Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. Dr. Pillman and the troubled youth

"Hello Mrs. Brady, I see you brought your son Tommy with you today." That's right Dr. Pillman. He's been acting-out in school. Is there something wrong with him? "There sure is Mrs. Brady, but we have medications that can fix Tommy right up. I'm prescribing some Prozac for him. And while your here, care for a refill on your xanax prescription?" Oh sure! "Fine, give me a minute though, I've written so many prescriptions today my arm went numb."

January 6, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Chelsea

Not that my comment will help either but would you guys stop arguing about this? Nothing you say is going to change what happened. If you want to change gun/drug laws then take it to court but please let this be a place without fighting. I knew robert for three years and nobody would have seen this coming. It was not the school's fault, religion's fault, or drugs fault. He was just a confused, yet pretty average kid, who didn't care much about consequences. RIP Robert and the principal. My prayers are with their family and friends.

January 6, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dr. Pillman and the troubled youth-by phil

When kids act-out in school and at home, it is a cry for help. There is nothing wrong with them. Kids are like sponges and absorb what is around them. They absorb our wars, our domestic violence, etc. and act this out because they don't have the words to explain their feelings. Don't be like Mrs. Brady. (above) Seek help from a drug-free source.

January 6, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kurt

Typical of teenagers today. It's everybody elses fualt I am such a cry baby. Just grow up already. But no, they have to take thier problems out on their principal.

January 6, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. myself

This is a sad story but all of you are idiots

January 6, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dr. Pillman and the troubled youth-by phil

@my elf...I'm not an idiot.

January 6, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Just a thought

I live in the Omaha area and from what I have heard it sounds like he went to school in Lincoln, NE from Kindergarten to Senior year with all the same friends I would bet. He then moved to Omaha in October..then Christmas break. I don't know what other problems he could have..but moving a senior away from his friends and especially when he only has 2 classes left to complete...I bet this was very traumatic. I had to move our family once which really affected my kids..I can't imagine this situation. My question is why not wait until the senior year was complete?

January 6, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave from Omaha

I moved (changed schools) seven times as a kid, and I haven't shot anyone yet.

January 6, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Meandwhatarmy*

What horrors would he have been capable of had he gone to . . . *gasp*! College! I'm sorry, but Seniors in H S shouldn't need their diapers changed. I seriously doubt this was "moving trauma."

January 6, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. people

a few people on here are dumb as **** , u can not outlaw guns bc people r being shot, it happens everywhere in the world. and if they did there will still be around and people wont have a way to defend them selfs. there r more stupid people in this world then smart and you just have to roll with the punches. i went to millard south and graduated in 04. it was a good school and its too bad what happened and im sorry for the families that are going through this. who is the dummy blaming this stuff on anti- depressants, you dont even know if the kid was talking them dumb ****

January 6, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave from Omaha

And, as this individual has demonstrated, the academic standards in Millard aren't as high as they seem to think.

January 6, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. coda623

live in Omaha and am a freshman at Skutt Catholic High School, literally MINUTES away from Millard South. Obviously, it's a tight-knit community, as many students had received texts from South students by 7th period (out of 8 periods). Our principal made an announcement about the shooting and at the time they could only confirm injuries-no deaths or names of victims. Clearly, this school had no need for metal detectors before. There are some schools in Omaha that DO have metal detectors. I don;t like making assumptions from what I don;t know, but Omaha Northwest, Central, and other high schools in not-so-good areas do make use of metal detectors. But Millard South is in WEST OMAHA, for God's sake. That's where all the rich and middle class live. It's the part of the city with the lowest crime rate. So why install metal detectors when they are not needed and the school district is already in debt anyway? The reason this student was driven to shoot ONLY administrators has to be because of the suspension. Otherwise he would have targeted students as well. I assume that he got his gun from his father's stash of police weapons, which seems to me like a reason to have the dad tried. He should have kept the guns same from that kid regardless of if he was or wasn't suicidal. My school's principal did not have us lock down, although he did ask that seniors with senior privileges and other students and staff refrain from leaving the building without an adult to pick them up and/or supervise. he also recommended we stay clear of the Millard South area. The situation at Millard South, the Millard district and Skutt was handled very well. I will keep the victims, staff, and students in my prayers, as well as the shooter himself. The shooter was clearly very distraught over the suspension. Which raises the question of whether suspension is an effective way of punishment, but that's a completely different topic.

January 6, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Hate to be the one to tell you this, but crime happens in West O all the time. There may be less violent crime out there, but it's still riddled with drug dealers and property crime.

January 6, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. TJ

I attended Millard South 20 years ago, and sounds like it hasn't changed. it's a school centered around jocks and surrounded by bullies and racists. i was so glad to get out of there, but the more things change, the more they stay the same.

January 6, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave from Omaha

Rude, inconsiderate, self-centered- these words can describe 80% of the people from Millard. I lived there for well over a year- never spoke to the neighbors. I moved back to Midtown to rediscover humanity. The suburbs are so bleak and lifeless, it's a wonder that more folks out west aren't going nuts.

January 6, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Savealife

Are you kidding me? Millard South was a great school and is a great one. I graduated from there in 2006. My family lived there for 11 years and we knew everyone on our block and had great neighbors. It was a great place to grow up and never thought it was boring. A place an be boring only if you make it out to be. Millard South I got to meet many international students and learned to love and appreciate different cultures and diversity. Millard South helped form my wanting to travel the world and wanting to work with International Students. Sidenote reply to Face it: I am offended by what you are saying about mental illness. It is people like you that bully those with a serious health problem from seeking help. Yes people are misdiagnosed and side effects happen, but mental illness such as depression, anxiety, bi-polar are as serious as those with diabetes or cancer. Stigmas will continue with people like you and anti-depressants are nothing to be ashamed of and help many people because their brains aren't producing the right serotonin levels.This young man was troubled and did cry out for help and no one answered. It is our fault, we are apathetic and only care about ourselves. If anyone is to blame it is us. For once stop blaming others and take responsibility for your actions.

January 6, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dr. Pillman and the troubled youth-by phil

@justathought...irrational behavior on the part of young people is due to the irrational behavior of parent's and other adults in the youngsters life. Waiting until the senior year would have been rational. Big monters mate, and when the do, a little monster is born and raised to be a monster.

January 6, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sally Li

This is one more reason to abolish public education, by privatizing it and replacing taxpayer responsibility with fathers' responsibility.

January 6, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. tom pitchford

I SAW THIS COMING ALONG TIME AGO. I went to Millard south in 89-93 and went to Anderson middle school bbefore that. KIDS THERE ALWAYS PICKED ON EVERYBODY AND STARTED FIGHTS. ILL ADMITE I THOUGHT OF DOING THE SAME THING WHEN I WAS THERE. But thank god im away from there now and in the military as a mp.

January 6, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Holden

Education is a right. Seeking higher education through college or some other means is not. I'm sorry Sally li, but that statement is exactly why we need to work twords INDIVIDUALIZING education through better teacher training as well as administrative training instead of just abolishing it. but have fun under your rock.

January 6, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. phil

@tom prichard...so now you get paid to do what you accuse these kids of doing?

January 6, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |