Central figure in 'Band of Brothers' dead at 92
Retired U.S. Army Major Richard D. Winters, right, gives thanks at the Emmys alongside Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks.
January 10th, 2011

Central figure in 'Band of Brothers' dead at 92

Richard "Dick" Winters, a decorated hero of World War II and the central figure in the book and miniseries "Band of Brothers," has died. He would have turned 93 years old in February.

Winters died January 2 and was buried after a private funeral Saturday, according to retired Army Col. Cole Kingseed, a close friend and co-author of Winters' memoirs.

Winters began his career in the Army shortly before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941, and he volunteered to become a paratrooper, according to his wartime memoirs "Beyond Band of Brothers."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • War
  1. Helpful Hint Heloise

You catch more flies with honey

Veterans looking for assistance can always go to http://www.va.gov or va-facility in your area.

January 11, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. ThomasD

Don't recall asking for anything. Observation only.

January 11, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. ThomasD

Oh you're callin' me that? Hahahaha. Good one, boy.

January 11, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gma

@Heloise: It's pretty obvious you have never tried to ask for anything from the VA. Those mufkrs!!!!

January 11, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. ThomasD

@Gma. I hear ya. I helped my father fight till the day he died to get the help he deserved.

January 11, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. John Schwendler

There aren't many members of the Greatest Generation left. Mr. Winters certainly got, and gave, his money's worth. There was a time in this country when there were millions of Dick Winters, men and women who never hesitated to answer their country's call. They were born after WW I, grew up in the Depression, went off to war, and came back to build a great economy and a great country. We all should be in awe of every last one of them front line soldier, back line nurse, truck driver, cook, whatever. The National American cemeteries scattered across Europe and the Pacific are a testimony to America's best, and proof to the world that the only land Americans ever wanted, was enough space to bury her dead. May Mr. Winters rest in well-earned peace, and may his family take comfort in the life he led.

January 11, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gma

@ThomasD: How is that NONE of our illustrious Presidents have even tried to fix the VA?

January 11, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. LOW LYF

BUT RUFFNUT YOU ARE GERMAN IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER

January 11, 2011 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

There was a movie with Tom Hanks about Mr. Winters in "Saving Private Ryan." One of the best movies I have ever watched. Glad this American hero made it passed 90 years old.

January 11, 2011 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
    • jcs88

Saving Private Ryan was not about Captain Winters – the series Band of Brothers was. The story in Saving Private Ryan is mostly fictional.

January 11, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. ProudLiberalVeteran

Truly, The Greatest Generation. Thank you, Mr. Winters, for helping save the world. Sadly, it is the folly of man that we forget. Sleep well

January 11, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. jcs88

Why is this not front page news?

January 11, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. DSH

…When asked if he was a hero, Winters replied … "I was not a hero, but I served with heroes."

If you have an opportunity … read some of the quotes from the men that Winters led during WWII. Their love, respect and admiration for the man remains just as strong, 65 years later. A real treasure.

January 11, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Norman

My father, God rest his soul, was part of the European Theater and in the Army artillery. He and I watched this show at least twice together and since he passed I watched it again by myself. Each time I cried. Winters, along with the entire generation that served, are heroes.

Today, reading some of these comments I want to cry again but for different reasons. How dare those of you who are disrespecting the subject you posted a comment over. The generation deserves our undivided attention and support. Thank you.

January 11, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. ThomasD

Norman, you're right. I apologize for losing my patience here. This wasnt the place for it. Not a day goes by that I wouldnt trade everything to once again sit at my fathers table sharing his much-too-strong coffee and hear him tell of these brave souls and his own service. Again, no disrespect intended.

January 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. 6 figure careers

Acting now to fill in the gap can go a long way when you actually get the opportunity to interview for new 6 figure careers.

August 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |