Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. What Has Happaned to White Kids?

this is what happans when white kids are spoiled and trusted with guns

January 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

of course you're right it's only the white people doing this. don't just go after one race. everyone does it and the color of their skin isn't the issue. it's the psychotic mind of a killer that leads to the end result not black or white or whatever other race you want to include.

January 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

For every white kid that gets in trouble with a gun, there have to be atl least 20 black and Hispanic kids, probably more. Why the racial comment?

January 5, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. J W F

No one should be shocked at this type of event anymore. Can't you all see that the problem starts at home. This kids parents did not know their child. If you are going to have children then you need to take the time to get to know them. Why was this child not being supervised or punished at home if he destroyed a schools football field? Where were his parents? This goes back to parents not teaching their children respect. Kids are getting what they want when they want it and the parents are clueless as to what their children are really doing. And if someone is "mean" to their kids or trys to punish them then they just get a gun and start shooting??? What does that say about what this child was taught at home. Take the time to get to know your klids, set limits, get involved in their lives. Teach them right from wrong, and make sure that they know what happens when they break rules, and follow through with it. This was over a suspension from school..... now two people are hurt and a child is dead and it is because the parents were not involved in this kids life and did not teach him that if he does the crime he will do the time. Parents need to stop bailing their kids out and making excuses for their bad behavior, and the need to start to PARENT their children. Giving your child everything they want is not being a parent, setting guidelines and teaching them to be productive humans is what your job is as a parent. This type of thing will never end until parents get involved in their kids lives!

January 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigSir

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." There is some truth to this. You are blaming as if there is only one cause.

January 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • J W F

BIG SIR: The causes are many, but the parents are responsible for their minor children. This kids dad was a cop, he knows the signs of an angry child and did not see it in his own? That is why I say, take the time to know what your kids are doing, thinking and acting on. If these parents would have known their child then this could have been prevented. If your kid ripped up a football field with a car, would he still have access to a car to get to the school to shoot these people? NO!!! He would have no car, cell phone, internet. Parents just give them what they want and the rest of the people around pay the price for their poor parenting.

January 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • bluangel30

JWF: No, it is not that simple. If you believe you 'know' somebody, even your own kid, it doesn't necessarily preclude them from going off and doing something unthinkable and unpredictable like this. Unfortunately, we don't live in a black and white world.

January 5, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Big Mike

this thread shows why allowing comments on news stories is a waste of bandwidth. on opinion pieces ok, but news articles it's a waste of space.

January 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Omahan

Since when this land is filled so many senseless souls? I am not even talking about the shooter(s).

January 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. here is a full article

Back to HomePage
    Updated: 3:57 PM Jan 5, 2011

Millard South Shooting: Administrators Wounded, Suspect Dead
    Suspect found dead of self-inflicted gunshot wound
    Live Coverage
    Posted: 1:05 PM Jan 5, 2011
    Reporter: WOWT
    Email Address: sixonline@wowt.com

--------------------------–
    Students Dismissed
    Interview With Student
    Church Staging Area
    School Shooting Scene Eyewitness Account
    Vehicle Investigation
    Suspect Vehicle Found

Story 45 Comments Font Size: Two administrators were shot at Millard South High School Wednesday afternoon by a student later found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Principal Dr. Curtis Case is in stable condition and assistant principal Dr. Vicki Kaspar is in critical condition. The shooter was 17-year-old Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha police detective.

Police later located the red Honda they were looking for in a parking lot north of 147th and F. Butler was found dead inside the vehicle.

Butler was a senior transfer student from Lincoln Southwest High School. He started at Millard South in November. Sources tell Channel 6 News he was suspended Wednesday morning. He allegedly had torn up the football field with his car. It's not clear if that was the reason for the suspension or if it was done after the suspension.

Channel 6 News has obtained what sources describe as a suicide note allegedly posted by Butler on a social media Web site.

“Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry but Omaha changed me and the school I now attend is even worse. You're going to hear about the evil I did, but that school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I greatly affected the lives of the families ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye.”

Police were called to the school at 149th and Q streets around 12:50 p.m. to investigate the report of multiple shots being fired. All Millard district schools were in lockdown as a precaution.

Millard South students were dismissed one class at a time starting around 2:40 p.m. and directed to Divine Shepherd Lutheran Church at 15005 Q Street where parents should pick them up. Wednesday was the first day of classes following the winter break.

Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle is monitoring the shooting at Millard South High School and is in contact with Police Chief Alex Hayes. The mayor released the following statement:

“Our immediate concern is about the safety of the students and teachers at the school. “It is our hope that citizens in the area will cooperate with the Omaha Police Department as they work to control activity at the scene and in the surrounding area.”

Douglas County Board Chair Mary Ann Borgeson released the following statement:

“Today our Douglas County community has witnessed another unspeakable tragedy in the shooting at Millard South High School. All of us in county government share the concerns of those families who are in any way associated with Millard South High School and we are praying for safe return home of your loved ones. While we are still awaiting many of the details, please know that we stand by ready to help our friends in local law enforcement and emergency response in any way we can. It is vitally important that children in our community are able to attend school safely and we will continue to work with those in education and law enforcement to see to it that every effort is made to prevent such incidents in the future.”

Channel 6 News is at the scene and will have further details as they become available.

--------------------------–

January 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mr. Harrison

I wonder how many school shootings are the result of copy cats inspired by every local school shooting getting national press. It would be interesting if we could tally all the dead and disabled students caused indirectly by national news services reporting local news stories like this.

January 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RS

Woah....a bit close to home for me. My son is a teacher at the Middle School (Millard MS) right down the street. He texted me they were in lockdown.
    He said kids were laughing....hmmmmm.

January 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

They were probably laughing because they had no idea what was going on.

We were told nothing. When you're sitting in a dark classroom for close to 4 hours, of course there is going to be someone trying to lighten the mood.

January 6, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. BSecure

Maybe it's time to think about metal detectors for High Schools?

January 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Maybe the TSA can sell their old ones since they are going to the full body scanners and full-body massages. Wait, better idea yet! We can federalize all school security, and put it under the TSA! Full body scans and pat downs for all!!!

January 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. joe

See thats why this country sux where was the security? Eating corn then again it was nebraska roflmao is that even a state iiiinnnnbreeeeders

January 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusaSeign

Joe smells funny. Someone told me.

January 5, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • SimplyStunned

On behalf of all Nebraskans: Joe, you are a moron. And I don't even live there!

January 5, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alex

Reading the user comments on CNN is a complete waste of time. Most people cannot spell correctly, make coherent arguments, or write anything worth me reading.

January 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • SlimJim

Agreed!

January 5, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. crazzzyworldwelivein

All ou you need to get a life! Me too! I read your schmuk (did I spelt, spell,, spelled it right) just to get a good laugh and boy you are all sick people!

January 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. stepmom

http://twitpic.com/3nbwzl/full – – suicide note from a very sad, lost boy. keep all the race, religion and privilege talk in check and focus on the sad events of today: a 17 year old is dead by his own hand undoubtedly with his father's gun, 2 principals were shot, one in critical condition, and an entire district of children and their parents are terrified. today's events remind many omahans of the deadly, awful shooting at von maur 3 years ago. let's keep it in perspective please

January 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

The kid likely couldn't deal with the bullying and elitism that is dominant in Omaha's suburbs. I don't condone it, but I can see West Omaha having more and more incidents where these things happen, because, quite frankly, the people are rude, disrespectful and feel like they own the city.

I lived in Millard for a over a year, and rarely spoke to my neighbors. Once I moved back to Midtown, I regained some faith in humanity.

January 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

@ David

He was angry because he had just gotten suspended for doing donuts on the football field, NOT because he was bullied.

January 6, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. bambam

He was just a kid in school how sad I'd really be hurt if that was my kid(I can only imagine) how the kids parents felt
    black or white
    Its such a sad story the principal did something to the kid or he would not have done this

January 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sad in omaha

Of course the principal 'did' something to him. He SUSPENDED him for breaking the rules!! So instead of facing the repurcussions of his actions (I 'm guessing he didn't want/was too scared to deal with the parental backlash), he decided to shoot two people and end his life. We need to do a better job of teaching our children to deal with conflict and value human life.

January 5, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • what?

I missed the part in the article where it said the principal was guilty of anything, besides the kid's pathetic note on his facebook that "waived" all repsonsibility of his actions.

January 5, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Concerned

Going over news topics today and other days, I can't help noticing how many people kill people. Never mind what their religion, race, background, age, upbringing, education or issues are. What is happening to people, this country, our world. Where have our values, morals and respect for eachothers lives gone. I find it all saddening and worrying. We all live on the same planet, and look at the same sun, moon and stars. Hopefully some day soon we'll all get along and make this world we live in a better place. Remember people... such an effort starts with yourself and being willing to understand and respect eachother and the lives you've been given.

January 5, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jdoe

Whenever there's a tragic event such as this, it's important to make sure you get your spelling straight.

January 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |