Clerk: Judge John Roll 'greatly dedicated to his family,' 'family of his staff'
A photo of U.S. District Judge John Roll sits at a makeshift memorial.
January 10th, 2011

Clerk: Judge John Roll 'greatly dedicated to his family,' 'family of his staff'

U.S. District Judge John Roll, one of the victims in the Arizona shooting, will leave behind a  legacy as a man who put excellent attention into every component of his life, his former clerk spoke told CNN's T.J. Holmes.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Courts • Crime • Gabrielle Giffords • Judge • TV-American Morning
  1. Marilyn Plott

His murder is representative of the battle between the rule of law and the tyranny of gun violence in this country. And the struggle between rampant political slander and truth. Thanks to CNN and MSNBC, we get the research and facts to fight the lies broadcast on FOX, which has deteriorated into a fundraising branch of the Tea Party.

January 10, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Christa Reisinger

an open mind would serve you well, Marilyn. Let's not jump to conclusions and blame this tragedy on FOX News, that is going down a slippery slope. This is exactly what we seem to do best, one side blaming the other – instead of finding solutions to the problems we all face. The left blames the right, and the other way around. Can we accept the fact that this guy was mentally unbalanced and could have been pushed over the edge by anybody?

January 10, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Marilyn,
      Not that I am going to change your mind but I was watching CSPAN Sat. morning and there was a Caller who read a newspaper artical out of an AZ.
      Newspaper that reported the Killer was a big POT Smoker.I have not known any Conservatives to be big POT Smokers.They are usally liberals,plus also in the artical apperently either before or after the last election Nancy Pelosi made the comment for whateever reason that" Representative Gifford is Dead to me".

January 10, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • kevin k. in Newport Beach, CA

Marilyn,
      You are so misguided...You should do more for your-self and watch less MSNBC. Please read a book or if possible a newspaper...your ignorance is unbelievable to those who can actually think for ourselves and don't need to have propaganda read to us as our only source of "news".
      Please stop the ignorant "hate talk" and become an informed American citizen as opposed to a Socialist Lamb.
      Just try it...this Great Nation will be a better place without nonsensical comments like yours.

January 10, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

People of the United Sates of America,
    This is a Major Tragedy for this Country,losing a 9 year old is especailly painful.
    The System again seems to have failed to stop a mad man when it was aware of him.Violence in American Politics is never the answer.

January 10, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Catherine

I am a relative of the little girl that was killed in the shooting. She did not deserve to die like that. I thin that the shooter should spend the the rest of his life in prison without the chance for parole. He killed my relative.

January 10, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • timzukas

i understand that some government employees were killed and/or hurt, but i think the charges filed and the news reported should be equally as important and in depth to the regular citizens like the young girl and the elder couple who were married for 55 years and the others

January 10, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

While I agree with some points of Christa and Marilyn, I am not sure why we still allow crazy people to own guns, especially after the Virginia Tech massacre. The leaders of both parties in Washington DC and elsewhere need to call a Point of Order on this Slander and Filth that is emanating from the Cesspool inside and outside the Beltway. Now is the time for a little reflection on how we got to this point in our recent history and how we can move forward. This may not be the end of these types of tradegies, only the beginning. Sadly, I have been fortunate enough to live through the assassinations of JFK, MLK and RFK. I also remember the tone of public discourse at the time. Unfortunately it reminds me of today. It is difficult to explain to me that if you disagree with someone, why do you need to publicize their home address, telephone number, and other personal info and use inflammatory rhetoric to destroy their lives. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

January 10, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Melissa

We can not say for sure that this was a direct result of Faux News or Sarah Palin's little "hit list" though I can say that it certainly adds fuel to the fire. Either Palin is really dumb and did not think that some unstable people would take her literally... Or she was really smart and knew some unstable people would take her literally. It breaks my heart that an innocent child is dead. Not to mention several elderly, one of whom jumped in front of his wife to shield her from the bullets. I hope this was a huge wake up call to those politicians who stir the pot with their hate mongering ideologies.

January 10, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. keeper

Can someone please explain to me why not one media outlet is discussing how a 23 year old mentally unstable man can walk into a hardware store in Arizona and buy a semi automatic weapon?

Instead of talking about increasing congressional budgets for their personal security why don't they just enact a comprehensive federal hand gun legislation to prevent this from truly ever happening agai

January 10, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. WestmontWriter

How did this guy acquire the weapon? What checks were performed?

January 10, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin G. in Texas

Always amazed in reading posts on CNN at the venom felt by its partisans toward Fox and conservatives. My observation has been that I find, on both Fox and CNN, instances of good reporting and of biased viewpoint peddling.

My prayers, of course, are with the victims here as they are anytime there is senseless violence in our society. The more we learn about this guy who did this, the more it seems like he was deranged and probably incapable of being an adherent to any political paradigm.

I didn't realize until this incident that Congress has made it a special offense if someone attacks them. I knew that they passed laws and regs and then exempted themselves (e.g. ADA, TSA screening etc.). And I understand that they don't participate in social security etc. that all other Americans do. If this is a Congress of the people, they've sure gone to great lengths to carve out for themselves a preferential place in society.

January 10, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dahlia Lovett

I Just Read A Comment on Jered Lee Loughner's Face Book Acc. Someone had better protect Sarah Pallen. Go to Jered's Face Book and look at a Comment that Paul Peanick Wrote. I Read this as A Threat. Someone better do something.

January 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. louise harris

While I am all in favor of a moment of silence for terrible act of violence by this mentally instable person, I certainly feel we should have a moment of silence for every soldier killed, one life has no greater value than another. Also don't be stupid, palin nor pelosi statements or any other political statements had any no bearing on this unstable poor excuse for a person!

January 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fritz

I can understand the motives of some social and political whackonauts and anarchist types for targeting politicians, judges, law enforcement or any type of authority figures. Afterall, this is America. They know the risks. Many believe they only desire power to arrogantly lord over the public. I've caught both sides of the media generating these notions among the crazier fringes of the public. I suspect this guy falls into that catagory. But why target innocent children and old ladies? What harm did they ever do? That's what's got this old geezer so riled. So what was it you murderous little dirtbag? Were you really targeting or just panic shooting with your eyes closed? I can only hope your are crazy and not sane. Because if you are sane, then we're probably screwed as a nation.

January 10, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hema

I think Arizona is barbarian state and probably compafrable to Pakistan, where gun is the law and civilization is 2000 years old. Pakistan is celebrating the assnination of a forward thinking politician, hete republicans are not even willing to admit they need to rethink their gun control, bigotry and hate mongering. Isn't scary that every other person carries a loaded gun and your life is in peril for a smallest provacaton? I guess federal government should issue an advisory asking general public to wear bullet proof west when going to Arizona or buy an automatic rifle at the Pheonix airport before going to rental car booth.

January 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. leakyloo

Her own father knew the truth and spoke clearly in his quote to the press. After numerous previous threats that were very real and fueled by 'politics as usual' this was sadly a very real possibility.

January 11, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jan

I had the honor of working with John Roll when he was a young attorney at the Pima County Attorney's Office. I lost contact with John years ago, but when I learned that he was among the victims of this tragedy, I was shattered. I will always remember John as he was back in the 70's . . . this tall, lanky young man with an incredible grin. My condolences to his family and to all who knew and loved him.

January 12, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |