better knowledge of "reall" vs. "fake."

December 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carey Gumaer

Here's a local news station in Panama City reporting on the incident:

"Update: 6:45 a.m. Wednesday, December 15
    Panama City Police Department's Sgt. Jeff Becker confirms Duke used a 9mm Smith & Wesson gun. There were indications he had at least one live round left in the firearm and brought a second magazine with him. Bullet holes can be seen in the walls of the board room."

I suppose it's possible that he could have loaded a couple banks in with his live rounds, but I doubt it because of the bullet holes. Just watch the video. He only gets to fire two shots at the board members before he's taken down. The first shot misses and hits the wall behind the superintendent, and the second is aimed at the desk, which apparently went through and also hit the wall.

December 15, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • louis revilla

I stand corrected. My apologies. But, that guy was a REALLY bad shot, at least give me that!! He could have killed that Borad meber with his breath, he was so close!
      Maybe you are right, he did not know what he was doing.

December 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carey Gumaer

None of us can really say why he missed. I'm only speculating. If he really had it in his heart to kill the superintendent, it does seem very very unlikely that he would miss from that distance. I've never been in a position where I've had to shoot someone personally. Let's think about a hypothetical situation then. Let's say Osama Bin Laden is sitting behind a desk 4 feet away from you. When you take your 9mm and aim it at him, do you use both hands? He's either a complete idiot (which is what I'm thinking) or he really wasn't serious about killing anyone. It could also be a combination of both. I think this guy deserves a Darwin Award himself.

December 15, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lisababy

@ivory dorsey so true i have had a few times in my life where i experianced a miracle its awesome

December 15, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yep

Hallucinations are pretty awesome, aren't they?

December 15, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dr Who

louis you are a kind of evil.....you seem to like if someone else had to be killed.

December 15, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. eva sosa garduno, rn

ginger littleton....you not only were not thinking....you were stupid as well

December 15, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DoubleDutchPolitics

My opinion piece on Clay Duke and the terrible event at the school board meeting in Florida yesterday. How unfortunately his story could become more common in this tough economic climate.

December 15, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kay

I think you all need to stop! Christian or not. Blanks or live rounds. Let the news reporters report and the audience (all of us) sit back and thank god we were not there. Blanks or not, I know any of you, unless disturbed, would like to have a gun pointed in your direction. This is in the past so why is everyone arguing over all of this? It was not anyone here involved so let it be what it is. If anyone in here is related or knows someone who was witnessing this tragedy then pray that they people who were there shake off this day and continue to go day to day without wondering will this situation ever happen again?

Now onto my next point for all of those who think God is unjust and a mean kid on ana anthill...God does things that we (humans, men, imperfect beings) will never understand. God does things that are tragic and seem unfair because sometimes it takes one tragedy to create good in people. Maybe it takes one bad day to make 10 good ones. Maybe it takes one person dying to make yourself see the ones in your life who really love and care for you....just think, there is something that comes from every situation and there is a reason for everything, even if not at this moment it seems good...but one day it will serve its purpose and turn out in your favor. I pray for all who don't believe...I pray for those that do. Its christians that make christianity slowly fade away. I am one! And it is truly horrible that all the people in this world hear more negativity and bad being spoke from the mouth of a christian than a non believer...its horrible that so much hatred could come from a heart that should only know love....its horrible that the people who should be leading others to christ are the ones who only drive people away. Love be with you all....god bless!

December 15, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |