Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. Bandofotters

RE: "I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye"
    ___________________
    Would a gun make a person think like this? To know that you are affecting (and possibly destroying) the lives of others and still going through with it? Forget the gun!

January 6, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. phil

@Bando...thank you. But the gun gnat has been strained enough. We all know that it is people, not guns, that kill other people.

January 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JamBit

@what?
    Agreed, Adults acting like a child. The sorrow, this report displays. My respects to the family.

For all of you in school or teaching school or a parent of a child going to school. OPEN YOUR EYES! this can be prevented most of the time. Social isolation and deprestion in alot of cases cause this. If sombody you know is in this position or another hostle position in school talk to them. Thats all it takes. Let them know there not alone!

January 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bob Edwards

It has been found that Robert Butlers father is a detective and that Robert used his fathers gun to commit this horrible crime. This is very unfortunate for the father. I am an avid firearm enthusiast and almost everything you buy that has anything to do with guns is emblazoned with the message that it is illegal to leave a firearm anywhere it could be accessed by a minor. Maybe it was in a safe. Maybe the kid somehow leared the combination. Not good. Dad was apparently not cautious enough.

January 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. iola ballard

why cant people forget the spelling and think of the victims and their families and also realize that until we get the government controlout of schools and get the bible and board back in schools and let parents control their kids instead of the other way around its not going to change

January 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mohammed

I guess first we need to look at our selves and treat each others equally. there are alot of brat snoopy white kids that make other feel like they are not welcome at thier own countires.

January 6, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ada gott

The student could not handle discipline. He acted like a 2 year old and had a temper tantrum. ... BUT since he was a 2 year old ine a 17 year old body, he was not controlable and results are more tragic than a normal 2 year old would produce....
    Quite possible, the parents allowed this "tantrum" in the past, but this caught up with him...
    Parents need to teach children descipline, and not tollerate this type of misbehavior. Drugs are not the answer, nor is blaming others.
    The discipline was not inappropriate and suspension was not a cause for this kind of behavior. Most students know is is inappropriate to tear up the school athletic field and it was a serious offence..

January 6, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eric R

Just awful

January 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Badddddd

Damn .

January 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Doyle

People this is serious. Spelling arguments in this situation is ridiculous. My Aunt teaches at this high school and my entire family is extremely relieved she is alright. Imagine the looks on our faces when she called and told us to look at CNN to see what happened. Gods blessing to the family of the deceased.

January 10, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. yousoconfused

which and whos god you talking about. im pretty sure there is quite a few out there. try believing in yourself and not having to rely on someone else when things go horrible or a so called miracle took place.god bless you lol.

January 10, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Taysia

It was a horrible tragedy and it is horrible that something so bad happened to this kid to make him want to shoot his principal and assistant principal either he was stressed or verrrrrry upset

January 10, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sad person (taysia)

It is a horrible tragedy and it is very sad that a kid was so stressed out or upset that he thought he had to shoot his principal and assistant principal and then shoot himself it makes me feel bad and sick that there are people in the world that would do that I'm sorry for the principal, assistant principal, and the kid it is a very sad situation

January 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sad person (taysia)

Sad situation for principals and kid

January 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lina

These school shootings seem to be becoming weekly events...lets do something about restricting firearms already

January 19, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |