Police looking for University of New Mexico Hospital shooter
Someone shot a gun Tuesday at the University of New Mexico Hospital, but no one was injured, a spokeswoman said.
January 4th, 2011

Police looking for University of New Mexico Hospital shooter

[Updated at 8 p.m. ET] A suspect fired his gun inside the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque Tuesday, but no one was injured, the university and police said.

Witnesses told officers that a female patient was with her child when the woman's boyfriend entered the room, police said. The couple began to argue.

At some point during the altercation, the suspect pulled out a small handgun and purposefully fired it, according to a statement from the Albuquerque Police Department.

He then fled. Video shows the man leaving the hospital about an hour later, said police, adding that the search for the suspect continues.

"They confirm one person was in the hospital and shot his gun inside the hallway, but no one was injured," said Cindy Foster, a spokeswoman for the UNM Health Sciences Center.

The university lifted a lockdown order it had previously issued for all personnel in the central and northern portions of the campus.

CNN affiliate KRQE reported that the incident began shortly after 3 p.m.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • New Mexico
  1. Tom

If any of you "intellectuals" out there would actually sit down and read a book, I recommend that it be "Ten Myths of Gun Control" or "Intellectuals and Society." Most people I know who think their thoughts are "superior" to those of "common folk" don't ever read a book. Yes, they're smart enough, but they claim they are too impatient, so they just do all of their thinking by themselves. The result is a form of delusional insanity.

January 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Yes. It's a good idea to read books (more specifically to pursue information from a variety of sources, including through reading).

That said, it's also a good idea to not rely on others for their opinions. People opting to think *by* themselves is not as frightening to me as the many (many many many) people that opt to let others do their thinking for them.

1) read from a variety of sources (left-wing, right-wing, middle-of-the-road, domestic, international, etc.)
      2) make your own decisions based on that information
      3) profit!

Re. this news story: The actions of this 21 year old "man" are inexcusable; I'm hopeful that his young wife and child have this punk removed from their lives permanently. A real man would never behave this way.

January 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kidrocks

Guns don't kill people... people with guns kill people!

January 4, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kidrocks

Guns are overrated!

January 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT

i dont mind the ruffie :) and i always stay legal.. i only got arrest once for discharging my gun, and that was cause some guys were breaking into my car and trying to steal my rockford fosgate sub woofers. i cought them in the act.. first i called the cops while they were in the car stealing and waited like 10 minutes (( i guess they were on a donut break at the waffle house or something )) then when they really tearing my stuff up i shouted the cops were on the way.. well they hid but there car was parked across the street and down aways... so since they took my cd player i gave there car a few warning shots.. they ran off and got away cause my threewolves t-shirt was in the dryer and it was cold outside.. when the cops came 30 minutes later i told them what happen and they got me for the discharging a gun offense. other than that im clean.

January 4, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Nah, Ruffie doesn't mind being called Ruffie; I do it all the time! :)

January 4, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RUFFNUTT

i would really rather have a gun and not need it then need a gun and not have it..

January 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • kidrocks

The truth is that you will in all likelyhood shoot a member of your family or yourself before you 'really' need a gun. Not to mention that a child will accidently shoot themselves or someone else first!

January 4, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mark

I suggest anyone who owns guns and has a child, take a gun safety course or three.

January 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. polishmillrite

Gun control is hitting what you're aiming at.

January 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • kidrocks

especially when you are trying to hit 20 or 30 running for their life... moving targets!

January 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. stephen

Omg. I am a gun owner and I promise you I am more likely to shoot an attacker of any sort than any member of my family. I was taught gun safety and responcibility. And my gun stays in a place my son can't get to till he's old enough to learn the same thing. And when he's old enough he'll learn gun safety before he's allowed to handle one

January 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mark

Well if your talking about my '"views", on The Bill of Rights, its not really debatable. And for that matter, I'm pretty sure the only opinion I expressed is everyone feels like firing a round in a hospital every once in awhile. As for the res of your post, I'm not exactly sure what your trying to say.

January 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. J-mo

camaro's are more than just a car, they're Starships.

January 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PBinABQ

Welcome to Obama care. Is this the way it starts?

January 5, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. COL. BAT GUANO

It was Billy The Kid!

January 5, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Eliver

There's your problem: what exactly is "common folk" or better yet, what according to you makes one person "less common" than another thus allowing them, by your statement, to possess firearms?
    The US does not categorize people, with one group having more rights than other, much less based on such criteria as "commonality".

January 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jackson

If the common people didn't have access to guns then we would be at the mercy of those who did.

January 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |