Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. omahateachersrock

why is so much attention focused on this screwed up kid? what about the victims?

January 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John Can Spell

It's perfectly legitimate to use the word "Spell" as in "You spell MIllard wrong" when one is referring in the Present tense, to the article they are currently reading/referring to. Anyone who can't see this is obviously a result of the publik (sic) skool (sic) system. Some people are truly worthless and like to let everyone else know this fact. Sounds like Obama supporters. LOL. SMFs.

January 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. phil

And as if guns are the problem. One lady ate rat poison to murder her unborn child, but the kid pulled through and was born. He died two days later. Pulling all the guns and rat poisons off the shelf isn't the answer. What will you do if they start using snow shovels?

January 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alert U

White teenage males are beginning to 'Columbine' again. Columbin’ing, rampant in the 90's, came to a halt soon after Sept 11 2001 aka 911. Now it seems to be on the rise again.

January 5, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John Can Spell

January 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jennifer

this comment is for the ass hole that call his self johndoe. its ass holes like u that give every one a bad name. crawl bck n the hole u crawled out of and stop letting the world know that you take the prize for being the ass hole of the year

January 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. John Can't Type

'their' in previous post should have been 'there'. So I can't type.

January 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TJTHEDJ

This a very tragic and terrible incident and yet we have people on here making comments and corrections about peoples spelling and grammar mistakes if this is what a human life is worth to you people it is no wonder that it is becoming a national past time in the USA to shoot and kill students and teachers at their schools. The Americans have audacity to go to other countries and kill their citizens and claim that it is in the best interest of those that they are trying to protect. Why not start worrying about protecting your own children and citizens first and foremost

January 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JayB

LoL Before correcting someone's "English" one should research what you are "correcting" to prevent looking like an idiot. Spelled and spelt are both perfectly acceptable.

January 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Can't Type

@JayB, Sorry dude. You are 100% incorrect. You 'protest' too much. Are you going to try and argue that to say "You 'protested' too much is just as correct? You are completely without an 'edumacation'. There is "Correct" and there is "Accepted". 100% difference, and not a 'semantic' difference. Hope you enjoy those 'taxes' you're paying to feed this same crapola to the masses today.

January 5, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Millard South graduate, 2003

I graduated from MSHS under a different principal, but Vicki Kaspar was there as one of the vice principals at the time. She was always regarded as a kind lady, and I don't remember any fellow students ever having any serious issues with her. That definitely made this news all the more shocking.

May she and Principal Case make it through this safely.

January 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. what?

Is there seriously an argument about spelling on the comment board of this article, when you people could be spending time... Oh, I don't know, sending condolences to the family, sharing your thoughts on what happened, or acting like adults?
    ANYWAY -

I live near the area where this happened, and though I've never met the shooter, I've heard from many that have that he never seemed like one who would do this. It's incredible how the mind works. One minute he's this great kid, and the next he's shooting up his high school. It's sad that someone's thoughts can become so skewed that they honestly believe hurting innocent people can resolve anything. My thoughts go out to his family as well as the two victims.

As a young adult, I'm very, very saddened by the way you all are conducting yourselves in this situation.

January 5, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • jcReliever

So, what exactly DO the people who decide to commit murder look like ?? Since you are apparently are well versed in distinguishing the appearance of those who do not look like killers, please enlighten us.

January 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • what?

Sweetheart, I'm loving the fact that you're taking that whole paragraph way out into left field. Juuuust pointing out how no one really knows who's going to do what. Comment boards are impossible. My two cents are in. Bye. Happy trolling.

January 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Face It

Typical of someone on prescription anti-depressant medication, though in most cases the drug industry succeeds in suppressing this important information . Some people on these drugs learn to not really care about anything, so you can't tell what they are thinking. For some, they are happy not caring, for others, they end up not caring about living, or the life of anyone else. These medications should be outlawed.

January 5, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • ihateguns

Maybe society shall now see a reason to prohibit guns and reverse their policies about gun ownership, which shall then mean getting hold of a gun illegally shall be a lot more expensive thereby reducing gun related crimes as most Americans are more or less getting bankrupt.

January 5, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mollyd

Where did he get the gun??????? People shoot people........with guns........which are TOO easy to get in our country.

January 6, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • MoreGuns

blaming this on guns is ridiculous. There were plenty of murders before the invention of gun powder, and my more murder/suicides after the invention of anti-depressants. As long as a given weapon exists, it would behoove you to make sure you have one so you don't become the victim of those that do. This is why everywhere that enacts a gun control law the crime goes up, and when repealed it goes down. Would be the same with swords, knives, kung-fu skills. There will always be a percentage of people that lose it, and they'll use whatever weapon they can get their hands on. My business was broken into 3 times, the last time my wife was there, and called 9/11, and hid. The cops showed up a VERY speedy six minutes later, but the guy had been gone for 3 minutes. She could see him running around looking for her. We got lucky. The police will not protect you, but they'll file a nice report after the fact.

January 6, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
    • JamBit

~@what?~
      Agreed, Adults acting like a child. The sorrow, this report displays. My respects to the family.

For all of you in school or teaching school or a parent of a child going to school. OPEN YOUR EYES! this can be prevented most of the time. Social isolation and deprestion in alot of cases cause this. If sombody you know is in this position or another hostle position in school talk to them. Thats all it takes. Let them know there not alone!

January 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denise

There are such fools out there ... What I do know is that – this could have been anyone's town and school that this happened in and that after reading the story that the boy had some serious things going on. Lets all look at anyone of these people that this happened to including the shooter could have been our own family. What would you say if you were the family that it affected?

January 21, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Kristina

I think that is so sad. Sometimes students at high schools are going through a lot in there lives and don't know how to deal with, so they blow up and take it out on everybody around them. They don't have the right to go off and kill innocent people, just because they are are hurting deeply inside. They need to find someone to talk to and help them through their problems. Killing is so not the answer to their problems and it can't help them.

January 26, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. hornman4u

I went to a shooting once & a spelling bee broke out. Sheesh.

January 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Calm Down

Why immediately blame religion? Also, why are we arguing about how we view it in this article? I did not here any mention of Jesus in the article. I feel somewhat sorry for the attacker, this was entirely his fault. He should have gone to help about what was troubling him rather than reacting in such a violent manner. No religion brought him to this.

January 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Mitchell

Everything has to be blamed on something, certainly we don't expect accountabilty! Sheeeesh! My immediate reaction was "damn, this is the child of a police officer, did his daddy not teach him gun safety" Well that was a dumb thought! Society is broken, and this young man found his breaking point. He wrote a note, and accepted responsibility for what he was getting ready to do. Thats more than most chicken s*** superfreaks! My sincere condolences to all involved, including this young mans family~

January 5, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Millard North High School, Freshman

I'm really disappointed in some of the comments i have skimmed through.. it's terrible that you all are fighting over spelling and things that have nothing to do with the topic of the shooting at Millard South High School. being in the same district, my school was too put in a lock down for about 2 hours. We were put in the lock down and didn't even know what was happening, for all we knew the shooting could have been in my very school, that's really scary to not know if there is an armed person in your building. After figuring out that it was certainly at south i became worried for the friends and family i have over there, and your all worried about spelling and grammar?? that is truly pathetic.

January 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cuadrose

Great post!

January 5, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • News Watcher

Thank you for posting! I was blessed to have graduated from Millard North with Dr. Curtis Case as Assistant Principal. I would have to agree that the focus should be on the families, friends, school, district, and entire city of Omaha as they once again deal with such horrible news of another shooting. My thoughts and prayers will be with everyone involved.

January 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fellow MNHS Student

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand how anyone can focus on grammar, of all things, when the subject of the article is of a serious and extremely delicate nature. This isn't something to joke about, nor is this the appropriate to pull out our red pens and correct anything. The only thing wrong is what he did, not what he wrote. Two families lost loved ones in this tragedy, and it was a day full of turmoil for many others. Why can't we all just respect that?

January 5, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

I'm really happy to see there are people like you and the other MN commenter that replied to you.

On my Facebook wall, there is a ridiculous amount of MN and MW kids basically laughing at this situation. They say that we're the ghettto school, and we deserve this. It's sickening.

January 6, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Millard North High School, Freshman

I have seen some of those posts to its terrible how they are thinking its all fun and games. But the majority of the school doesn't think of it that way, thank goodness, over here we are taking it just as hard and are all a little bit shaken up since a lot of people do have friends and family that attend MS just like me. We may act like enemies with all the sports event but when it really come down to it we are one big Millard family and we will be with you though thick and thin. We are hear to support each other when events like this happen.

January 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Henry Miller

Tends to make you wonder what was so awful about Millard South High School...

January 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • BB

Nothing is wrong with the school. Its a typical school. Robert transferred there in Nov of his Senior year from Lincoln, NE. How could a school he was at for a little over a month (Thanksgiving & Christmas breaks excluded) be to blame for such an act?

January 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laurel

It's a great suburban school in a great school district, excellent test scores, etc. I graduated from the high school in 2003 and there was never any violence I can recall beyond a couple of kids scuffling in the parking lot (quickly broken up). Millard is a wonderful neighborhood, too, where my family still lives and where I spent the holidays this year. I hope you realize that this kind of tragedy could hit any neighborhood school.

January 5, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wendy

Nothing is wrong with the school I am sure....what he did was because of what was going on inside of him..no one else is to blame.

January 5, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Face It

Really? Did you post that?

January 5, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Wendy

It might have been the people at that school

January 6, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

Robert decided to do this because he had just gotten suspended for doing donuts on the football field, NOT because he was bullied.

If it was the students at the school, don't you think he would have went after them instead of the Vice Principal and Principal? Honestly, we were EXTREMELY lucky he didn't stay and cause more harm. I was just leaving lunch when all of the chaos happened, and there was still a lot of people in the lunchroom. He could have done a considerable amount of more damage, but he chose not to, and I count my blessings for that.

January 6, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |