2 injured in explosions at Maryland state offices
Emergency officials respond to the scene in Annapolis, Maryland after devices were found in government buildings.
January 6th, 2011

2 injured in explosions at Maryland state offices

[Updated at 5:45 p.m. ET]  Two Maryland state employees suffered slightly burned fingers when they opened packages containing incendiary devices that set off a flash of fire, smoke and a sulfur smell, authorities said.

The packages were sent through the mail to two state office buildings. One was addressed to Gov. Martin O'Malley, said Maryland State Police spokesman Greg Shipley. The other was addressed to the Maryland Department of Transportation, officials said.

One of the packages had holiday stamps and both resembled the shape of a book, police said.

[Posted at 2:15 p.m. ET] Two Maryland state government office buildings were evacuated Thursday after small explosions left one person with minor injuries, a Maryland state government official with knowledge of the situation told CNN.

Authorities responded to devices found in the mailroom of a state House office building in Annapolis, Maryland, and at the Maryland Department of Transportation headquarters in Hanover, Maryland, said Philip McGowan, a spokesman for Annapolis Mayor Joshua Cohen.

CNN affiliate WTOP reported that two packages "gave off a small explosion or flare-up when they were opened" at two Maryland state government buildings. One package was at the Jeffrey Building on Francis Street in Annapolis and another was at the Department of Transportation building in Hanover, the station said. Hanover is southwest of Baltimore.

The Jeffrey Building in Annapolis houses the state Homeland Security office, the Secretary of State and Veterans Affairs offices and some divisions of the governor's office, according to state property managers.

The Annapolis police bomb squad and firefighters are responding, McGowan told CNN. The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the state bomb squad are also rushing to the buildings, he said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Maryland
  1. Cesar

@Phil: Right, it is worse, but I think law enforcement is better now than back then both in technology and staff. Look forward to the day our SWAT destroys a group of drug dealers from Mexico in our country. I guess in some cases chemicals are a factor, but poor economics are a factor as well. "El Chapo" Mexico's biggest kingpin who made Forbe's list of billionaires, said that his biggest fear is being back at the poverty level.

January 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

Hi Cesar! Hi, phil!
    I'm just glad that nobody was more severely injured/or killed as a result of this. It amazes me that people will go to such horrendous lengths to try and prove their point, whatever it is.

This type of bombing, to me, is the epitome of cowardice. But then, all of them are, in my opinion!

January 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. phil

Well, the law enforcement in the town I grew up in was different just like everything else we discussed is. It was this one man, Burt Chase(RIP) who was our town law. We put a tin badge on him and paid him to walk up and down main street all day. He wasn't a drunkkard per say, but he'd take a nip now and then. We had one gas station with two pumps, regular and diesel. The gas pump had a tin can with a slot where you put your money, or an IOU if you were caught short. So Burt didn't have much to do. Gawd I miss those days.

January 6, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. phil

Hay there banasy! Glad to see we don't need to be gtg and chicago tonight. Cesar and I were just discussing how things have changed, and why people do this crazy stuff. (he he...I guess you could already see that LOL) Good to see you! (and I hope my 'bad hair day' comment didn't upset you the other day, I just meant we all have our off- days and should respect that)

January 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. phil is gonna be Philip from now on

While you two are here, I'm gonna go by Philip from now on. Not b/c of troll's, I really don't know why...it just popped in my head while remembering the good old days just now. That's the name everyone who knows me uses anyway. (shrug)

January 6, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

@Philip; Fair enough, Philip.

January 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Frank

This almost looks like a job for Napolitano.

January 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

@Phillip:
    Nah, the bad-hair day didn't bother me...I was just wondering if you had a crystal ball! I really don't snark here too much; someone has to really cheese me off for me to spout! I don't ever make broad statement about anyone's religion either; that's when you'll really know when it's REALLY not me! (Except the day you were Ahkmed; even then it really wasn't about Islam in general!)

I really like what you and Cesar have to say...and it peeves me somewhat when trolls abuse their first-amendment rights to talk trash under someone else moniker! And I know our names are shared by many; it's just some may not know and harbor resentments that are not justified. Happily, I do know the style in which most of the people I respect here write in!

And Cesar, I'm glad you're Cesar again-I love that name! Jeez, I get confused when people change their s/n's...I have used banasy forever, and I probably always will.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Nothing. But there ya go! 🙂

January 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

@banasy: Hi and nice to be reading your posts. Been able to spot the monkey doing the trash talk, but haven't seen it for a good 5/6 days. When I spot it, will make a big deal of it as it is so darn annoying.

January 6, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jeff

muslims

January 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • King James

Probably U a McVaye follower.

January 7, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

@Cesar:
    Spot the monkey! Love it!

@jeff: dolt

January 6, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tomcat

@ Philip and Cesar..sorry havnt been around much. Dealin with some stuff ( you know phil) be back soon

January 7, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Hoping everything goes well for you tomcat. (smile) good night

January 7, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. ladylizin dc

Fear not. this a n american birthright terrorist.

January 7, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. guest

My goodness..fish dying..bird's committing mass sucide..a top biochemist murdered..mailrooms in D.C. with exploding bomb's. What's a gal to think? Something's rotten in the 'state of Denmark" or rather washington D.C.Suppose our corrupt adminstration is getting ansty and wishes to rev. obama's agenda up.(now that his hand's are tied) by planting bombs in mailrooms. Nothing like terrifying the natives and declare martial law. I suspect a half year before the next election we may see a falseflag operation.

January 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |