Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. satan

the root of all evil are humans we will never get along

January 5, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Allie

I go to Millard North High School. This scared me so much. I don't see Millard as the type of district to have shootings. I know it can happen any where but the realization is scary. My prayers are with Dr. Case and Dr. Kasper I hope they get well soon.

January 5, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim

This maybe considered a somewhat civilized country, but it sure is filled with a very large number of uncivilized, ignorant and callous morons. You reap what you sow.

January 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Omahan

I live in Omaha, was raised in the northside, went to OPS and now live in NW Omaha. What people need to realize not only my city but our country is that no city is safe. No school or public area, not even your home. What this country needs to hear about our city though is that yes, it happened in a middle-upper class suburb of Omaha....where it is known that things like this don't happen. Why? Because its suppose to happen in north omaha where the minorities are.....that's where the guns are, or what people say. This kid had issues coming into Omaha and whatever the case may be let's pray for everyone involved. Race doesn't matter nor does class but hopefully this can be a wakeup call for my Millard neighbors....violence is everywhere you can drive yourself out of Omaha as far as you can but don't put yourself in a area or class and think violence can't happen to you....suburbs are great areas for people to act stupid and get away with things.

January 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. truthinrock

If there is an afterlife, this poor idiot must be thinking he should have been a better shot.

January 5, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jujubeans

good thing the shooter's dead. hope the victims recover.

January 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. James

AHhh, GEee DAD>>>> I was just trying to folow in your foot steps. Didnt no thaat was wrong DAD.

January 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tommy TT

This boy thinks Obama ruined his life. Sad. But when the Republicans spread lies about Obama and the Democrats in order to win votes, there is a price. Gullible people believe them, and fragile people like this boy are destroyed by politicians' imaginary gremlins. All this dishonest campaigning about socialism and death panels has a price, and this boy (and his victims) paid it.

January 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • sad in omaha

uhh...what?? If you are referring to his suicide post on facebook...he said OMAHA ruined his life. If you're seriously inserting your own political agenda into this, you're just an idiot. Oh wait, nevermind. I think you're an idiot either way.

January 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tom Upah

Saw police going down the interste towards west omaha. Turned on phone app to listen to police. Excellent response time and instant setup of remote emergency station setup. Half mile from my house.

January 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jerk

Has it occurred to anyone that these school shooting things have suspects that end up killing themselves? If that was the plan, why couldn't they have just shot themselves before without killing anyone else? Is suicide only meaningful if they kill someone else along with themselves? Sure, I feel sorry for the depressed. I do not feel sorry for killers. The "I'm so sorry!" note doesn't cut it. At the very least, he could have written a check for the funeral services of the other two.

January 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ernie

School shootings have only become common since God was kicked out of the schools. The first 200 years of our nations history, nearly all schools had a prayer along with the pledge of aligence. Does it not seem "strange" that the less we respect God, the more 'bad things happen in our schools'? These are facts. Why would the ideal of a God upset you? Is it possible that deep down you "know" God Is, but just doon't want to admit that you could be wrong? May God bring comfort to all involved in another sad event, including the family of the shooter.

January 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. miklan

jeez even in a suicide note people cant take responsibility for what they do.

January 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. hbjon

My bootie hole does a better job at reporting than Fox. (is that slander)?

January 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. phil

These domestic terrorists are really getting out of hand. It's like the Columbine kids are breeding like rabbit's or somethin. It's really getting out of control. Too many innocent lives are being cut short right here at home.

January 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shawn

He was changed by Omaha?? Oh well, he was found dead in his car. I love a happy ending.

January 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |