Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. Eric

There were two people shot today at a school and one child killed himself and you idiots are complaining about spelling. Let's try to keep our eye on the ball people, this could be any one of our kids these days.

January 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tricky13

Coming from a child raised where my decisions were mine at the age of 16 i was on the streets, I had a HORRIBLE LIFE and I made the best of it, alot of this does come from the way a child was brought up, sheltered, not knowing what is really out there, however, alot of this is on the child as well. His parents did not make him pull that trigger, or they did not wake him up today and say hey i think it's a good idea that you go shoot people. People wake up!!! Everyone makes their own decisions, and in this case a senior in High School is quite capable of making right and wrong decisions. NO ONE pushes us unless we let them. My condolences to the families of this tragedy, this is a time to come together, not point fingers at other people.

January 5, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Collysto

I like how people are critiquing people's spelling. Who honestly cares? A boy ended his own life after trying to kill others.. Isn't that enough for you people? But no you have to one up people in the comments to feel better about yourselves. Get over it.

January 5, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kim

I went to school to get a education I got my diploma and went on with my life. I dont know what those people are teaching at those schools but I went to learn. The children that continue to enact these violent crimes must of lost the point or reason why they are attending a school. It is to learn and then move on to the next step in life. Whether thats college or the workforce we are only in school a short time in our lifes why are schools being turned into killing grounds? I feel sorry for the student who know that there goals and objective are to recieve a education an to keep going forward with there lives.

January 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. phil

So it's bad enough people complain about spelling, now we have to listen to people who complain about people who complain about spelling. And here I am complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining about spelling! As domestic terrorist's kill our kids no less. How rude.

January 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Name*ernie chambers

I hates ta see stuff like this. But I Gots ta say that these kids are crazy, hisdad is a detective on the Omaha police dept.

January 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LiberateUs

At a Public school, too. Imagine that.

January 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jerk2

You are represented to the outside world by your actions and that's how you'll be remembered. No one put a gun to your head and told you to shoot people, however guilty they may be. Only you did, Butler.

January 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. doedizzle

womp womp womp womp..

January 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. doedizzle

the dad was a detective and couldn't see this *@#! coming?? THE WORLDS GONE MAD I TELL YA

January 5, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LMK

My heart aches for everyone, including the young man who thought he was out of options. I wish that we could take better care of our children when they show signs of needing our help. This young man needed help and couldn't get it.

January 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. enricorosan

In Canada we don't have problems with guns because of strict gun control. The only people who need them are law enforcement officers. Wake up America ! Get rid of your guns and you will have much lower crime rates like in Canada.

January 5, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John Can Spell

For you 'crack' smokers. It's perfectly legitimate to use the word "Spell" as in "You spell MIllard wrong" when one is referring in the Present tense, to the article they are currently reading/referring to. Anyone who can't see this is obviously a result of the publik (sic) skool (sic) system. Some people are truly worthless and like to let everyone else know this fact. Sounds like Obama supporters. LOL. SMFs.

January 5, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. phil

@enrico...true. But Canada supplied US with asbestos for decades. So let's just call it even.

January 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • enricorosan

hmmmm ! I didn't know about that one.

January 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John Can Spell

OK CNN, if the 'post' is 'duplicate' then where is the first one?

January 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |