Radical cleric returns to Iraq from Iran
Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr speaks to his supporters in this photo from 2006.
January 5th, 2011

Radical cleric returns to Iraq from Iran

Radical Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has returned to the country after more than three years in Iran, according to Iraqi state television and websites maintained by al-Sadr's followers.

The Shiite cleric has been in Iran since early 2007, apart from a public appearance in Iraq in May 2007.

He has been studying in the Iranian city of Qom to become an ayatollah, the title given to high-ranking Shiite Muslim religious scholars.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Iraq • World
  1. yellowrose1010

Just what we need – another ayatollah!

January 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

He sure could use a dentist.. It looks like he has got an oyster living inside his mouth.

January 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. duke

All he had to do was conform and sell his people out!!
    Of course he would have been offed by his own village,but atleast the propagandist tricked americans would have been told he was one of the good ones had that happened!!

January 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Veritas

Holy shiite!

January 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

People of the United States of America.
    As usual,we never learn from our mistakes.Letting al-Sadr back into Iraq is like letting Martin Borman back into Germany to re-establish the Third Reich!We need to crush these Arabs to make them really really understand who is in charge if things get out of hand again.The time will come for a Draft because of the way we tried to be Nation Builders instead of being Conquers.we will have to go back in .The Government can have my Vietnan Special Forces Ass to drop in a Meat Grinder again ,but there's no way I would let my Grandchildren be Drafted to go to Iraq,Iran or Afganistan to save any Arab Muslim.I will ship them to Sweden before I would Sacrifice them in a useless effort.

January 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Spoke like a true..IDIOT. Just to be sure you know where I come from....Retired U.S. Army 1989 to 2010 and I served 3 tours in Iraq. Different times different situation. You might want to do some more research on al-Sadr before making these accusations. While I am definately anti-al Sadr (our unit fought against his Mehdi Army in '04), you are completely off base and have no clue about Iraqi Society. Yeah, lets crush people like you suggest (sarcasm) we will definately need a draft then.

January 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. duke

How can you claim to have fought in one brainwashed,propaganda operation,
    And still hatefully support another??

January 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Daniel

It's about time the Iraqis took back their country,even if it is in the form of a Shiite cleric. Iraq belongs to the Iraqis and nobody else!!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

Beautifully said,Daniel. Thank you.

January 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. I heading left

droan strick please

January 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. I heading left

opps....small key pad! I mean strike!

January 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

Chris.
    You snot nosed kid,I have a Purple Heart from a Vietcong bayonet that left a 10 inch scare down the back of my arm before I was able to shoot him in the head.
    I was killing NVA Regulars and Vietcong when you were probably only your daddy's wet dream so spare me your lecture about right or wrong.

January 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • WhenInDoubtBackRambo

Right on, Frank!!! Tell these youg whippersnappers who think they know how its done, how a REAL war is fought!

January 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Just don't brag about what you did in Vietnam. There's absolutely no glory in killing! Despite what the right-wing thugs in Washington say,war is but one thing,bad and the one in Vietnam should never have happened!

January 5, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Sorry folks,I was a jerk to post the above.

January 5, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. T

Frank i'm ashame people like are given the chance to become soldiers! Soldiers are patriots. Soldiers have prides. Soldiers stand for dignity and rights. What did u stand for during your days of killing? Coruption and greed. You could not even stand for your country's brighter image, let alone your own pride for truth and loyalty to stand by right. Soldiers of wrong doing and evil intentions like you should shut up. You're killer for nothing! Iraq for iraqis, let em live free in their own land. Its all they've got for home.

January 5, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You said it all,T. Thank you.

January 5, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. westin

Would it be to much to ask a ayatollah school to teach brushing of teeth... unless fuzzy teeth are in style.

January 6, 2011 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jack

I heard he and ayatollah are gays.

January 6, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. Veritas

I guess his oral hygiene is as radical as his religion

January 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |