It's a girl: Queen Elizabeth announces first great-grandchild
December 30th, 2010

It's a girl: Queen Elizabeth announces first great-grandchild

The British monarchy has welcomed a royal bundle of joy, Buckingham Palace said in a press release Thursday.

Autumn Phillips, wife of Peter Phillips, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, gave birth to a girl on Wednesday at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, according to the statement.

The baby, whose name will be announced at a later date, is the queen's first great-grandchild. She weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces.

Peter Phillips, the baby's father, was present at the birth, the palace said.

Phillips, 33, is the son of Princess Anne, the second child and only daughter of the queen. He married the Canadian-born Autumn Kelly in May 2008.

Peter and his younger sister have no royal titles and perform no royal duties. They are the cousins of Princes William and Harry, the second and third in line to the throne, respectively.

The new baby is 12th in line to the throne.

1. Fred Bartkowski

Conradulations and blimey I think.

December 30, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bonnie

You mean blimey there is a royal family still, as for the tyke, happy and healthy as it goes

December 31, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
    • WarmDayinFL

I must confess that I am a royal watcher and I find their history fascinating, but I do have to wonder what poor, defenseless animal had to lose it's life for the Queen's hat. By the way, I believe the new baby's name is Savannah, which is a very nice name. God Save The Queen.

January 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. hAYDEN v

I never even knew she had a daughter. The last children of 2010 🙂

December 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lilarose on South Oregon Coast

Princess Anne has been around a long time! I am thinking maybe you aren't a true royal watcher.

December 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • michelle

Still have one more day for new babies =) My husband is a Dec 31st baby.

December 30, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • veggiedude

Time to put all this royal crap to rest. Its the 21st Century (10% spent) and we still have to put up with this?

December 30, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandalwood

How could anybody not know the Queen had a daughter.

December 31, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • calmncool

Veggie – you don't have to put up with anything. It's none of your business. And if you don't like hearing about it, find yourself another blog.

December 31, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • ScipioRising

That's because she is usually mistaken for a horse.

January 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • MSfromCA

Me either. WHO CARES! Most of these royal watchers aren't even from the UK. Its got nothing to do with us in the US. They are figure heads any way. If they tried to use any of their supposed powers, they would immediately find they don't have any.

January 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. YourPantiesInnaWad

Congratulations to Peter and Autumn Phillips.

December 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jerry

Damn, that drops me down to 278th in line for the throne!

December 30, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • hushupp

Don't worry, Jerry, I am sure you are Number One on someone's list!

December 31, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. slavedriver

I'm still amazed at this royal thing. My mother is from ENGLAND and always considered the royals a farce. I do wish the baby and parents well.

December 30, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Johnjon

I think they should have called her "Prince Anne".

December 30, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. joe

This family is not descended from englishmen they come from Hannover through the evil Georges

December 30, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • SamFromCda

actually, descend from the House of Stuart – King Geo I's mother was a Stuart

December 30, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • katyengland

why the concern with country of origin? hasn't it been proven that all modern humans originated in africa, all the cultural divisions that exist create hatred and violence. a healthy baby has been born regardless of her origins. my only gripe is that the thousands of others born at the same moment as her will not all have the same start in life as her (and i'm not talking about lots of cash and a private education), food /clean water/ shelter and parents who care for them.

December 30, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Natch

Pretty sad....the baby is 12th in line for the throne, and probably has a higher chance of sitting on it than old Prince Chucky does!!

December 30, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • B

The baby has a higher chance of winning the lottery than ever sitting on that throne.

December 30, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bonnie

It is Prince Cheseey Chucky Charlie, do you mind ha ha ha

December 31, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. tinko

Wishing well for the baby and parents. The Royals consume too much of the public resources and they should quit for the public good.

December 30, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kiwimom

The day that the monarchy falls is the day that over 50% of the tourism in Britain dries up. All those goofy "Royal Watchers" (me included) will have to spend our "Pinney money" on other things. I think that although the money the royals spend from the British people is outweighed by the $$ they bring in based on their popularity and sponsorships, etc.
      Poor Chuck will probably not be king, but wowza, long live Prince Wills!

January 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Irene

Best Wishes and Good Health to all.

December 30, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sunsohot

She may be the Queen and all royal and all, but she's still a mom (or is it Mum?), a grandma and now a great grandma! Congrats to the whole family!

December 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • calmncool

Well said. Congratulations to the whole family. The Queen is looking might fine. That's the BEST hat I've ever seen her wear.

December 31, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Ellie Williams

I agree! Congrats to the whole royal family & that IS the best hat QEII has displayed in long time. So very glad to see her smiling!!!

January 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joeymom

Congratulations to the royal family! May you enjoy this new baby girl and all the baby yumminess!

December 30, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Big Joe

@Joeymom: where are you so I can slap you

December 30, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shahjahan Bhatti

Long live Queen Elizabeth!

December 30, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Big Joe

Here here I second llong live queen

December 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |