Police are investigating an explosion in a building in Wayne, Michigan, a western suburb of Detroit, authorities said.
A city official said a gas explosion had occurred at a downtown furniture store, resulting in injuries and damage.
CNN affiliate WDIV reported that several people remained trapped inside the store.
Another CNN affiliate, WXYZ, reported the explosion at the William C. Franks Furniture store could be heard two miles away.
Anyone that has disrespectful comments are completly ignorant i live a few blocks from the store n the scene is horrific . there was a horrible gas leak i was there n the fumes of natural gas were overpowering. i send out prayers to the families of the victims and all the men and women working to find the missing employees.my thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
I too live (and work, manage a property) a few block away, right on the border of Wayne and Westland. The explosion was not only horrific, it shook the ground. Everyone went running outside to check on each other. One of my residents witnessed one man who had glass in his head and neck and was just standing in a daze. She said it looked like his eye was missing. I can see the sky glowing from the search lights as they keep searching to find the missing. Yes, this is a time for thoughts and prayers. This is heart wrenching.
I am horrified at the comments above have some compassion people there are human lives lost shame on those who find this joke worthy ~wayne co resident~
This blog – This Just In – will no longer be updated. Looking for the freshest news from CNN? Go to our ever-popular CNN.com homepage on your desktop or your mobile device, and join the party at @cnnbrk, the world's most-followed account for news.