Winning $355M lottery tickets sold in Idaho, Wash. state
January 5th, 2011

Winning $355M lottery tickets sold in Idaho, Wash. state

Two tickets matched all six numbers in Tuesday's Mega Millions drawing.

The owners of those tickets, purchased in Idaho and Washington, will split the estimated $355 million jackpot.

The winning numbers were 4, 8, 15, 25 and 47, with 42 being the Mega Ball number.

It also paid to be a fan of the TV show, "Lost." Four of the six numbers drawn in the Tuesday's Mega Millions lottery matched the numbers immortalized by the Lost character Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, who hit a $114 million jackpot off them - only to be haunted by the same numbers in later episodes.

If you played Hurley's numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42), you won $150, according to a payout table on the Mega Millions website, though the same table noted that fixed prizes such as the $150 one "may be paid on a pari-mutuel basis and (be) lower than" that amount.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Lotto • U.S.
  1. Name*Davd pedal

I'm from Washington and haven't checked my tickets yet, I wonder if I won?

January 5, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jasmine

Wow!!! Congratulations to the Winners!!! That is so awesome!!! Im soo excited for them...but now im ready to win my share when it's my turn! Whoo whooo!!! Lol...

January 5, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jasmine

mi name jasmine 2 thats a lot of $$$$$ i could probably buy 2 big mansions and go to hawaii like 15 times in 2 monthsHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

January 5, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sean Allman

I just think it's a disgrace that there is even that much money in a lottery drawing. I mean we read recently on CNN that 1 in 5 children in Afghanistan die from excessive cold. I think America needs to re evaluate our resources and how we are using them. The lottery is ok but the proceeds should go directly to charity for hunger, AIDS, homelessness, etc. I cannot believe that one person could accept this much money readily. When I was in high school, a classmate's parents won the lottery and they spent it on cars, bought a boardwalk, and ended up in bankruptcy.

January 5, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • NotALoser

I'm with you, dude. In the middle of what is being called "The Greatest Recession Since The Great Depression", I can't begin to comprehend the level of self-indulgence demonstrated by those who still have plenty of money. The gap between the very rich and the very poor is widening by the day, and the rich don't care. Apart from the occasional philanthropist, the majority of wealthy people are sickeningly selfish and greedy (just watch any episode of "Real Housewives" – one bubble-headed bimbo spent over $50,000 on her kid's birthday party and the kid was only turning 4). Thank GOD their day will come: "For the love of money is the root of all evil." It's the only thing that helps me sleep at night.

January 5, 2011 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
    • IronSight

Maybe those people in afganistan could I dunno, put down the hash pipe, get off their asses and help their own children out. This country is where it is today because our forefathers busted their asses to make it this way.

January 5, 2011 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • The person to disagree with.

I agree with IronSight. These people off in other countries. Can go deal with their own problems. All this garbage about helping people in need... There halfway around the world. Who cares? Maybe we should cut the cord and let them grow up now.

January 5, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • December

Your are so right! There should not be not one homeless human being or animal in the world - there is plenty of money to go round!

January 5, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • JL

What are you talking about???? if we were to do that it would not be a lottery. I say to all the other countries get you own lottery. Over the last 100 years here in America we have worked to hard to keep suppling other countries with billions of dollars every year from our tax dollars. Keep the money and enjoy.

January 5, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Adrian castillo

Congrats to tha winners..i played and i locked in tha numbers from my horoscope lucky numbers..i got 2 out of tha 6..maybe next time huh!

January 5, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. IDon

Lost is ghey!

January 5, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Farhibide

"Ghey" and about $150 richer than you!

January 5, 2011 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. shawn hodhdon

I'm so happy for the two winners I hope you have a happy life.

January 5, 2011 at 5:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. miki hk

I wish I will be the next winner!

January 5, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. john

life changing events, this is one of them and i cant wait till it happens to me!! hopefully it happens sooner than later so i can buy my parents a new one story home...... cograts to the winners, please be smart and seek financial guidance and get some sleep! (ya right, lol)

January 5, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. arthur king

that sucks the ppl that really need it never win jack but congrats to da winners

January 5, 2011 at 5:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • NotALoser

Say whuh? Where does it say in the article that the two ppl who did win didn't really need it?

January 5, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. ~B

Awesome!! Congrat's to the winners, what an awesome start to the New Year!

January 5, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. snowbird

So happy it was won.....I hope who ever won it, needed it and will also spread it and do some good!

January 5, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. rocconyc

Great some farmer wins

January 5, 2011 at 6:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jon

I thought gambling was illegal?

January 5, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Tariq Khan

I knew it was gonna be some crazy state in west with winning numbers. New York never gets to hit the Mega Millions. I bet both winners are in their 90s as well. Let me go to work people.

January 5, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • TC_in_CT

..Yup... both in their 90's ... with no living relatives ... each has 50 cats that will receive a million each (in a trust fund, of course) when they pass away.....

January 5, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • sfr

I agree. it is mostly the midwest and west that win. Very few from the northeast win. How is that possible? oh well, congrats to the winners.

January 5, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. Fasteddiep

why not a national 50-50 lotery to pay down the debt?

January 5, 2011 at 6:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • IDon

How about the corrupt government stops overspending and stealing our hard earned money!

January 5, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |