Kroger announces select pet food recall
December 19th, 2010

Kroger announces select pet food recall

The Kroger Co. is recalling select pet food packages from stores in 19 states fearing some of these products may contain aflatoxin, a toxic chemical byproduct that could be harmful to animals.

The recall involves certain bags of Pet Pride Cat Food, Pet Pride Kitten Food, Old Yeller Chunk Dog Food, Kroger Value Cat Food and Kroger Value Chunk Food, the company said Saturday.

The Kroger Co. urged customers to immediately consult with their veterinarian if their animals show any signs of sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat. A yellowish tint to the eye/and or gums, severe blood or diarrhea are also warning signs, the company said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Consumer safety • Recalls
  1. America 1st

Im sure the miliary can use that dogfood to feed the DADT things

December 20, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ed Bailey

That gives answers to why the cats are not ok. Now who was stupid.

December 20, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. phil

@Fred...great. First ThomasD reminded me there was such a thing as Hillary (on another thread this am) while I was set to eat my oatmeal but I got it down. And after reading your post, there's floaties in my coffee. That is interesting though...I never knew.

December 20, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. Barbara

Well, while some of the cosmetic products might have rendered products, what almost all have is kaolin clay. So go figure, women spend a fortune on cleansers for their skin and then to please the male species applies dirt and rendered products. Is that not an enigma?

December 20, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Elaine

We suddenly lost our cat a few days before Thanksgiving. She was 11 and we thought it was old age. It appeared she had eaten something wrong. Now we suspect what happened and why. I miss her so much.

December 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rob

So someone needs to do the official investigation as to where this stuff is manufactured, and by whom. And I noticed that CNN did not bother to tell us that it is Kroger who did the recall. I would also like to know what other store brands of pet food are made in this plant! Curious human of a FurBall!

December 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • loreebeeeeeeeeber

Made in TN.

December 20, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim

I'll bey ya this is a product of china......

December 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • loreebeeeeeeeeber

You'd lose.

December 20, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. German Linguist

Kroger is an Austrian term used to describe what happens to pet's when they eat something bad.

December 20, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

Well, I am beginning to understand why my dog started to become allergic to his food after eating the same stuff for most of his life. Yuck! Guess I'll have to keep cooking for my critters...it's all good!

December 20, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tomcat

without naming there are quality pet foods. read the lables. watch for corn and fillers. check out fish food. how many fish eat rice or meal? you would be disgusted and wondering why did i buy this crap. i see what is in the food i eat and do the same for my mini zoo.

December 21, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. the incredble edible leg

...and my boyfriend wonders why i took his beagle off pedigree and switched to performatrin -_-; heck i won't even buy science diet cause it's junk. i work in a pet supply store and the first thing i learned was if the first ingredient on the food bag is CORN it's a crappy food.

December 21, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. tomcat

@leg so true

December 21, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. HealthyGOO

My DOG has > Fleas / No > FOOD Allergies / No > Allergies to Inhalants / YES !

PET Parents > While special Dog FOODs are nutritious and Food rotation is always suggested...

Many Parents of DOGs turn to special FOODs in a effort to mitigate Allergy Symptoms of Itching / Biting / Skin Issues > Thinking that the symptoms are Food Allergy.

I have looked into this subject and found the following:

25-30% of All DOGs have Allergies.

Of the total population of Allergy DOGs..

10% are Allergic to FOOD sources exclusively

5% are Allergic to a combo of FOOD & Inhalant

85% are Allergic to Inhalants Exclusively.

So.. While special FOODs are well intended, they do not address / treat source of Inhalant Allergy i.e. Grass, Weed, Tree Pollens, Mold Spores, Mites.

What do I do ?

I don't want to give my Dog a lifetime of DRUGs, that only Mask Symptoms …
    And Allergy Testing
    And SHOTs are out of the Question because of Price and the Pet & Pet Parent Hassle Factor.

Recently, I have heard of a New Product which is DVM Veterinary Dermatologist Formulated which supports & Balances the DOGs Immune System and also builds Tolerance to Food Sources AND Inhalant Sources.. All Naturally.

The Company is called Healthy GOO and they call the Product > doggy goo.

Healthy GOO says it will launch March 2011

I think I will give it a try..

I have no other viable Option… My Pooch is Allergy Suffering ( and so am I !) !

December 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. shana

Be sure to check out OrganicPetBoutique.com!

They built their business on customer service and they have a large variety of Organic Pet Food! They can be reached 24 hours at 888-443-9222. You can use coupond FREE15 for 15% off your entire order!

January 20, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |