Ground zero construction workers win second prize in lottery drawing
The 18 winners work at the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan.
January 7th, 2011

Ground zero construction workers win second prize in lottery drawing

A lucky band of ground zero construction workers scored a $250,000 prize in a Christmas Eve Mega Millions lottery drawing, picking five of six numbers correctly, the New York Lottery says.

The 18 men, who work at the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan, say they ran a workplace pool in which each of them chipped in $5.

The group got a check for $165,075 - after taxes - which left each man pocketing $9,170.

They "couldn't believe it at first," said John Kennedy, one of the 18. "We thought we were getting our legs pulled."

Kennedy said he accepted the groups' second-place prize December 27 on behalf of his co-workers at the Lottery's New York Customer Service Center in Manhattan.

"It was a nice little Christmas bonus for all of us," he said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Lotto • New York
  1. Philip

tomacat, you are quite welcome sir, and know that you have many fellow firefighter's to assist you in this endeavor.

January 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Maureenzanangel

I know this post started out congratulating construction workers on winning big sum in MMs jackpot and ended with talk about ff's in regards to ground zero, so......
    I want to add a comment to all firemen/firewomen everywhere-
    thank you for your selfless service to the wonderful people in USA.I personally do not know of one fire staff member, but I am truly appreciative of their willingness to keep us all safe from harm. I live in District 6 in Vancouver, Wa.

January 8, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Maureenzanangel

I also include all police, EMTs, and others who serve the public and risk their own safety each day-to ensure our safety. Thank you so very much!

January 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dumb but not dumbest

I have to say that the comments and the topic of this is good news to read congrats to the workers bless you guys and gals bless the life risking forces of the USA I'm proud to be an amarican

January 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dumb but not dumbest

I'm really bambam

January 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

What about us who work the oilfields? Without us, you wouldn't have gas for the firetuck, ambulance, and police vehicles. A lot of us "oilfield trash" die securing your oil supply, without one kind word being said on our behalf. When one of us die on a drilling rig, it barely makes the local paper let alone national headlines. That's OK though. We knew the risks going in and are very well paid.

January 9, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

That last comment was directed @Maureen, but if the shoe fits your selective bleeding heart, feel free to wear it.

January 9, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

@dum dum...America is spelled with a big "A" in case you didn't know.

January 9, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Maureenzanangel

I did include "all others", in my post who serves the public and lays down their life for the sake of our safety. That would include you Phil. I am just a visual passerbyer who took time out of my day to show appreciation to deserving people from all walks of life. I never dreamed that any comment I share (in innocence) would upset you Phil. God bless you! I actually started out congratulating the construction workers who won the big 2nd prize for the Mega Millions. Instead of being sore that my ticket didn't win (God only knows I really could have used the money), I decided to be the better person and express my happiness for those who did win. I think I deserve a good cry!

January 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Maureenzanangel

@ Philip,
    sorry I misspelled your name.

January 9, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |