Australian towns brace for more flooding; death toll rises
January 3rd, 2011

Australian towns brace for more flooding; death toll rises

Rising floodwaters cut off the last ground route into the eastern Australian city of Rockhampton on Monday, as police pegged the number of people affected by prolonged flooding at 200,000.

Flooding also put increasing pressure on the southern Queensland cities of St. George and Surat, even as floodwaters receded in the communities farther to the north, including Emerald.

Police said ten people have died as a result of flooding since November 30.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Australia
  1. banasy

floods, eartquakes, dead birds, Oh my!

January 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DerpDiggler

Guess they're really trying to live up to being the land down under!

January 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

oh yeah we're just decided to have a flood which 15 ppl (so far),atleast five being children including a thirteen year old who scarificed himself to save his litte brother, with another 61 missing just to live up to being the land down under. grow up and stop being a idiot, so many people lost loved ones and their homes.

January 13, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bleh

Trolls, morons, and
    posers! Oh, my!

January 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

Floods are a terrible thing to experience...I know firsthand.

My sympathy to the families of the loved ones they've lost...and prayers to all affected by these floods.

January 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RUFFNUTT

how the heck do you die from a flood? i'd just get in my camaro and drive to higher ground. on the way i'd stop at 7-11 and get a slupee, spike it with some everclear and wait it out.

January 3, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aussie pride

And if the higher ground was 500km away yet the river crossings to get to it are 8 metres deep??? What ya do then Einstein?

January 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Salandy

And people in Toowoomba QLD just experienced, what they are calling, an inland tsunami without any warning. How do you escape that Ruffnut? I think some of you people on here are extremely harsh to us Aussies. I empathise for anyone, from any country that is in suffering whether it be from war, mother nature, etc.

January 11, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. WhatUtalkinBoutWillis

Obama is on his way in his invisible jet to save the day. Fear not Aussies!!! Dah da da dahhh... *swoosh*

January 3, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLINOIS

How DARE you show so much disrespect for such a GREAT man~Especially after he FIXED our economy and CHAMPIONED the health care bill, SAVING our lives!

January 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BobaFett

I think he's showing disrespect towards you and the rest of the sheep Sherri. Haha. Save the world. I suspect he has great admiration for Obama, but sees him as a typical flawed human. Grow up.

January 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT

maybe obama can print up a bunch of 100-dollar bills and dump them into the water to dry it up?

January 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. WhatUtalkinBoutWillis

@Sherri: You are aware of how our system works right? Congress has the real power. You act like he's in the White House drafting up legislation. Go read a book or climb on a treadmill. Do something useful. Everyone just laughs at you.

January 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BigShunk

Hope al turns out good!

January 3, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLINOIS

I OBVIOUSLY know how our system works better than you~If congress runs our country, then HOW is president Obama THE most POWERFUL man on the planet? HMMMM?

January 3, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aussie pride

Don't delude yourself Hun it's only you Americans that think you are a superpower the rest of the world just giggles at your collective projected self importance... What will happen if the printing of currency devalues your economy to the point of you being stripped of your benchmark world currency status... Like what happened to the pound stirling before they gave it to the USA ???? What's your GNP and GDP at??? Do you produce what you need to survive? I think not

January 3, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bambam

I was gonna run but the water got up to my neck before I tryed to run and then I could not run crocky

January 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. centerofma

Please don't get shera started

January 3, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bambam

He's not the most powerful man in the world he got stiches playing basketball and lost that game

January 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |