Winning $355M lottery tickets sold in Idaho, Wash. state
January 5th, 2011

Winning $355M lottery tickets sold in Idaho, Wash. state

Two tickets matched all six numbers in Tuesday's Mega Millions drawing.

The owners of those tickets, purchased in Idaho and Washington, will split the estimated $355 million jackpot.

The winning numbers were 4, 8, 15, 25 and 47, with 42 being the Mega Ball number.

It also paid to be a fan of the TV show, "Lost." Four of the six numbers drawn in the Tuesday's Mega Millions lottery matched the numbers immortalized by the Lost character Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, who hit a $114 million jackpot off them - only to be haunted by the same numbers in later episodes.

If you played Hurley's numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42), you won $150, according to a payout table on the Mega Millions website, though the same table noted that fixed prizes such as the $150 one "may be paid on a pari-mutuel basis and (be) lower than" that amount.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Lotto • U.S.
  1. Angela Benton

Congrats to all the winners and many more great things that comes your way:-]

January 5, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. jezzmn

Congratulations to the winners. Here is sound advice on what to do with your money. Invest most of it in Gold bullion and stash it in ten parts of the World. The rest invest in low risk stocks and live off the percent.

January 5, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Shaun

Tax on the poor... seriously I only see poor people buying these tickets. So.. they have money for cell phones, cable tv, and lotto tickets but expect me to give the gov more tax money to subsidize their section 8 housing, medical care, etc?

January 5, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. LaJoe

I love some of these comments about donating everything. How much off your yearly income do you donate to charity you hypocrite. I bet it's not much if any.

January 5, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cher M

For those of you who say "its always some farmer from Idaho who wins"...23 Mega Million winners are actually from New York and half from the city of NY!

January 5, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. dax

I'd go crazy with that much money! I'd buy a 1,000 acre ranch in Texas and invest in Halliburton. Then I would start my own University and count the profits while I'm sitting on my solid gold toilet!

January 5, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. Heriberto alviter

Man i almost won probably this friday

January 5, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jm

Ejoy thé money

January 5, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. art vandolay

I am actually an architect. Have you seen the Guggenheim? Yes, I designed that, and it really didn't even take me that long!
    Courtesy of Art Vandolay

Ps, I'm a little confused with the blog. Did Sarah Palin win the Mega Lottery? Or is she just a Megalomaniac?

January 5, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rodney

Congrads on winner. Personal thats 2 rich 4 me, i just wanna get out of debt, finish up school and invest a lil here and there and im fine. So if any1wanna help me reach that goal, drop me a email.

January 5, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. tony

The grammer and spelling in here is terrible. I am a high school graduate, and not the smartest person on earth by far but, is this not the most disturbing thing in the news today?
    Am I offending anyone by saying that we as a nation should be ashamed when the biggest news is money. One more thing, money represents time spent working. Work harder, your grandparents did and without a cell phone.
    PEACE.

January 5, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Frank

People of the United States.
    Half of 335 Million is what;167.5 Million.By the time you get done with Federal,State ,Local and Capital Gains Tax,these people will be lucky to walk away with what ,25 Million each.
    Ok, 25 MIL is good but 167.5 would be a Hellua lot better,the Government always makes out on these Lottories!

January 5, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. sl1980

And winners of the mega millions. if you decide to give to charity double check there history

January 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gordon

Hey everyone i have a question what if a person is on welfare and suddenly this person won the lotto what will happen they automatically not on welfare? such as WIC or other welfare benefits?

January 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |