Winning $355M lottery tickets sold in Idaho, Wash. state
January 5th, 2011

Winning $355M lottery tickets sold in Idaho, Wash. state

Two tickets matched all six numbers in Tuesday's Mega Millions drawing.

The owners of those tickets, purchased in Idaho and Washington, will split the estimated $355 million jackpot.

The winning numbers were 4, 8, 15, 25 and 47, with 42 being the Mega Ball number.

It also paid to be a fan of the TV show, "Lost." Four of the six numbers drawn in the Tuesday's Mega Millions lottery matched the numbers immortalized by the Lost character Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, who hit a $114 million jackpot off them - only to be haunted by the same numbers in later episodes.

If you played Hurley's numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42), you won $150, according to a payout table on the Mega Millions website, though the same table noted that fixed prizes such as the $150 one "may be paid on a pari-mutuel basis and (be) lower than" that amount.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Lotto • U.S.
  1. blessings

congrads, I said in my prayer before I played.if someone can do more to help others.then let that person (s) won
    so I obviously think u will do great things for others and your self of course.god bless

January 5, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. NotALoser

I love the hype that goes with these announcements. There's no way the jackpot is an "estimated $355 million". That'd only be IF both winners took their prize as an annuity, and even then the IRS will take a huge chunk. But if they go for the lump sum, that immediately reduces their winnings by about half – and then the IRS will take a huge chunk. In reality, they're probably going to end up with only a quarter of that each ($88.75mil) – still a nice payday but nowhere near the figure being promoted.

January 5, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • sean findley

88 million. Those who select the lump sum payouts are morons. If anything, you continue to leave a reasonably frugal lifestyle and you throw the majority of it into a trustfund containing a progressive portfolio. Invest most of the dough into a cure for a devastating disease. Or, like Alfred Nobel, award a prize every year that is funded from the trust to the scientist who crafted the most significant medical advance!

January 5, 2011 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Susy

Taking the annuity is not a good idea unless you know for a fact you will mismanage your money. If the winner dies before they receive all of the annuity payments, the payments don't continue.

And who can guarantee that the lottery will be around and able to pay in 20 years? I wouldn't risk it.

January 5, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • EdR

Exactly! The taxes I understand. You make money, you pay taxes. Just the way it is. But the whole BS about the "winnings" is just a huge lie.... The actual winnings is what they would get for a lump sum payout. Anything else is a lie and false advertising. I don't know how they get away with it. Some industrious attorney should start a class action law suit against every lottery in the country.

January 5, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Marika

Wow what a blessings

January 5, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. Scott

It is what it is.

January 5, 2011 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rick

Jeez! Isnt that a bummer..They have to split it.

January 5, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. teaPARTYdemocrat

The one person living in Idaho won the lottery?

January 5, 2011 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. NOVEMBER

WHY NOT PAY OFF SOME OF THE NATIONAL DEBT?

January 5, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

Wouldn't their portion of the nat'l debt be about $45,000? What diff will that make?

January 5, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Yeah, because being a federal worker I shoudn't have to sacrafice pay increases that I rightfully deserve because of someone else's misuse of funds, i.e., B_sh. If they didn't do their job right, then why should I have to pay??????

January 5, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. bdubb

That was my money, i was supposed to win.....LOL

January 5, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Liger Woodz

FUUUUUUCCCCC........................KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

January 5, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

Exactly what I thought when I saw the winners were from different states than I.

January 5, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. Craig

Only states with lots of WHITE PEOPLE win these kind of Jackpots. Blacks and Hispancis should not even play the lottery.

January 5, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • IDon

You want even more handouts?!

January 5, 2011 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
    • IDON is the Man

IDON...
      That's classic. Good job my friend...Good Job!

January 5, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Bleye

If you look at the lotto web site, it was a black person who won the lotto in November of $54 million.

January 5, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. d

I am very happy that I won and I will spend the money wisely helping out a Charity and making smart investments all after I buy my new castles by the sea and ford f350.

January 5, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Russ

Been buying lottery tickets for two years. Won two dollars twice. It only takes once to win. Will keep trying anyway...

January 5, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. piakax

Congrats to the winners. People are saying pay off the national debt, when your money is taxed u have done your part.

January 5, 2011 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • phan

THE PEOPLE SAYING THAT ARE IDIOTS.

January 5, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. tony

BOOOOOOOOOOO to both of you! I hope you blow the money and go bankrupt! Neither of you deserve it!

January 5, 2011 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • December

Daaannng!

January 5, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. geo

For those that want a 50 50 for the national debt, why dont u try organizing it ? or maybe do a local one , im sure all will be eager to give half their money to the govt ! congrats to the winners,i hope its a pool of workin class dogs

January 5, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |