Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. momto4

He was suspended today for driving his car on the football field. His dad is an omaha detective

January 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shawn

My prayers go out the family of the victims. Always a shame when those who need help don't get it in time.

January 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConcernedMom

Shawn-
      Truer and wiser words have not been spoken. Too bad he didn't feel like he could reach out to someone – anyone.

January 5, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shawn

My prayers go out to the family of the victims. Always a shame when those who need help don't get it in time.

January 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Disgusted

This is sick, the son of an Omaha Police detective goes into a school and shoots the two people that suspended him earlier in the day. I wonder if dad is missing his gun. A lot of questions to be answered here. Rather than bully other whose comments I may not agree with or judge the incorrect spelling I would like to say to the victims and their families you are in my thoughts and prayers, and the city of Omaha is behind you in this time of need, more than the morons that are bullying each other on this site.

January 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sad

My former teacher who is now the assistant principal was one of the administrators shot. This is a horrible tradgedy at an otherwise excellent school. It is one of the top in the state at athletics, music, drama, and academics. Hopefully the school will continue to be remembered for its achievements over the past 30 years rather than one persons terrible actions. It is not about race, religion, or the other ridiculousness some people want to bring up whenevever they can. It is about someone making a consious decision that will have immediate negative effects on many and a ripple effect on countless more.

January 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BigSir

Yes, adhering to Christian ideals would be good. Gun control might help too. Part of the problem here is that in this country, we call ourselves Christian, but use guns with little conscience. Its called war and its been nearly continuous for the past 60 years.

January 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Yes, lets balme all the "bitter clingers"! By the way, gun control is hitting what you are aiming at! The son of a cop would have still stolen his dad's gun...so there goes your myopic socialist utopia commrade!

January 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigSir

Hey Eric, Maybe the UK is closer to my Utopia since most police there don't carry guns. Thus, the boy could not
      have stolen his father's gun. You can't still what doesn't exist. The UK isn't communist so you might want to filter your postings with your mind. Look, go shoot some rabbits if its your idea of fun. I don't care.

January 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Hmm...maybe you need to take a look at the police in UK again. They ARE carrying weapons, and the crime rate there is, and has been significantly on the rise. Guess when all this started? When they banned private ownership of handguns! Funny how that works, when you take guns away from law abidding subjects, they turn them in. The criminals keep theirs and find ways to get more. You can have the UK, I'll stay here and be a CITIZEN, and subject to NO ONE!

January 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusaSeign

I agree with BigSir. UK police have no guns, only the special force units do. Being closed minded about trying different and better strategies and calling them Communist ideals will get us nowhere.

January 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ecoherbalism

Gun control? You dont need guns to kill people mass amounts of people. look at Africa.

January 5, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

SusaSeign
      So it's OK for you to call people names, but I cannot make a statement about socialist/communist policies? Disarmament is the policy of dictators and tyrants. Who do you think heads up the UN committees on small arms control with the aim of eliminating private ownership of firearms? It is tin-pot dictators who know that disarming the people is the best way to subjugate them. Why do you think the Chinese populace hasn't overthrown the communist leadership? Why did the Soviet people suffer under Stalin? Why did the Germans and eventually nearly all of Europe, with the notable exceptions of Switzerland and Sweden, fall to Germany? Because the PEOPLE could do nothing about it! By the way, do you know why Hitler left Switzerland and Sweden alone? Arms! Arms not only in the hands of the small standing and reserve armies in those countries, but also the arms in the hands of the people. You can go elsewhere for a gun-free utopia, but I'll stay right here in NEBRASKA thank you!

January 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. duke

You have the forgiveness and excuses,just like the Pope!!
    an Indoctrinated Christian,is just as equally dangerous as his Muslim Brethren!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

you have problems. that's putting it lightly.

January 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. a mom

Does it really matter if they spelled Millard wrong? I just sat here at work and watched a co-worker nearly lose it as she started getting text messages from her child. Her child was at this school when this all started. I cried with this mom (as I have school age children too, not at this school though). My heart broke for her as she text her child trying to figure out what was going on. We knew at our job there was a shooting before it hit the media and I can bet they are not caring if you spelled Millard wrong.

Also, for those making comments about the location of this school...does that matter? A child walked into a school full of innocent children and adults and fired a gun. Would you be saying the same thing if your child was in this school?

Unbelievable the amount of insensative comments I am reading.

January 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • ConcernedMom

Operative word here is CHILD!

January 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • stepmom

Sadly he left a suicide note on his facebook page...http://twitpic.com/3nbwzl/full

Just breaks my heart knowing that this kid, the son of a police officer, thought that this was his only way out as a 17 year old. This brings back all my memories of the Von Maur shooting when another teenage boy thought he had no way out. It is all very sad and the fact that it was in a white, upper class neighborhood with an african american boy has absolutely ZERO to do with it! this kid was lost and now his family is grieving, the family of those shot are grieving in limbo for their loved ones and all those parents and kids at school today are terrified. let's keep it in perspective...tell someone you love them today, as our mayor said.

January 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ian

My first order of business as Supreme Leader of the Universe is to ban the comments sections across the land.

January 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Is this Ian H. from NWU?

January 5, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Hail to you Oh Great Leader! LOL!

January 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. seccey42

Wow you pearly white perfect white people kill me! 99.9 percent of the stuff listed on here is about something done by some other race other than black. But yet everything is our fault somehow
    All you other races come on and take some responsibility for your own screw ups and the screw up kids you produce. Damn demon spawns

January 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

don't blame an entire race for a few comments made by ignorant people. you're basically doing the same thing.

January 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Damn demon spawns...where did you get that one. It seem to me this child has anger management issues and disregard for authority. I do have to wonder about the dad's influence for police industry is infamous for brutality and abuses of authority. I wonder if dad brought too many war stories as amusement to the house or a bully himself. Sorry dad! Sorry for mom for letting it in the door. The administrators, were they women? All around tragedy!

January 5, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr. Amp Best

This the problem wit people 2day y'all worried about correcting each other spellin and arguing wit each other and yet 2 people are hurt and one dead and yes I 4got 2 put my commas and periods in there just 2 show how ignorant y'all are

January 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusaSeign

I believe it is spelled "ignant", jeeez....

January 5, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rich

Wow. I used to go to that school. My advice to those reading this is to go home and tell your kids (if you have any) that you love them, and you will always love them, no matter what.

January 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Omahan

Shooter was 17, a student, and was the son of an Omaha detective. He was suspended from school this am, left the building, tore up the football field with his car, then returned to the school and started shooting.

January 5, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Laura B

I graduated from this high school four years ago, and I am shocked and saddened by this violence. Dr. Case and Dr. Kaspar were dedicated to their jobs and students, I am praying for them and their families, and I pray they pull through their gunshot wounds. I pondering right now how the suspect got out of the school, where the principals offices are located, is right near the front door, and there was always security right there or even an (armed) Omaha police officer. I am waiting for more information. Please keep these people and our community in your prayers.

January 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Limbaugh is a liberal

And the shooter is... a christian! But I thought only muslims can be terrorists!

January 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusaSeign

If I was on a plane and saw a Christian I would be very nervous. Since Christians kill people. Right Bill O'Reilly?

January 5, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |