Indiana earthquake: a 'very loud boom'
December 30th, 2010

Indiana earthquake: a 'very loud boom'

[Update 12:14 p.m.:] The U.S. Geological Survey has downgraded the earthquake from a 4.2 magnitude to a 3.8 magnitude.

[Original post] Debra Sholty was just opening up her business Thursday morning in Kokomo, Indiana, when a magnitude 4.2 earthquake rumbled through the north-central part of the state.

"It was like a huge explosion under your feet," said Sholty, the owner of Hobson Cleaners.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake struck just before 8 a.m. ET and was three miles deep. Its epicenter was located about 15 miles east-southeast of Kokomo, and 50 miles north of Indianapolis.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Indiana
  1. phil

Cicero wasn't a bible thumper. He just realized that even if their were no God, the principles laid down in the bible are far better than those laid down by corrupt politicians.

December 31, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Taia

I live in Muncie. I heard a loud boom too. I've never been an earthquake before though. I didn't know an earthquake sounded that way.

December 31, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lana

Alright. One person stated that loud explosive boom was caused by a fracturing caused by drilling? Does anyone know why they would be drilling in Greentown which is right out in the middle of cornfield U.S.A. ? I live 50 miles south in Indianapolis from where the epicenter was located. I felt that explosive boom as if an explosion took place in my office building or the one next door. The last time I felt a jolt like that and heard a similar boom was when the Kokomo grainery blew up. That grainery was not even a mile from house. That impact sounded just like what I heard that morning of the earthquake. ...continue

December 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Lana

Now I realize the magnitude of this earthquake was nothing compared to other more serious earthquakes. But this is not normal. I've been through several earthquakes in Indiana before. None of them began with a boom. The huge jolt that shook our building yesterday isn't something I have ever felt in any earthquake. I have felt earthquakes in California, Arkansas and Indiana. Can anyone give me an instance where they had mistaken what they felt and heard as an explosion when only to find out it was just an earthquake.

December 31, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Lana

A mysterious boom is just not common no matter which state you live in. A mild earthquake may be common. And I have been in several. But I know the difference between an explosive impact that starts with a boom and a common earth tremor. I just want to understand why this earthquake felt and sounded so different. I wouldn't be here with questions if I had felt this was just another common earthquake. This was anything but common...even if the magnitude was not great. They did manage to downgrade it from a 4 pointer to a 3 pointer. And I would like to understand that as well.

December 31, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Lana

I would just like an answer from a person who knows about seismology. It's very interesting to me that this would be the first time I had ever mistaken an earthquake for an explosion. And Indiana of all places. Can anyone tell me if the shallow depth of this activity be the cause of such an explosive boom? I really appreciate the people who are lending some intelligence to the topic.

December 31, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply