Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. phil

I challenge anyone to debate what I have posted. Start w/post # 294 on down. If you decide to attack me personally, as in any debate, you will have forfeited. Challenge my message if you have the nerve.

January 6, 2011 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. phil

@Dave...but then you saw I had corrected my spelling, but decided to post this anyway. Odd.

January 6, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. phil

I'ts past my bedtime, so g/n. If anyone decides to challenge what I have posted here this evening, this board will be here for another day or so. I will check in the morning for challenges.

January 6, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. LOW LYF

RUFFNUT I STILL WANT MY THREE WOLF T-SHIRT BACK YOU CAN GIVE IT BACK WHEN WE GO TO THE SHOOTING RANGE AND GET HIGH IN YOUR 82 CAMARO

January 6, 2011 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. GrnBrtMdc

Everyone's missing the point here, with stupid "Spelling issues, and Psycho on Meds, etc". WHY did this kid feel so isolated and alone as to do something like this? Moving AFTER Senior year started? REALLY?? Talk about having your whole World torn up- and then to be marginalized by the Jocks, etc in the New School? Typical HS- Jocks m& "In Crowd" idolized, new students dumped on continuously. Condolences to the families, but why did the Principals not get help for this troubled kid? Obvious "fitting in to new School problems" seem so cliche, but MAY be accurate. It TAKES TIME TO INVESTIGATE ALL OF THIS- WE NEED FACTS- not supposition by armchair QBs, or Psychiatrists. Not being involved, it is easy to second and third guess everybody there. What is needed now is an INDEPENDENT, Non-Judgemental, outside investigation into the situation. What pushed this kid over that precipice? Was it mounting bad decisions by the School (Teachers, Counselers, Principals, Jocks, Fellow students), that just caught up to this young man. But with the 15 second News-bite mentality now taking over America, we probably won't get that. And so it will be repeated, somewhere else in the future. When will we learn from our past mistakes?

January 6, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. ***dude***

In general, I agree with Phil. I watched the mistakes that I have made manifest them self in my daughter. Talk to them.

January 6, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. mspaul

ohh really good site.......it really help everyone who want to know about new things

January 6, 2011 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Can you find out?

My son went to school last year with a girl who transferred to this high school. They keep in touch via texting, Facebook, etc... She texted him that AFTER the shooting, the boy left the school and ran 3 blocks to Millard West, where he was walking the halls. They identified him and he ran again, then committed suicide. I can't find it in the news stories to confirm. If this is the case, why wasn't the Millard West locked down?

January 6, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Former Millard student

All of the schools in the Millard district were on lockdown for some time during yesterday's events. Then all the schools Millard South and the few schools nearest were on lockdown. Then just Millard South for the rest of the afternoon.

January 6, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Former Millard student

Also, Millard West is way more than 3 blocks away. It's about 3 miles up Q Street.

January 6, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. brian d

I think most of you spelling nazis should double check your own damn spelling before you try correcting someone elses spelling BUNCHA JACKWAGONS lol i love that word

January 6, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. phil

@Pam...exactly. Most all of the people posting here were not even alive back in the 60s, let alone as an adult. We had troubled kids back then, but we also had close-knit neighborhoods even in our cities. Oftentimes others knew of your difficulties along these lines before you did. And we didn't have this full-frontal attack on our family unit: most of us didn't have a TV or if we did, we had only one and it recieved only one channel. The family would all gather around and enjoy the most popular shows featuring happy families with parent's who took the time to talk w/their kids. It's not like that now. And so these medications are used to replace or try and repair damage from years of neglect. Our children cry out, and are sent to their room for some violent video viewing. When they act-out in public, we say something is wrong with that kid and dope 'em.

January 6, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. phil

@***dude***, exactly. And thanks for reading these posts. Our children want our time, not a bunch of cheap plasti-crap made from cheap oil troops die for so even more oil flows to China allowing even cheaper crap to stuff in our kids rooms, and in the case of violent video and such, their minds. When was the last time you read 'Bambi' to your little girl? And your young son, when was the last time you took an hour out of your bizzy TV schedule and talked to him, really drawing him out. Trade all that plastic crap in on a family camping trip, something wholesome b4 your kids go nutz.

January 6, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. brian d

Hey spelling natzis is SHART a real word???For those of u who dont know what that means its when u think u gotta fart but accidently poop ur pants

January 6, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. phil on the soelling "nazi's"

My spelling has improved quite a bit from others helping me. These are goodly folk and mean well. They are not "nazis" We do have those who are bothered by certain posts, but can't argue with what was said because it's the truth. So they look for anything wrong in the truthful post, zeroe-ing (how you spell?) in on a misspelled word and attack it with ferocity for they themselves have been exposed. Not exposed here for this is generally an annonymous venue. Exposed in their own minds, triggering aggressive behavior just as they have been programmed to do. They even attack that person's charachter. These are the real spelling nazi's, and should be ignored here. If there is a schoolmarm here, you can see I still need help with sentence structure and splelling. Help? 🙂

January 6, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. Shelby

I am sick of all of these people thinking that they know exactly what the problem was and how to fix it.

No, you don't know the whole story so don't act like you do.

And to think, most of these commenters are adults.

January 6, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. phil

Maybe if we just focus on this one story here we can pretend to be unaware of the bigger problem featured in a few posts above by very few individuals. This story isn't just about one kid from one family going to one school. It's about all of us. It's about all of our families. Why strain the gnat? The camel is here for the gulping.

January 6, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |