Man chronicles firefighters' 67-hour shift digging out N.J. township
January 1st, 2011

Man chronicles firefighters' 67-hour shift digging out N.J. township

The epic snowstorm that hit the Northeast last week was matched with an epic effort from first responders, including a group of firefighters in Neptune, New Jersey, population about 5,100.

The Hamilton Fire Company crew that worked the night after Christmas were all volunteers, said iReporter Bhak Tanta-Nanta, a firefighter who filmed a 67-hour shift that spanned three days.

That fire crew and other first responders had to deal with abandoned vehicles, waist-deep snow and residents upset that snow on their streets hadn't been plowed fast enough.

Among the difficulties Tanta-Nanta, a five-year volunteer, and his crew mates faced were:

– A house fire that the crew had to trek to from another street. Did firefighters have issues with the waterhose freezing? “We had issues getting to the house,” Tanta-Nanta said.
– Thirty inches of snow in some areas.
– Six hours of sleep over a three-day period.

Neighbors assisted first responders, digging an almost two-block-long trench so they could pull an injured elderly man from his home.

Firefighters had problems getting to the man’s home. “We could not reach the house but neighbors had been walking to the street [to flag down EMS crews], so they had already made a little path,” Tanta-Nanta said.

At one point, neighbors and children helped dig trenches with the firefighters, Tanta-Nanta said.

‘The whole neighborhood came together. It was really cool to see.”

When asked why he volunteers, Tanta-Nanta said, “I don’t know. We give back to the community. That’s what we do.”

1. tomcat

@ greed go spray your water on a class C or D fire. If you did serve thanks. But you eyidently failed in the respect dept.

January 1, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MissAnthrope

That was tongue-in-cheek, Gekko. Anybody can create a false pedigree on the internet.you just proved it!

January 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RUFFNUTT

i have a master's degree in underwater basket-weaving.

January 1, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bgreed is good

Again we have been fighting fires for tens of thousands of years its not rocket science. What's the big deal? You have a dangerous job, but so do king crab fisherman! Now those guys are heroes! Sacrificing their lives so I can enjoy a delicacy of delcious crab. Yum!

January 1, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MissAnthrope

RUFFNUTT, I think I love you!! Lmao!!

January 1, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. j rob

hey 'greed' why didn't you serve enlisted if you have a degree? You could have made a lot more and had a better chance in civy job market. I was enlisted for 9 years got out as a SSG and had trouble finding a good job

January 1, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MissAnthrope

Sure, cavemen were putting fires out on the 80th floor of their condocaves, right?
    Why you would try and detract and belittle what firemen do is beyond me...

January 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bgreed is good

I really like Alaskan King Crabs. Are there any Alaskan King Crab Fisherman in this chat?

January 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

I'm an Alaskan, though not a crab fisher (only sport crabbing – for my personal use). I can guarantee you that if you shot your mouth off once like you have on here, you would go down as bait in the next pot. And then (big smile!) the crab would eat you.

January 2, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. tomcat

@greed. You dont have a clue about life, do you?

January 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. j rob

I met to say why did you serve enlisted and not go for a commission

January 1, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Greed is Great

I had 3 yrs done un undergrad got bored. Got out went back to school blah blah. 9 year SSGT? What did you do wrong?

January 1, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MissAnthrope

I think you hit it on the head, Engr1! greed wanted to be a fireman when he grew up! Hahahahaha!
    A fireman wannabe! Thank God Fire Departments have high standards!

January 1, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jamie pitt

i dont know what this is about!!!!

January 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. j rob

its king crab season I'm sure the fishermen are busy

January 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. snoozlewind

Ok, stop a moment and think about the past. New York noes Snow!! Snow removal is a no brainer for New York. Why, may I ask is this snow storm different than all the other snow storms? Are the people different? Could it be simply that it came on a Holiday, People take off for vacation. Please stop talking about the New Yorkers like they are lazy or like they don't know how to help one another, The first responders are Heroes, I pray for Sunshine to Melt your problems away Precious New York.

January 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |