Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting
Millard South High School Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were shot Wednesday.
January 5th, 2011

Police: Student, assistant principal dead after Nebraska school shooting

[Updated at 10:18 p.m. ET] Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar was pronounced dead at Creighton University hospital Wednesday night, Omaha Police Department Officer Michael Pecha said.

[Updated at 6:20 p.m. ET] An Omaha, Nebraska, high school senior shot his principal and an assistant principal Wednesday before police found him dead in his car, Omaha Police Chief Alex Hayes said.

Principal Curtis Case and Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar were wounded in the shooting at Millard South High School, Hayes said.

Case is in serious but stable condition, and Kaspar is in critical condition, he said. Both are being treated at Creighton University Medical Center.

Hayes identified the suspect as Robert Butler Jr., the son of an Omaha Police Department detective.

CNN affiliate KETV reported that Butler posted the following statement on his Facebook page on Wednesday:

"Everybody that used to know me, I'm sorry, but Omaha changed me and (expletive) me up and the school I now attend is even worse. You are going to hear about the evil (expletive) I did, but that (expletive) school drove me to this. I want you guys to remember me for who I was before this. I know I greatly affected the lives of the families I ruined, but I'm sorry. Goodbye."

Lincoln Public Schools officials said Butler was enrolled at Lincoln Southwest High School last fall, but transferred to Millard South recently, KETV reported.

All the schools in the Millard School District were placed on lockdown after the shootings, but the lockdown has been ended, Omaha police spokesman Jacob Bettin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Nebraska
  1. Sarah

Thursday was to be Vicki Kaspar's birthday.

January 5, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Maintainin

This is the 5th individual I've read on CNN today that exercised his 2nd amendment rights to bear arms! Awesome!

January 5, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

His dad was a cop. Wonder where he got that gun? Hmmmm. I guess you missed that part.

February 3, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anonymous

I'm almost positive that someone else had a part in this. I saw someone I didn't recognize in the hall dressed in a Grey/black DC hoodie and black dickies, and the weird part, sunglasses. like those circle ones john lennon wore. as soon as he noticed me looking at him curiously, as I wastrying to recognize, he stopped loitering and started walking the oposite direction and seemed a bit nervous. after that I don't know were he went. but someone could have been in on it and chickened out. robert could have not even known that whoever else didn't do what they may have been out to do. pure speculation, but it was and odd occurance on an odd day to say the least.

January 5, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

What time did you see this person and where?

January 6, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • alexis

You saw someone you didn't recognize? You do realize the amount of kids in that school right? I graduated last year and still only knew about half the school. Pretty much saw someone new everyday all four years. And as for the sunglasses.... yes, a little odd, but if there aren't teachers around why not wear what we want, ya know?

January 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • alexis

graduated last year from Millard South that is. and they could have been acting nervous for various reasons. my guess is since it was lunch time when this happened and they were wearing sunglasses and nervous... they probably just got done smoking a bowl a couple blocks away, ran out of eye drops, and may have smelled like weed. so they put on some sunglasses for red eyes and didn't walk by you bc he was paranoid about the smell.

January 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Al

may the departed rest in peace, in the name of Jesus, the son of GOD.....well Jesus says thou shalt not kill....see whywe should repent....Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand

January 5, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Zenomorph

What did the students do to this kid to make him go nuts? What action did the staff take when warning signs were seen?

January 5, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • tex

He has only been with the School since Nov

January 5, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Face It

He was obviously on anti-depressants. All bets are off when the human mind is subjected to this poison.

January 5, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

He transferred here in October.

He was actually kind of a class clown and he was always smiling.

He was angry because he had just gotten suspended for doing donuts on the football field and all of his senior privileges were taken away.

January 6, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. tex

I believe that situations like this are always so tragic. The family's of the two shooting victims are in need of encouragement right now. with one principal dead and the other still in critical condition.We just need to keep those families in our mind

January 5, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shannon

Most of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Dr. Kaspar DIED and most of you are worried about someone misplacing a "t". You need to rethink your values. Millard west (my school) is located on the same street as Millard south and today we were placed in lockdown for like 2 hours thinking that the shooter was in our school. We were terrified and you people are talking about is spelling. Shame on you. How would you feel if this is something that happened at your school?

January 5, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • MNHS Student

Thank you, Shannon. Everyone in our area was hit hard today, and I wish fewer people would make light of such a sad and unfortunate event. Two lives were lost today in a senseless tragedy. Families lost loved ones. It's just incredibly sad.

January 6, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave from Omaha

Funny thing: OPS installs metal detectors, and it's the suburbs that end up needing them.

January 6, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

at Dave,

Yes, it has always worried me that our school doesn't have metal detectors. We have some in the library, but that obviously didn't help us much on Wednesday. I hope MS and other Millard schools take some really serious action.

January 6, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. jimmy23

Horrible stuff. Confuses me why certain shootings get lots of press and others get a paragraph on the back page of the newspaper. The VonMaur shooting was a huge deal too. But how many people get shot every year in North O without a national headline? Is it cause people think those who die in north O are drug dealers, gang members, and thugs? Or is it just expected there? I donno. Confuses me. It just seems off.

January 5, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debbie

Just so you all know, the assistant principle has died. Now joke about spelling.

January 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave from Omaha

Okay. Spelling is as serious as a heart attack (or school shooting).

January 6, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. sad day

It's a shame that this such shootings are now so common that it's not the major story of the week, or the day, or even one of the top two or three headlines. It's a small story someone half way down the list on the home page,between a story about a police chief being shot and one about Roseanne Barr. I remember growing up in the 70s and 80s, a school shooting (Lockerbie comes to mind – I grew up in the UK – but Columbine was similar in impact) took up all the news space for a week. So would a police shooting. Now both are all too regular.

January 5, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meandwhatarmy*

Hey, at least we're told right off the bat that Boehner didn't cry when he gave his first speech as House Speaker. Glad our priorities are straight. I'd hate to have to wade through stories like this to get to that important moment in American history.
      My sincere condolences to all involved and affected by this tragedy, and by those tragedies we never hear about in "North O."

January 6, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. phil

Youngsters can still feel. Their ability to feel has not been broken by decades of injesting toxic waste, both literally and figuratively. Youngsters feel there is no hope for their future. We who have been exposed to this toxic sludge for many years...our feelers are broken and confused. We turn to comfort foods and pharmaceuticals to "feel better", but really this behavior just keeps us from feeling, just as an aspirin keeps us from feeling a headache. Our children are desperatly crying out for help and are acting-out this plea because we won't listen. We won't secure their future because we can't, no matter how hard we try, and don't feel like explaining this to them. We even go so far as to tell these children something is wrong with them. Suicide is their last desperate cry, and even before this cry's last echo fades away, we seem glad to be rid of them. How sad.

January 5, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Robert

2nd amendment protecting people ?!? No wonder US leads the OECD countries in homicide rates

January 5, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Former Millard South Student (09)

It's sad to see everyone arguing about a simple mispelling. Many of you probably don't think much of this incident but it affects everybody in the Millard South community. It doesn't seem real until it happens close to home. I hope all of you send prayers our way for what happened and the terrible death of our innocent assistant principal. Focus your attention on praying rather than correcting grammar.

January 6, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff

wow

January 6, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. A parent too

Free will. When you look to blame schools and parents, just remember that. In most cases, neither the schools or parents "model" this behavior. Nobody MADE him do this. The young man made his own choices-chose to pick up the gun, chose to shoot people at whom he was angry, chose to shoot himself. Until people begin to take responsiblity for their own actions without placing the blame everywhere else, this will continue. Free will.
    My deepest sympathy to the educators and students involved.

January 6, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • ihateguns

He didn't make his own decisions, he was under a lot of anger, hatred, there must have been something terribly wrong in his which was vented out the way it was. What society needs is to be more caring and understanding, maybe its time somebody restrict the ownership and easy availability of guns, or may be "we should wait a little more for everything to get worse and after more people die before we take action".

I think this was one of the first few changes Obama had tried to make.

January 6, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |