Senate vote hits snooze button on DREAM Act
December 18th, 2010

Senate vote hits snooze button on DREAM Act

The U.S. Senate failed Saturday morning to halt debate and move to a vote on the DREAM Act, which would create a path to citizenship for some illegal immigrants who entered the country as children.

Supporters could not rally the 60 votes needed to invoke cloture, which would conclude debate on the matter so it could proceed to a vote for or against passage. The vote on the cloture motion was 55-41.

Read CNN's coverage of the DREAM Act debate
Post by:
Filed under: Politics • Immigration
  1. Cesar

@Pancho: Did you listen to Matias, you pendijo? She is right, the Dream Act is too easy for you. Read the article and some of the comments, Mr. Pancho. Punk.

December 19, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

@Pancho: Tu madre is una idiota, como tu pinche padra, way. I hope you have a nice week, Pancho, was nice talking to you.

December 19, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John

The problem with mass third world immigration is that even when legalized, they receive more in government services than they pay. Some of the children of illegals are getting educated and prospering, but most are not. They are joining the growing underclass in America, becoming single moms, getting lots of social assistance etc. They are certainly hard working, but they don't earn enough to pay income tax, but since they're here they get the full range of government aid.

December 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

These people will sponsor their less productive relatives and parents. I know latinos are hardworking legal or otherwise but since a HUGE percentage of latinos are adopting single parent lifestyles and shunning higher education, we have a growing underclass that will never pay income tax. Poor immigrants, legal or otherwise do not pay income taxes but they receive the full range of government welfare.

December 19, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

basically the bill says that if you come to america illegally and stay long enough we will legalize you. It might take 10 years, but you'll be legalized.

December 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John

These supporters of the dream act would be wise to start explaining why they love america more than the countries they fear returning to instead of bashing America.

December 19, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

Pancho, you are so lazy, lazy, lazy man.

December 19, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

?what law ? u say its law, once so was jim crow

December 20, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Doris D

No SNOOZE about it, the dumped it and flushed........ We thank them.

December 20, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mojado

Add me to the chorus of poeple finding you via the Real Simple article! Congrats on 8 years, and a very informative site. I'm stoked for spring to kick in so I can use the advice I've found here!

March 14, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mulato70

When you start doing the jobs we do.

December 18, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jean

They are Illegals – Dreamers or not. The parents are initially to blame, but when does the cycle end? The USA should not reward illegal behavior. Yes, some may pay taxes and social security, but it does not compare to the amount of funds these people take from the system. The eductaion of their children, the benefits, the health care. It all cycles down and the US citizens and tax-payers pay for it in increased taxes etc.

December 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Reina Cervantes

Ignorant thoughts were going through those senator's minds as they were voting "no"! They were not thinking of America's future because it's unreasonable to think that $1.4 million would not benefit our country!.. and yes it is OUR country. This is a risk-free bill that would give students no way of getting past the law. The DREAM Act targets ONLY those with a passion for this country and their education and that is a fact not an opinion!

December 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Reina Cervantes

Jean, WE ARE TAX PAYERS!! You see what i mean by ignorance?!

December 18, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SteveK

I am happy it did not go through. I am a legal immigrant whose parents first paid $500K for my education here (private school, and top college). Then I worked here for almost a decade paying very high taxes on a work visa (high six figure salary). And that silly act does not apply to me – I have to wait in line for my green card for years bending myself over backwards to get it – I call that a BS. The act should have given people like me an option to get a green card first – I have been legal on visa here for 15 years and put well over $1 mil into this economy though education and taxes. There are many people like me with PhDs from MIT, Princeton, etc who are told not to even wait to get a green card through employment by the companies since it takes too long to get them now. Pretty sure every country can always use one more MIT PhD regardless of the unemployment (which is about 2% for folks with grad degrees btw unlike almost 20% for those without a college degree) This administration and democrats gone completely off the reservation on everything from immigration to taxes and etc, and I am glad they are being shut down.

December 18, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |