Winning $355M lottery tickets sold in Idaho, Wash. state
January 5th, 2011

Winning $355M lottery tickets sold in Idaho, Wash. state

Two tickets matched all six numbers in Tuesday's Mega Millions drawing.

The owners of those tickets, purchased in Idaho and Washington, will split the estimated $355 million jackpot.

The winning numbers were 4, 8, 15, 25 and 47, with 42 being the Mega Ball number.

It also paid to be a fan of the TV show, "Lost." Four of the six numbers drawn in the Tuesday's Mega Millions lottery matched the numbers immortalized by the Lost character Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, who hit a $114 million jackpot off them - only to be haunted by the same numbers in later episodes.

If you played Hurley's numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42), you won $150, according to a payout table on the Mega Millions website, though the same table noted that fixed prizes such as the $150 one "may be paid on a pari-mutuel basis and (be) lower than" that amount.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Lotto • U.S.
  1. sean findley

I think that winning such an absurd amount of money would likely ruin your life. How could you be challenged? You'd have no desire to work. Maybe you'd start a serious charity and bring aboard well-connected board members. You'd have too much control over your world.

January 5, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
    • scroo yoo

It cant be any worse than being so poor you have to decide between rent and food

January 5, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ben

they should instead make three hundred happy millionaires in this crappy economy, how awesome would that be! they should use common sense instead of making two people filthy rich make three hundred happy people- Spread The Wealth!!!!!!!

January 5, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
    • phan

SOCIALIST.

January 5, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Michelle

8 of us play mega on my job. I don' t know if our numbers matched yet, but I hope we got some of them. New York state never wins. It's always way out somewhere. I think it's a setup .

January 5, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jonnyola

I'm very happy for the winners. However, this is gambling of the worst sort. The chances of winning are 176 million to one! I've not always made the best investments but all have grown over time. I have a nice home, nice nest egg and my own business. It's really sad to see people waste their money on this. I suggest you play the lottery this way: set aside the money you would have put on the lottery, then when you don't win, put it in the bank.

January 5, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
    • phan

thats why you only spend maybe 5 bucks a year on the lottery... your odds/chances of winning from just buying 1 ticket is basically the same as the people that buy 100 tickets.. its something like .0000000000000000000001567 with 1 ticket and .0000000000000000000001568 with 100 tickets.

January 5, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. EdR

Every time I read about these big payouts I get aggravated at the lie being told. The money is split and paid out in equal payments over 20 years. The money 20 years will be worth about 1/3 what the money is worth now. Thats why the lump sum payout option is worth so much less than the amount of the winnings. Its a bold face lie. The lotteries should be sued for false advertising.

January 5, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. SixThreeFoSho

Ha! All the socialist comments on here are hilarious. We should make 355 people millionaires? Really? The govt should get half to pay off the Debt? Really? They already get half. And you believe that they would do something responsible with it? Wahahah!
    Congrats to the winners! You do what you want and feel with it. You spent your money and beat the odds. Live the dream, baby.

January 5, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • phan

i know. its hilarious...

January 5, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philthy

Wow, I wonder how much of those winnings are going to the government.

January 5, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Nutan Patel

Congratulations to the winners. Wishing them the best of everything!

January 5, 2011 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. unitwan

awesome

January 5, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kimber Doiron

Wow. Congrats to the very lucky winners. Hope they enjoy it but spend most of it helping others. Nobody NEEDS that much "change" in their lives.

January 5, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. killmoreturtles

I can't believe how many people truly believe they are going to win the lotto. They all think the same thing: I am going to win, because I am going to share my wealth to help others. They then pray to their god and ask him to help him just this one time and that they will be forever greatful to him and will will serve him, if they win.
    I waited 20 minutes behind some black lady that spent $50 dollars on lotto tickets. And you could definitely tell she did not have that kind of money to spend. She told the employee, ' I know Jesus is going to help me'.
    To all you people out there, if you do not make enough money to save an appropriate amount for when you are too old to work, stop spending it on lotto tickets! IGOD is not coming to help you! The is no GOD, you FOOLS!

January 5, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Beth

Why is it new yorkers never win the NY LOTTERY!!

January 5, 2011 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • smc

Over on the ABC News website, there is a story that says, "New York state leads the way with 23 Mega Millions winners and more than half of those winners came from New York City."

January 5, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mr_almonte

I bet some 92 year old red neck farmer won it!!!!!!!!! Smh

January 5, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sidewinder

Congrats to those lucky ducks!

$30.00 in quick picks later...ugh, lol. Off to work. What a sucker.

January 5, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. joe

don't tell anyone..especially relatives.. and move out of the country... wire your money to where you are at.. go NOW

January 5, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |