D.C. post office evacuated after envelope ignites, police say
Police respond to a post office in Washington D.C. after an envelope ignited Friday.
January 7th, 2011

D.C. post office evacuated after envelope ignites, police say

[Updated at 4:52 p.m. ET] An envelope that ignited at a Washington postal facility was addressed to Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, CNN confirms.

The building at 3300 V Street NE has been evacuated.

The envelope that ignited was not opened and did not go off in an employee's hands, a law enforcement source said. The person tossed it into a sorting bin and then smelled smoke. A source on the scene said that all the employees had been accounted for.

A U.S. Department of Homeland Security official said there are "similar characteristics" but no proven connection to incidents Thursday of mailed devices igniting in two Maryland state offices.

[Posted at 3:48 p.m. ET] Metropolitan police are on scene at a northeastern Washington postal facility where at least one envelope has ignited, police spokeswoman Officer Tish Gant said.

The building has been evacuated, she said.

CNN affiliate WJLA-TV reported there were no injuries.

The incident comes a day after packages that police say each contained a small battery and electric match ignited in two Maryland state offices.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • District of Columbia
  1. Snooze Reader

I love reading these articles purely for the comments at the end. You guys are hilarious! I feel like I'm in junior high again with how childish the conversation gets. Thanks for the entertainment. And my guess is that the flaming envelopes are failed mail bombs.

January 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jael

This is so scary how could someone do that

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVu0D-FbCc&w=640&h=360]

January 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tim

Holy crap there are still post offices? Envelopes thats that little rectangle thing i click to send right? We should all be afraid of anyone who still uses enveloped mail anyway.

January 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bob

Wolf Blitzer Visa,has expired!Time to go home now,you have 24 Hours!Breaking News!

January 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TheMovieFan

Crazy Tea Baggers.

January 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. a real american

Homeland Security had better do something about these Tea Party terrorists, before someone gets killed!

January 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. KoolaidDrinker

*Breathing heavily* How dare you insult him!!! Argghh!! Things are so wonderful now that he's arrived!! Repent!

January 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jeff Frank

Dept. of Homeland Security says the incidents have similiar characteristics (my spelling ok so far), but no proven connections. This is EXACTLY what these idiots want to hear too. Do you know why? It's simple. It's because the perpatrators KNOW they have'nt been made yet. Plus it's a way of massaging my mind and others so we forget about it. These ARE VERY SERIOUS CRIMES going on our the east coast. Let the FBI and CIA handle it DHS.

January 7, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tiabear

The least the snake that runs our could do is give the poor people their cars he promised. Was that a lie too? Oh yeah... I suppose it was a lie. Heh.

January 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. HuhReally

Can all of us just agree that things aren't improving for this country? Can we all just look at how both parties have done NOTHING for us except rip us off? I make $9 an hour while putting myself through school and I take my job much more serious than our elected officials do. I thought Obama campaigned he was going to "hit the ground running". He's like a guy courting a woman telling her how wonderful he is and how amazing in bed he is, yet when it comes down to crunch time she's asking "is it in yet?". Quit worrying about golf, sports, or The View. I don't want someone who's my buddy as my president. I want a leader that works tirelessly to fulfill his/her campaign promises. He's all hype.

January 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • marconi darwin

Actually Obama has done as well as he could. He got health-care Version 1.0 passed. He repealed DADT just like he said he would. He has made progress on the economy by stemming the rot. The DJIA is back to where it was before the finiancial crisis. He did this in two years with the opposition doing everything to destroy him.

Oh the jobs? Well, they aren't coming back. Not after the GOP has taken over, and not after Obama extended the cuts. That one you can blame Obama.

January 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. 2100

Post 37. Shut up and quit crying!!!............

January 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ThomasD

@huhreally. Very nice post. Good analogy.

January 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

@HuhReally. Very well said, with one exeption concerning things improving When I was a young man like yourself, a letter-bomb was a hairpin and a twisted rubber band. When the selected target individual opened the envelope, it went dth-dth-dth-dth...dth.....dt.......th. Scary stuff for that one person. Now everybody's scared. More better.

January 7, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

And concerning your wish-list president, I'd be happy with one who couldn't trace his roots to Arabian slave masters or a WWII war profiteer/Nazi accomplice. Probably too much to ask, but more realistic than wishing for one who kept his campaign promises.

January 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

Oh, for heaven's sake!!! A gmdm President is only as good as the Congress he has! I have NEVER is my life seen ANY President fulfill his "promises"; Congress does everything they can to thwart them at every turn so they can NEVER be fulfilled!!! Anyway, the wording is usually "I will work to change...." rather than "I promise to.....". It's always one party trying to defeat what the other party wants to do...they are worse than kids playing Red Rover, for God's sake!!!

And ANYBODY can trace the nefarious actions of their ancestors if one goes far enough back! That's just baloney!

Crikey!