Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. will

duke your an idiot incase you didnt know millard is predominately white @sshole. Race doesnt matter when a crime is commited. A crime is a crime no matter what color the person is

January 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. duke

Jesse norman!!
    The problem with your plan is,
    In the end there is a good chance that the kids will come out of it touched(in the wrong way)
    Next to the police,I don't trust a priest!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan the Red

Let me guess...no perverts outside the church? Trying to tie Jesse to paedophile priests is rather lame...as well as idiotic. Do you not trust nurses? I've heard some of them of have done bad things. How about teachers? Some of them make the news. I'm sure you distrust all strangers because of stranger abductions. Don't trust your parents, 'cause bad parents have been turning up in droves in the news...ever get the idea that in any "group" or "type," there may be some bad apples?

January 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pastor vs Priest

Look up the difference between the two before judging one or the other. There are good religious leaders out there. The ones that have hurt others obviously aren't real people of GOD, they are psychopaths that use GOD to justify their horrible actions. Individual people are the ones to blame, not a certain religion, race or gender. We all have our own brains and make our own INDIVIIDUAL decisions. Leave the innocent pastor alone that was just trying to display faith and love in GOD. There is nothing or strange about that! Don't we live in a free country?!

January 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s. holmes

it's Mallard high school, not Millard.

January 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

You are an imbecile. It is MILLARD.

January 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • s. holmes

I read a CNN blog post that said is was Mallard. Are you calling CNN a liar?

January 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Wow...just to clarify it is Millard, CNN has since corrected it. I live and work in Millard and can assure you it is Millard.

January 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dr. Bleargh

...people kill people you bunch of posing insects...

January 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. duke

Will!!
    On CNN race is always the topic whenever it's a black neighborhood experiencing tragedy!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

This is an upperclass white suburb.

January 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. allen

My condolences to the friends and family of the victims,I hope the principal recovers fully.What is going on with all the shootings? You never heard of these kinds of things when I was a kid,and there were far fewer firearms restrictions.what is causing the madness?

January 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Actually there isn't anything "with all the shootings". Violent crime is at an near 40 year low, and the murder rate has gone down over 10% since the aclaimed "assault weapons ban" (see the FBI's Uniform Crime Report) was allowed to die. There isn't really an epidemic, it is more of HOW it is reported. Say you are a politically motivated person in the news industry. Say there is an issue which you have strong feelings about. Now are you going to portrait stories about that issue in a manner that suits your political leanings, OR will you try to show that issue in a fashion that is nuetral and unbiased? Well the media has chosen to go with option #1 when it comes to firearms, which was why when CNN did some of their stories on that much vaunted ineffective "assault weapons ban" they purposely aired footage of fully automatic weapons which have been restricted by federal law since 1934!!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terre08

How old are you, 500 years? Look up Charles Whitman, he killed 16 people 45 years ago. Over 100,000 people in the US get maimed or killed annually in the US by guns. This country has always been extremely violent.

January 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusaSeign

Right-Winged Nut Jobs. More guns = fewer shootings? how does that work. Take guns off the street!

0 guns = 0 shootings.

January 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Hey Terre08, I would look for statistics somewhere besides the Violence Policy Center and the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, there are no where near 100,000 deaths and maimings a year in this country. Look at the Dept. of Justice and FBI statistics regarding the subject...at least they aren't AS biased as the anti-gunners!
      SusaSeign, go to the UK then. I can tell you that you are dead wrong. Cops carry there, they carry discretely, but they carry (as do I, a gun and badge). Your premise that no guns = no crime has been proven time and time again to be DEAD wrong. In fact, just ask the Jews of Germany and Europe how effective gun control was in the 1930's and 40's...if you can find any.
      This isn't about being right or left, it is about my right to self-preservation. Though that may be a specious argument because if guns cause crime and kill people, then mine are all defective.

January 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

What happened is 24 hour news networks, Twitter, Facebook, the Internet, message boards... etc... etc. Do you think Clinton was the first president to get an oval office bj, or that hate crimes are a new thing, or that celebrities drive drunk more often now? Most things that happen today have been happening for 100 years, it's just we are so inundated with media that as soon as things go viral, it's everywhere... not a small story on the third page of the newspaper 2 days after it happens.

January 5, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dr. Bleargh

Right, you're just my little yellow friend.

January 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Purple Iris

My heart goes out to the people involved. It's a real tradgedy and we'll probably never know exactly why it happened

January 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jhondoe

This is why why I carry a glock and 45 rounds of ammo when I go to college not letting a crazy gun men kill me Bc no girls like him

January 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. momto4

I wonder why it came to this? What set the student off?

January 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Disgusted

Sadly the boy was upset that he was suspended today for destroying the football field with his car, he left earlier in the day and then returned for retaliation. Great parenting taught this boy that if he doesn't get things his way he can throw a fit and boy did he ever!

January 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusaSeign

By the way, he is son of a police detective.

January 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mdanger

People, you can't just blame the parents and shrug it off. People (of all ages) who have behavioral and emotional problems aren't just that way because of their upbringing. This young man was nearly and adult, I don't think we should be judging his parents (who are no doubt blaming themselves already) for his actions. Shame on you.

January 5, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bio-Fuel

Mdanger I agree with you, this is a tragic event that will touch every family involved.

January 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary Poppins

This time it really was Obama!

January 5, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. David Nihsen

Last Facebook post from the shooter:

My daughter goes to the school. Very sad.

January 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Nihsen

Many apologies. I didn't realize that this was protected from unregistered users on my site. I was not trolling for traffic. I have fixed permissions so this won't happen any longer and anyone can view it.

January 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Edog

Everyone just ignore chinese diplomat, he's just a troll.

January 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. KG

You have just as many students of other races dropping out of high school as you do blacks. Why do people always try to make it a race or religion issue. Regardless of the color of your skin or whatever you believe in, why don't we just show some sympathy for the families. What if it were you or your family?

January 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. elidude

another proud day for the NRA, keeping America safe........NOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

What does the NRA have to do with this? This kids was the son of a cop, so that even if we had your myopic utopian dream of no guns owned by mindless subjects, he could have stolen one from his father anyway.

January 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusaSeign

No guns for anybody. Be more like England where regular police do not carry guns, only the special force units.

January 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • VegasRage

Yes, because like the ring of power, the gun, precious, mades him takes the precious to the schools and shoot the nasty principals. Gollum! Gollum!

Get real.

January 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusaSeign

It has to be the guns fault. We cannot take responsibility for ourselves, we must blame the inanimate object which cannot cannot do anything in and of itself, but is inherently evil and dangerous. It is never the person at fault, always the object that made them commit the evil act.

January 5, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Da1andOnly

Surprisingly, sometimes its not about race or religion, he was probably just a confused and depressed kid who did something horrible

January 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |