One of two Mega Millions winners revealed
Carolyn and Jim McCullar of Washington will split the $380 million prize with a winner in Idaho.
January 6th, 2011

One of two Mega Millions winners revealed

Mega Millions jackpot winner Jim McCullar and his wife, Carolyn, of Ephrata, Washington, stepped forward on Thursday to claim their half of the $380 million prize.

The other winner, in Idaho, has yet to come forward.

McCullar bought the ticket at a Safeway store in Ephrata using a combination of his and his wife's birthdays. This was the second time the numbers have brought them luck. He won $18,000 in Keno a few years ago, he said.

A jovial McCullar described the moment he and his wife confirmed they had the winning numbers, sitting in front of their computer with the ticket in hand and the Washington lottery website opened.

Changing the world with $380 million

"I said, 'look at this and look at that.' She looked and she studied, and she looked and she studied, and she looked at me and she screamed," he said.

"Tears started flowing down and I looked at her and I started crying. All she could say was, 'is this real, is this real?' And I says, 'I pinched myself already. We're awake and this is real.'"

Read more about the Mega Millions winners
Post by:
Filed under: Lotto
  1. Julio

I would move back to Mexico, the US economy blows.

January 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. oleg

good for them.

January 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. themoi

If I ever won something that big and had to appear it would be with a fake name wearing in a Richard Nixon mask with my voice altered then I would immediately join the Witness Protection Program where nobody would be able to find me. .

January 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon King

Most people have extended family and friends they want to watch grow up and live their lives and be part of it. Very few want to forget all their kids and grandkids and go away. Thats the problem, trying to bring that money into an existing lifestyle.

January 6, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Stephen

I bet $$$ that the husband will soon be in Vegas with 3-4 blondes on each arm..living the life while his wife stays behind in a recovery room from undergoing a complete facelift and body makeover...

January 6, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. El Guapo

Retired! They should be winning Bingo games at the local nursing home, not multimillion dollar drawings.

January 6, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Blessed

If you drive more than 10 miles to purchase your lottery ticket, you have a greater chance of dying in a car crash than winning the jackpot.

January 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Holly

I agree w/ Jesus!! RIGHT ON!! Who would want to be married anyway!!

January 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cliff

Go to Vegas and put it all on Black,...........

Truely ,....disappear and enjoy.!

January 6, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jon King

The sad truth is that extreme amount of winnings ruins almost everyone who has ever had it. Every person you ever said hi too is up your tail for money. Your kids and grandkids end up lazy messes. The best stories are usually the ones where they win a few $100000, keep it quiet and just allow themselves to relax a little and still live the same basic lifestyle.

January 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • av

totally true

January 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. fahrmaiden

They are so lucky... I hope it brings them much much happiness and no sorrow!!!

January 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Slotracer

Congrats... now go hire some serious security!

January 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Name*jake

They deserve to win. Older people sin less, so they are less likely to use the money for negative purposes..They will not be in strip clubs and buying 90 luxury cars..God did not want any of you on here to win..

January 6, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wonder Woman

It's a gamble like everything else in this world. Don't be bitter and jealous. Just wish them the best and move on. YOU chose whether to participate or not if you buy the tickets. I choose not to b/c I think it's a waste of money. Things are tough all around. But you have to be happy for them, not miserable for yourselves.

January 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cool

I think it's great they won. Ephrata is a near-ghost town in the middle of the desert, but you're probably eaten french fries made there. We drove through there a couple years ago, and I told my son it was "Radiator Springs" from Cars. Lots of things boarded up. This will be part of local lore for the next 100 years. They probably came forward because living in that area they don't realize that there are lots of evil folks waiting to take advantage of them. I doubt they'll get divorced, as they live in a simple farming area, and are probably quite happy.

January 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. masterblaster

Think someone should do a tv special on past winners..."where are they now?" Bet most of them are worse off then before or dead. I pray this couple is able to enjoy themselves.

January 6, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • RoqDawg

I guess you have missed the shows that have already been on about previous lottery winners.

January 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |