Gibbs to 'TP' White House if Auburn Tigers win championship
Press Secretary Robert Gibbs says if Auburn wins the BCS Championship on Monday, he will return to "roll' the White House.
January 6th, 2011

Gibbs to 'TP' White House if Auburn Tigers win championship

As his beloved Tigers get ready for the BCS National Championship game Monday, Robert Gibbs wants to bring an Auburn University tradition to the White House.

Gibbs, the soon-to-be ex-White House press secretary, told CBS college football guru Tony Barnhart that if Auburn wins, he will return to “roll” or “TP” the White House, or at least part of it. The “The Tony Barnhart Show” is scheduled to air Thursday night.

According to Politico, Gibbs said, “If Auburn wins, I will come back. I will get a little agreement with the Secret Service. We’ll put a couple of rolls (of toilet paper) up there, and then I can help take it down so it doesn’t look like we trashed the place.”

Some of you might be thinking, What the …??

Being an Auburn grad, I know a little about this tradition. After Auburn wins a football game or other significant sporting event, fans flock to the intersection of College Street and Magnolia Avenue.

It’s known as Toomer’s Corner, after the drugstore that produces the lemonade that Esquire magazine once suggested was made by God himself.

Fans mob the intersection after a victory, often forcing police to simply shut down two major arteries through downtown.

There, we hurl roll after roll of toilet paper into the live oaks across from the drugstore. After a big win, everything on the corner is covered in the white stuff, even the power lines and eagle-adorned brick entryways to the university.

It can get rather messy, as you can see here.

Gibbs attended North Carolina State University, where he played goalkeeper for the Wolfpack soccer team, but he was born and raised in the city of Auburn.

Gibbs told Barnhart that he thinks President Obama understands how important Monday’s game between Auburn and the Oregon Ducks is to him, Politico reported. Gibbs further said he’s worn the same Auburn shirt for every Tiger victory this year, even when everyone else was wearing a suit.

“He gets how big a deal this is for me. He enjoys and loves college football,” Gibbs told Barnhart. “I’ve watched some of their games in my office. I’ve got a pretty decent-size TV in there, thankfully. Sometimes it’s hard. One week we were on the road, and I had to talk to the advance people about making sure that we had some TVs and could watch some games if we needed to.”

War Eagle, Mr. Gibbs. See you in Glendale.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • College football • Politics • Sports
  1. Disrespectful

Everyone is missing the point. It doesn't matter what other presidents have done have allegedly done at the White House or what your opinion of the past presidents might be. That is the same argument that we all used on our parents when we were children and were in trouble. We would automatically say, but Billy did X and it was worse so it's okay if I do Y. No it's not okay. If Auburn has the tradition to toliet paper a tree, then fine. In my town, that is a crime and kids get arrested. The White House should be respected, especially by the people that we as tax payers allow to live and work there. If Gibbs valdalizes a tree at my house, I want him arrested for it. How much will it cost me for the secret service to clean it up? Do you think Gibbs is going to clean it up? Respect the office no matter what political party holds the seat.

January 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Frank

As a private citizen of the US how can I ensure this moron is help accountable for defacing public property, brought before an appropriate court and punished? It is the least we should do for someone that not only demonstrates intent, but publishes it, in advance.

Of course, the current resident of the WH will laugh this off, if not actually participating, but it is not his house, it is our house, and we, the people, do not have to stand for this indiginity.

January 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon King

Yet you are fine with Cheney lying us into Iraq to enrich Halliburton?

January 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Drew

This is exactly why I hope and pray that Oregon wins this game. I've never heard of a more dumb tradition than rolling an old oak tree after a win. How about they players just count the money they get paid for winning – It's paper.. and apparently at Auburn it grows on trees.. lol!

January 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. George Sales

As A Gator Alum, I love this Auburn tradition. We have many time-honored traditions among the schools in the SEC. Winning the national championship is also becoming an SEC tradition. This will be the fifth consecutive. All good and loyal SEC fans are cheering for "our Auburn family". GO WAR TIGERS!!!

January 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Quackygurl

GO DUCKS!!!

January 6, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Aaron

I am not rooting for Auburn for this alone!!! I am not an Obama fan nor an Auburn fan but I love the fact that they are bringing a little college tradition to the White House!!! Good for all of them and War Eagle!!!

January 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Duckfart

Is he going to wipe with it first?
    I think that would make it more newsworthy!! GO DUCKS!!

January 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Christopher Romero

WAR EAGLE!!!!

January 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Captain_Colossal

tell this moron to f.u.ck off he aint toilet papering my white house because his crappy cheater college wins.

but i need not worry for they lose

and just as a side note, "war eagle" is something fat southern losers came up with because it sounds cool to say

January 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Duckfart

Now that C.C. is funny!!

January 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sith Happens

I was born in southern Tennessee and raised in north Alabama. I came from a relatively large, low-income family, started working when I turned 16 to help make ends meet, played sports throughout high school, but went to college on full academic scholarships. I worked full-time in school and married young, but still managed to get a good education. Now I work for NASA and make a pretty decent salary. I run 30 miles a week, have a wife of 14 years and two kids, and own a house and two cars (both of which are paid for). I have zero debt. My property tax is among the lowest n the nation, and my kids go to schools that are consistently ranked among the top five percent in the nation. If saying "War Eagle!' makes me a "fat southern loser" (or a "redneck" as others here have so eloquently put it), I think I'm okay with that.

January 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sam

Well said, Alicia....read it carefully and Gibbs said he was going to pick a "spot"....not do the whole WH....I am proud to be part of the AUBURN FAMILY, because we are ALL IN!!!. It is GREAT to be an AUBURN TIGER!!! WAR EAGLE.....

January 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. RJ

I think it's sad thatt he author f this story actually had to explain what TP'ing was...as if it's some ritual that only takes place in Auburn. Sorry, but it's done all over, and "usually" by juveniles and not adults.

January 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. mario

Wouldn't that just tick off Cheryl Crow! According to her you should only use one piece of TP at a time!

January 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jason

Whats he gonna do when they take the championship away for cheating?

January 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Kelly4AU

Love that people are posting without reading the article. Rolling Toomer's is a time honored tradition. It is in good fun. It is not meant to be disrespectful.

January 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. daveinla

Kinda of shows the respect that the socialist who run our nation now have for the great symbols of the United States of America. During the War of 1812 men died trying to defend Washington D.C. and the WH was burned to the ground. Abe Lincoln walked its halls. FDR met with Churchill there during WWII. JFK backed down the Soviets during the Cuban Missile Crisis while working from the Oval Office. LBJ announced he would not seek another term while addressing the American people from the WH and Nixon resigned while sitting these as well. Sure, lets make it part of a fraternity style prank.

January 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply