Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. Texan

Looks like he was just exercising his 2nd amendment rights..

January 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. tim

well kid, you've got to watch that Omaha. It'll mess you up...

January 31, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. USN Atheist

Is that right? And your sub-standard information is coming from where? Nice to see you find amusement in this.

January 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. JJ3rd

Learn how to spell. Intellectual midget !

January 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Brian Holbrook

Hey, Jesse
    The Love of Jesus hasn't been particularly effective at preventing violence in the past...

January 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. DaFool

Please do not spam with your religious views. Look around the world...religion the root of all evil...

January 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. CRAIG

Amen, I will pray for all involved .God's Grace will reign

January 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Dan the Red

Hang in there, Jesse. These kids need you now, more than ever. Please disregard them; forgive them, as Jesus said, because they don't know what they're doing....

January 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Carla

A true and realistic love of Jesus DOES keep violence off the streets. Love in God, instills morals and faith. A killer, no matter what religion they claim to have affiliation too, does not have a sane and realistic love for GOD. Never underestimate the power of having faith. If everyone in the world shared the same pessimistic views of religion as you those you that have shared your negative comments with Jesse's comment, then our society would be way more violent and messed up than what it is today! You don't have to believe, but show respect for those that do! Another note to add, those people that believe in God and attend church regularly, live longer, healthier, successful li.ves and 60% less likely to suffer from any type of depression.....according to a recent study at Harvard Law. Maybe you all should try praying, it would definitely help with your anger and negativity. Two wrongs don't make a right. Jesse was trying to express what he has found makes his life a happier place.

January 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Doug

I hate to tell you this, but Jesus is the problem , not the solution.. Teaching guilt and hate only creates turmoil and more suicides.. Don't you people ever get it ?

January 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. ConcernedPerson

Jesse – get a life please. If jesus is some sort of god, then why didnt he stop the shooting. If u resort to the old answer of "god works in mysterious ways", then u are ignorant. More people have been killed in the name of jesus than any other historical figure.
    MAYBE, just maybe, trying to delude kids into thinking that there is some jesus savior who will take away their problems does more harm than good. Maybe if kids were taught that jesus has nothing to do with their behaviors, that only THEY themselves do, then maybe kids would be more responsible.

the FACTS show that jesus is as much a killer as he is a savior!

January 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. DaFool

It's quite funny how people of the 21'st century still follow the "word" of a 2000 year old Jimmy Swaggart preacher. That's all this dude ever was... a preacher.. and I guess a pretty good one to still have a following..

January 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jhondoe

That's were u went wrong know thinks anything about u or thinks about u at all, u pointed out a fact and I agreed with u then I simply pointed out another fact

January 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Dr. Bleargh

Did your parents name you by throwing pots and pans down the stairs? Lol!

January 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Eric

I don't want Morr guns, I want MORE GUNS!

January 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply