Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. Jerk

@tom pitchford:
    With English skills like that, I'd rather you be in the brig.

January 6, 2011 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mark

It would seem so.

January 6, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mark

On another point, the notion that this kid shot his principal purely because of a suspension is absurd. The relationship between the two need to be investigated, and probably will, if not by the sensationalist true crime authors years after the defense attorney fails to do so. I know first hand teachers and administrators are capable of abuse.

January 6, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

Dr. Kaspar had a reputation of being really really harsh in disciplining students, but I'm pretty sure no abuse went on.

Dr. Case is a sweet guy. I was very surprised to hear that he had been targeted. But, as he is the Principal, he had to okay Dr.Kaspar's decision to suspend Robert.

January 6, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. tom pitchford

I saw this coming along time ago. I went to anderson middle schoul then Millard south in 89-93. I was always a victom of bullies and got picked on. I will admit at the time I wanted to do just what that kid did. I realy did not like Millard at all and the teachers never did anything to stop it. But im out of there now and am now a military police officer come pick on me now bbullies.

January 6, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

It is really annoying how everyone keeps assuming Robert was bullied.

He was angry because he had just gotten suspended and all of his senior privileges away.

January 6, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. phil

Troubled youth equates to a troubled home. Children will ALWAYS act-out in public what goes on at home. If the home features domestic violence and/or violent TV, the child Will act this out.

January 6, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. phil

When a child is exposed to parents who cheat on each other and/or to violence in the home, be that domestic violence or video violence, the child will act-out this behavior in public. His acting-out is nothing more than a cry for public assistance, because his own parents are too busy doing their thing to talk to him about it. There is NOTHING wrong with the kid. So Don't expell him from school you principals...seek a childrens advocate from your local court for help.

January 6, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. phil

Do you think child-molestors were born that wat? NO, THEY WERE NOT. He/she was molested as a child, most commonly by a family member or a trusted family friend. Rather than exposing the family molestor, the family hides him from the public out of selfish fear. This can go on for decades. If the child is exibiting unusual behavior in public, it's because something unusual is happening at home.

January 6, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. mnhs grad

Really? Bullying and Bad teachers...come on. I have had Great teachers. I have had horrible teachers. I've dealt with cruel high school jokes, being left out, sometimes when it feels you have no friends, some rough semester grades. I did not murder anyone because of it. How many people posting have experienced these things and managed to make it through high school and had the sense to realize there are better ways to deal with these things. It is called growing up and everybody in history has had to deal with this. I do not believe you have blame the parents, but building good judgment and the ability to distinguish right from wrong starts at home, and ultimately parents have the responsibility to instill this in their children.

January 6, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. AaronT3

Hmmm, I wonder what the school did that was so horrible and if the replacement leadership will follow suit.

January 6, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
    • ada gott

The school adminstration did not do anything wrong... The student was disciplined, as he should have been, but due to his 2 year old response, 2 people are dead.
      OPS requires discipline also, but if the parents complain, the student is allowed back, and the displinarian is expelled...
      If Millard followed OPS, the disciplinarian might still be alive.

January 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. phil

It's as simple as a case involving a 6yr. old child still pooping his pants. If I hit you hard enough, you would lose control of your bowel muscles and sh/t yourself. Parent's who yell and scream at their kids and haul off and smack them around can cause this to happen to the little feller. Children are small and delicate and have good ears. So talk softly about this problem with the child.If your child is till pooping his pants, this is a result of years of conditioning. YOU MUST be patient with the child, for it is your fault to begin with.

January 6, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. tommy pitchford

Rip butler I know how u feel

January 6, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. tommy pitchford

Mnhs grad thinking like that is why this is happening no one wants to stop it from happening, oh u got picked on im sorry deal with it. Well I dont work that way I causes more problems than u know. U were probly one of those kids picking on everyone wernt u.

January 6, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. phil

You parents, don't think for one minute that your violent video and dirty magazines/video are not seen by your children. Your adult mind is fully equipped to deal with this, your child's is not. YOU MUST talk to your children. If you don't, the child will begin acting-out in public what goes on at home. Where do you think bullies and perverts come from. This acting out is a cry for help. If your lifestyle is to bizzy, seek help from a therapist who refuses to drug children. Lack of prozac is not the problem.

January 6, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

You don't know Robert personally and you don't know his family life.

Stop assuming you do.

January 6, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. phil

And yes, I was a bully in school. My entire family line is full of Navy. From Sir Amiral James Dewey to my father, every single one of them a harsh disciplinarian. But I didn't pick on the weaklings. I beat the crap out of the other bullies. It wasn't until after I left home at the age of 15 that I was able to realize I had a problem and sought help. I was also very promiscuous as a young man. While my pears patted me on the back, I was left feeling lonely and sought help. So yeah, I am speaking from experience. Many many years of experience, for I am old.

January 6, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. phil

"Peer's" rather.

January 6, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I was going to ask where you got the talented pears from.

January 6, 2011 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |