Singer Teena Marie dead at 54
December 26th, 2010

Singer Teena Marie dead at 54

Teena Marie, an award-winning singer-songwriter known for her R&B
performances, has died, her manager said Sunday. The performer was 54.

Marie was found dead by her daughter after apparently dying in her sleep,
manager Mike Gardner said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Music • Showbiz
soundoff (1,082 Responses)
  1. Derrick A. Johnson

Thanks, Tina. Your voice has had an amazing impact on my life growing up in East St. Louis, IL. I'll always remember you.

December 27, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sean

Check out this show! Mz Optimizm pays tribute and celebrates that life of Teena Marie! She will definitely be missed.

December 27, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sabrina

Lady T you will be miss but never forgot your songs help thought a lot of thing in my life 'It must be magic" because G0D give u a voice so beautiful !!!! R.I.P

December 27, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rich Stout

Tony, you're in my thoughts.
    –Mr. Stout

December 27, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. BYGMYKE2255

Star child reached cool ppl of the earth!!! She was all of us take a look, and realize we are all beautiful! No matter your race, if you love ppl u luv her

December 27, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. stacy

That's sad to hear another good one gone.

December 27, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rena Renee

My friend called me up right before I was headed out the door to go to work and told me this horrible news. One of my favorite singers of all time and I actually met her in person before, she was in my neighborhood just visiting her friend. She was not Hollywood at all. She was a very real down to earth type of chick. My heart goes out to her daughter as well as her other family members. I am 27 years old so I grew up listening to her. She was a badass musician/singer and she was also a great person when I met her. R.I.P lady Tee!!!!!!!

December 27, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cheyenne aka Snoopy

RIP Miss Teena Marie I grew up listening to your music you will always be loved and missed my blessings go out to you and your family.

December 27, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. tammy jackson

Omg. this has to be one of the most hurtful things of the year for me. my prayers go out to her family an may god bless the. you will be dearly missed!!!!!!!

December 27, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. Wandra Outlaw

Rest in Peace Teena Marie...You will be missed, I was planning on seeing you in concert at The Fox Theater here in Atlanta on New Years Day with Frankie Beverly and Maze. You were the main reason that I wanted to come. Your will never be forgotten. "Portuguese Love",Fire & Desire.Square Biz.etc Luv u Much!!!! Best wishes to your family.

Wandra Outlaw

December 27, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Christi

RIP Teena, u will be greatly missed. I am 33. I remember listening to u as a little girl all the way til now. I love ur music and ur beautiful voice. U definately will not be forgotten. Love u.

December 27, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jacob

Who is this woman? Why is she significant? I, for one, have never heard of her. I'm willing to bet the cause of death was due to an overdose of Phenobarbital.

December 27, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • sw2love32

Do something you probably have never done before research it..ask your mom or dad.. everyone does not die from overdose!

December 27, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mike Vegas

No Longer "Behind The Groove" fyi, my fav TM song -She's singing w/angels.....she will be missed

December 27, 2010 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. Claudia Rascon-Cordero

Teena was awesome! RIP Teena. You awakened my senses with your beautiful voice and placed a passion for life in my heart with "Lover girl". You will be missed.

December 27, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Alistair

Before there was Maria Carey back in the early 80's, my relatives would play Teena Marie songs like Lovergirl and my all-time favor square biz. Along with Rick James the music was the anthem of the streets or rather the soundtrack­.
    Together their style of funk ushered in the death of disco & the precursor to hip-hop ­no small achievemen­t. She will be missed and their will never be another Teena Marie.

December 27, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |