Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. Jim

More guns! More guns. If we only had more guns, we'd all be safer.

January 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle Suing

yes guns are to blame for the shootings... they loaded themselves and pulled the triggers all by themselves!!

January 5, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • pronco

Maybe if the principal had had his own gun he could have defended himself. That is, of course, before the gun sprinkled its fairy dust on him and turned him into a wild-eyed killer with his own axe to grind. Alas

January 5, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ihateguns

to Kyle Suing, yes the easy availability of guns is the cause of the shootings, think not like a dumb fool.

January 5, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • mudbone9

Yes. Let’s let all the teachers and school kids carry guns in school. That would make everyone safer....NOT! Where would you draw the line on carrying guns? Do you trust the government to make the rules? I notice how they go out of their way to pass laws that relax gun controls but won't allow citizens to carry guns into government buildings. They are hypocrites.

January 6, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat

It's already illegal to have guns at school. He already broke the law. Another law will not fix it, thank you. People who do not obey the law– do not obey the law. That's why they're criminals. He could have stabbed her, brought in a homemade pipe bomb and put it in her desk drawer, or run her over in the parking lot with a car. How about we try fixing the real problems and stop obsessing with guns that are enjoyed by millions of good people for target shooting, hunting for food, and home defense from people who will get weapons no matter what the law says.

January 6, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Extra Medium

Good point Jim. Maybe if we banned the sale of handguns to minors, the shooting would've been prevented. Oh wait, you already have to be 21 to buy a handgun. So that must mean that gun laws don't really stop people from getting guns, but just slows them down a little....

January 6, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Concerned Omaha Resident

Although it is terrible to hear that 2 people were shot and the shooter killed himself, I am also greatful to hear that everyone else was unharmed. I know someone who works at Millard South and it worried me all day that they could have been shot. It is so sad that a bad experience at school can result in such a terrible act violence.

I can't imagine what friends and family of both the student and the principals are going through. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

January 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom of MSHS student

Thank you for all of the people that have chose to support the community of Omaha/Millard. It is focusing on the giving and caring nature of Nebraska that makes this tragedy somewhat tolerable. All of our community cares for one another and we ignore those that choose to make divisive lines. It was a terrible traumatic day for families. Never in a thousand years would I have seen me in that spot on that day. These teenagers are confused enough in today's world. So please take time to listen and truly be concerned. It is not a time to blame but to take that energy and move forward with positive effect, not negative. My heart truly hurts today in thinking what has happened and what may have happened. Again, take this and do something positive, not negative please.

January 6, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Karin

I wish I could jump into a time machine and go back to the 60's,,,We never ever would of believed that a shooter would go into a school and start shooting..Our World is going nuts..Is it the violent games young people play..Is it the violent movies that children watch? What is it that is making our young people so angry? My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone

January 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cuadrose

Read Aldous Huxley's "A Brave New World" and Orwell's '1984."

January 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

The world has always been like this. The sixties had its fair share of atrocities. Not to mention some very high profile school shootings. Google Charles Whitman.

January 5, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

Yes, in the sixties the SSRI medications had not been discovered and kids were not medicated and drugged out of their minds. I will bet you anything that this kid was taking some kind of mood altering drug. There is an article that shows that most of these tragic mass shootings esp with teenagers involve some kind of psychotropic drug. You can say well the kid was disturbed in the first place if he needed drugs. Well in the sixties there were many disturbed kids but they were not running around killing people as often.

January 6, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Omahan

The assistant principal has just died from this shooting. So very sad and tragic. Her son is also a teacher at Millard South. My prayers to all the families involved.

January 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ben

Millard Public Schools confirms Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar has died. Truly a sad day for Millard South faculty and students.

January 5, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ichi

He was "ronounced" dead? Well, if you say so, CNN...

January 5, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MillardSouthGrad

Just read that the Vice Principle died of her injuries.. I had Chemistry with her son, and I pray for their family tonight.

January 5, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Steven Day

What I find amazing is that ignorant people have the idea that if God exists, that would mean he controls everything. That would only be true if he were evil. Limiting himself to love only means he must allow us to be free and choose for ourselves. The facts support this hypothesis... I choose to believe God is love and has access to my affairs when I invite him in, but he cannot control, that would be against the law of love...his law...

January 5, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dale

um no, christianity claims that the god is all powerful and knows and controls everything. So this would logically be all his doing. People like you are too brainwashed and infected by religion to understand simple logic that would indicate that your life philosophy is a load of hogwash. If someone does not die in some tragedy like this its a 'miracle' but you so called christians always warp everything in a vain attempt to prove your nutty faith is justified and ignore the obvious that no useful god would cause this sh1t to happen. Get over it and get out of the middle ages.

January 5, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan the Red

@Dale, please buy a good book on logic. Steven is right; Christianity teaches humans have free will; no need to blame God for human inhumanity. Could God "override" this kid's decisions? Sure, but, that's called a miracle, and most of you devout materialists don't want anything like that going on, now do you?

January 5, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • ihateguns

God doesn't do anything, why would he want to hurt his own children, why would he create earthquakes, world wars..., all this is human made, and scientific+ geographic.

January 5, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • redplanet

God is a myth. Let's leave myths and delusions out of the conversation where most of us want to live in reality, deal with what is and not some invisible cloud buddy.

January 6, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. schaark

I have a 2 and 4 year old. I have spent my life studying mental and drug disorders. This is a problem with no solution. I am afraid for my kids. At some point we need to hold the schools accountable for this violence. My 4 year old has two teachers for 8 students and still there is bullying. Be a good teacher or go do something else.

January 5, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Hold the schools accountable? I worked for the national non-profit group, Safe and Drug Free Schools, and feel that parents of children that bully should be held responsible. Schools shouldn't have to be "accountable" for lack of parenting.

January 5, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Devastated Nebraska Teacher

As a teacher, I am appalled at your comments. Teachers work incredibly hard every day to provide students with knowledge and a safe environment to receive this knowledge. How dare you place the guilt on the shoulders of those teachers. Two adults got shot and one of them died serving kids. Mrs. Vicki Kaspar's son works at that school and had to witness an event that killed his mother, again, while serving kids. You should be ashamed of yourself. At what point do we hold parents accountable for the way they raise their children? At what point do we question why teachers have a closer connection to their students than the parents do to their kids? Raise your children. Raise them to be kind, love one another, and be respectful. If you can do that, then I will get the opportunity to work less on social skills and more on the knowledge that is required to raise the test scores that you parents want to complain about as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families, students, and staff. Staff, thank you for all you do.

January 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • wow

Why is it always the teacher's fault? Where are the parents and where is the parenting?? Morals and manners start in the home at a very young age, way before children get to school! These days it is very difficult for schools to discipline because most parents think their child can do no wrong and blame everyone else while never hold their child accountable. Further, if parents were parenting instead of trying to keep up with the Jones' or letting their kids be latchkey kids, most of these incidents would not have happened! It takes a village, not a school, to raise children!!
      My prayers go out to everyone touched by this horrible event.......

January 5, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • schaark

Parents should be held accoutable too. I am not saying there is an answer to the problem. I don't know what should be done. Please enlighten me. I just want my kids to learn stuff without dying or commiting suicide because of a bully. I am a new parent and afraid of the entire system It is Broken.

January 5, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • schaark

Kick the bullys out of school. Videotape interaction. The child should be held accountable for the bullying. Whatever works. But there is a clear problem with bullying in schools and it needs to be addressed.

January 5, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Face It

Your four year old is dealing with bullying at school? Are you talking about day care? What an ignorant post. 😦

If you are looking for blame, talk to the shooter's doctor and find out what anti-depressant drugs they had the boy on. Almost ALWAYS the culprit in these school shootings.

January 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ninaleecherryambition

Homeschool your kids. That solves that problem. I may do the same if/when I have kids...

January 5, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • schaark

Look back to your own school years. How many good teachers did you have? You teachers are the good ones and should be commended for that. But you are not in the majority and to think that is to say you are is denial. I have been a teacher for half of my life and have tried like you to provide a safe place for people to learn. It is a tough selfless business and all teachers should be put on a pedistool. But the violence has got to stop and kids need real consiquences for their actions.

January 5, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

Robert decided to do this because he had just gotten suspended for doing donuts on the football field, NOT because he was bullied.

January 6, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kate

What a sad and tragic day. My sympathy to all whose lives have forever been changed by this event. May God be with you all.

January 5, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chaylamuhammad12

this day has been horrible.all i remember when not even like 2weeks ago i was hanging out with Robert Michaela and Lindsey. Michaela is so sad when she heard about it the kid had a smile on his face every time i say him walking down the hallway i member talking to him right before winter break and him saying we need to chill again. the kid was so happy i don't know what why everything went down the way it did. and also i hope Dr.Case and Dr.Casper are going to be okay.
    _Chayla Muhammad

January 5, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Abbey

Thoughts and Prayers go out to Vice Principal Dr. Kaspar as she just passed away. Regardless of what people say my high school, Millard South is a great school and the students are great. This is such a tragedy and did not need to happen. Thoughts and prayers are with all students and families of Dr Case, Dr Kaspar, and the gunmans family.

January 5, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jonathan

they shou,d call fbi to see if he got radical books like the koran or sompthing it could be some terrerest what beter way to start with the scools.

January 5, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • ihateguns

I see you are very poorly educated and brainwashed into hatred, I feel very sorry for you, and I'm not even a Muslim.

January 6, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. izzy

I really can't figure out you people are so worried about spelling when 2 people have been shot.I hope all the students and their famlies are well

January 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. RealNews

RealNews is now investigavting the claim that the gunman was not working alone. Further information will be available as soon as we can.

January 5, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |